Newb, clarification please, when to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crookshanks

Juju
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please clarify...

I would like to start med school Fall 2009...
I will be taking CHM 2 Fall 2007, O-Chem I Spring 2008, O-Chem II Summer 2008.

When should I take the MCAT? I don't think I'd be ready by Spring 2008. If I take it August 2008, and I want to retake it, could I retake it Spring 2009?

Also, when do you usually apply for med school....(how many months before you actually start)?

If I have to apply before Spring 2009, but say I took MCAT August 2008 and I want to retake the MCAT, can I take it Spring 2009, and will the school not accept that MCAT? Would it mean I only have one chance to take the MCAT (August 2008) if I want to start med school Fall 2009? If this is the case, could I take the MCAT Spring 2008, before taking O-Chem II, so that I may have a chance of retaking it in August 2008 if need be?

Thanks in advance for the input!

~Julie

Also, WHEN is the MCAT offered? I've heard August...I've heard May...when else?

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone please clarify...

I would like to start med school Fall 2009...
I will be taking CHM 2 Fall 2007, O-Chem I Spring 2008, O-Chem II Summer 2008.

When should I take the MCAT? I don't think I'd be ready by Spring 2008. If I take it August 2008, and I want to retake it, could I retake it Spring 2009?

You best window of opportunity for the MCAT is January 2008-September 2008 for Fall 2009 admissions

Also, when do you usually apply for med school....(how many months before you actually start)?

You will need to start your application in early May, 2008 and will need to submit it as early as June 2008 and as late as October-December 2008

If I have to apply before Spring 2009, but say I took MCAT August 2008 and I want to retake the MCAT, can I take it Spring 2009, and will the school not accept that MCAT? Would it mean I only have one chance to take the MCAT (August 2008) if I want to start med school Fall 2009? If this is the case, could I take the MCAT Spring 2008, before taking O-Chem II, so that I may have a chance of retaking it in August 2008 if need be?

Ochem 2 really doesn't matter all that much for MCAT purposes. The MCAT as it is only contains about 25% of OChem on the BioSci section, and of that, much more is based on the Ochem 1 teaching material. A good review of Ochem during the summer when you take your MCAT (since you'll be in Ochem 2 then) and some books/courses will get you where you need to be.

As for your original question. Based on your coursework, if you finish school in May 2008 with the courses you listed above then you should aim your first shot at the MCAT (and hopefully last) at the end of May dates in 2008. If you don't do well, you can always re-take sometime in late summer 2008 and still get everything into the app in time for admissions.

As for when the MCAT is offered. 2008 dates have not been announced yet, but they will include January '08, April '08, May'08, June '08, July '08 (more than this year), August '08, and September '08 (more than this year).

Thanks in advance for the input!

~Julie

Also, WHEN is the MCAT offered? I've heard August...I've heard May...when else?

You're welcome, hope this is helpful.

Wow, thank you SO much.

To make sure I understand, this means I can take the MCAT whilst I finish up O-Chem I in May 2008. Correct?

And if that doesn't go well...I should take it again during summer, whilst I take O-Chem II. Sorry, I just really want to make sure I get it.

~Julie

Wow, thank you SO much.

To make sure I understand, this means I can take the MCAT whilst I finish up O-Chem I in May 2008. Correct?

And if that doesn't go well...I should take it again during summer, whilst I take O-Chem II. Sorry, I just really want to make sure I get it.

~Julie

I had actually assumed that you'd be done with Ochem 1 if you take the exam at the end of May, but I guess if school is still in session then you'll want to time it to conincide with the end of school without interrupting your studying for finals.

Hope this is helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had actually assumed that you'd be done with Ochem 1 if you take the exam at the end of May, but I guess if school is still in session then you'll want to time it to conincide with the end of school without interrupting your studying for finals.

Hope this is helpful.

Psshh... I'm taking it right smack in the middle of finals week. I'll let you know how I do in about a month.

Psshh... I'm taking it right smack in the middle of finals week. I'll let you know how I do in about a month.

;)

Back in my day (yes i'm talking like my grandpa) i studied for my cancer class final before walking into the MCAT (verbal was first back when I took it).

I heard you used some kind of odd sharpened stick to take it back then. But maybe that person was just pulling my leg ;)

It was only sharpened if you were lucky enough to put the sticks in a protective sleeve. Otherwise you had to pull the graphite (OHHH) out of the wooden casing.

It was horrible, but its nothing compared to the radiation poisoning you get from staring at a CRT all day ;)