Newark Beth Israel vs. OKC Southwest Medical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discharged

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to turn one of them down for audition rotations. I don't know much about either residencies or which I'll have a better chance at matching. Honestly, I am just looking for a good program to learn in with a good support system. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on these hospitals?.. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say which you'll match at better, the whole system's a crapshoot, but if when you head back to Newark for an interview it'll be easier to link your schedule up with some NYC or east coast interviews and get more bang for your airfare bucks. Letter of rec writer's more likely to be well known to other residency directors based on sheer proximity to other programs, too.

Last edited:
Integris really likes people from OK or who have ties to the state, look at their residents. Historically they wanted more than one month of rotations but I have heard that this is now being changed. Nice program with good path/lots of procedures but they worked more than pretty much any other program I saw (I think 20 12s with an even split between days and nights and 2 didactic days per week.) Their attendings where very much a mixed bag, a handful of very supportive and very academic people mixed with more community minded people that didn't seem to want to teach at all. The new PD is a great guy though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are two very contrasting places in terms of geography. Do you go to school near one of them?