When should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maggie L

Reaction score
I am currently looking at taking the MCAT in May of 2022, but is that too late for the application cycle? My other option is to take it in April 2022 but I would need to miss classes and drive 4 hours to get there. Any advice?

Is it worth it to take it in April vs. May? Will taking it in May be of disadvantage to my odds of getting into a med school?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it won't be too late. You'll get your score in June, and secondaries will begin getting sent out right around then.

However, you have to be confident that with whatever score you get on the MCAT, you will proceed with applying. With a May MCAT, you'll likely submit your primary application before your MCAT score returns.

Alternatively, you could submit your primary to a "throwaway" school and then add schools based on your MCAT score.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

As long as you have a score by the time your primary gets verified (generally that's in the second half of June), you'll be fine. Anything up to the middle of May for the MCAT is all the same. Make sure there are test dates available though, as they might be mostly filled up by now.

No, it won't be too late. You'll get your score in June, and secondaries will begin getting sent out right around then.

However, you have to be confident that with whatever score you get on the MCAT, you will proceed with applying. With a May MCAT, you'll likely submit your primary application before your MCAT score returns.

Alternatively, you could submit your primary to a "throwaway" school and then add schools based on your MCAT score.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Can you elaborate on why people apply to a "throwaway" school? What would be an example of a good throwaway school to apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on why people apply to a "throwaway" school? What would be an example of a good throwaway school to apply to?
Applying to a throwaway school has two benefits:
1. You need to apply to a school to get verified
2. If you get a lower MCAT than you were expecting (and decided to pull out of the application cycle), you will only be a reapplicant to that one throwaway school in your next app cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to a throwaway school has two benefits:
1. You need to apply to a school to get verified
2. If you get a lower MCAT than you were expecting (and decided to pull out of the application cycle), you will only be a reapplicant to that one throwaway school in your next app cycle
Thanks appreciate it

Is it absolutely necessary to get your application in at the start of June? What happens if I wait a couple weeks? Or even a month or two? How much does this affect your application?

Is it absolutely necessary to get your application in at the start of June? What happens if I wait a couple weeks? Or even a month or two? How much does this affect your application?
Your chances could go from very good to very bad quickly. Everyone I’ve talked to has said to submit on the first day (or very close to it) or don’t bother submitting at all.

It sounds pretty extreme but there are stories here on sdn about kids who had LizzyM>75 who applied too late and didn’t get in.

A bit of a silly/niche question. I took the MCAT once on Jan 24 2019 and scored a 513. My exam score has now passed the three year expiration date, which means I would likely have to retake my exam to be considered for the class of 2027. Just wondering, are there any programs that accept MCAT scores >3 years? If so, are you able to share which ones (or best resources to find these institutions - MSAR etc). Thanks!

I am currently looking at taking the MCAT in May of 2022, but is that too late for the application cycle? My other option is to take it in April 2022 but I would need to miss classes and drive 4 hours to get there. Any advice?

Is it worth it to take it in April vs. May? Will taking it in May be of disadvantage to my odds of getting into a med school?
Intend to accept the MCAT from the get-go in the year as could really be expected, ideally no later than mid-May before AMCAS application entries start toward the beginning of June. Finishing the test prior will permit you to finish your AMCAS application early, and the previous you present your application, the better.

Your chances could go from very good to very bad quickly. Everyone I’ve talked to has said to submit on the first day (or very close to it) or don’t bother submitting at all.

It sounds pretty extreme but there are stories here on sdn about kids who had LizzyM>75 who applied too late and didn’t get in.
I've been told your chances don't really start going down until after the beginning of July. If you need an extra week or two for reasons in June I doubt submitting it a week or two later would be worse than submitting an application that isn't ready.

How well have you prepared for this MCAT? if you're scoring 512+ on practice tests and feel ready take it in May and submit your application in June or do the safety school thing. The most important factor is how ready you are for the MCAT because if you take it before you are it doesn't matter when you take it you will have to wait and take it again.

I agree with what Proudfather said. Premeds focus way too much on the “when” and the strategy of timing for the MCAT. It doesn’t matter when you take it if you aren’t prepared. I’ve tutored for the MCAT for 2 years, and all of my students who have ignored my advice to postpone or reschedule their mcat because they weren’t ready have had to retake it, or have decided that medical school wasn’t worth the effort. Make absolutely sure before sitting for the exam that you are ready and confident you’re going to get a score you feel comfortable applying with. Being a doctor is a lifelong fulfilling and rewarding career, and too many people jeopardize the long term by trying to shave off a year from the application process and rushing the MCAT.