Newly identified risks: ACE inhibitors in pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some blood pressure drugs previously thought to be safe when taken early in pregnancy now appear to substantially raise the risk of major birth defects, doctors say.

Babies whose mothers took ACE inhibitors in their first trimester were more than twice as likely to be born with serious heart and brain problems than those not exposed to any pressure-lowering medicines, a large study in Tennessee found. Other types of blood pressure drugs did not raise the risk to babies.

ACE inhibitors already carry a strong Food and Drug Administration "black box" warning about their dangers in the later stages of pregnancy, and the label says the drugs should be discontinued when pregnancy is detected. But little has been known about their early effects.

Based on the new findings, taking these drugs during early pregnancy "cannot be considered safe and should be avoided," lead researcher Dr. William Cooper, a Vanderbilt University pediatrician, said in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

The most common defects included holes in the heart and neurological and kidney problems.

Researchers found no increased risk among babies whose mothers took another type of blood pressure medication. But they said it is premature to declare those drugs safe to use during early pregnancy.

In the early 1990s, the FDA required pharmaceutical companies to put warning stickers on ACE inhibitors after the agency received a few reports from women whose babies were harmed. The label warned that ACE inhibitors can cause skull deformities, kidney failure, lung problems and even fetal death when taken in the last two-thirds of pregnancy.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats not new info as far as I'm concerned but it is good info none the less.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSouthwestern said:
I also thought that this was something already in effect.

They have been teaching that at my medical school for at least the last four years.

This is new. The current black box refers to middle to late pregnancy. Those renal complications are well known. What's been unknown is the effect on early pregnancy. I find it interesting that CNS and heart defects were also increased, not just renal. FDA had stated they won't change the black box warning without more evidence though.

mocdoc said:
They have been teaching that at my medical school for at least the last four years.

Agreed.

If something is bad for the baby in late pregnancy why would you give it in early pregnancy. seems a little like russian roulette to me.

In practice I've seen ACE's avoided like the plague because of common sense tells you if something is bad late it probably ain't good early either :eek:

later

Noyac said:
Thats not new info as far as I'm concerned but it is good info none the less.

By my read of the news posting, which I crossposted to SDN, the dangers in later pregnancy were known. It's recently discovered dangers in early pregnancy (previously undiscovered) which made today's news.

I think the reason why this is news is that there are already women out there on ACE inhibitors that of course 1 month into their pregnancy find out they are pregnant.....

More to watch out when intubating a pregnant woman for c-section.

Faebinder said:
I think the reason why this is news is that there are already women out there on ACE inhibitors that of course 1 month into their pregnancy find out they are pregnant.....

More to watch out when intubating a pregnant woman for c-section.

It was brought up during lecture and PBL four years ago at my school that being a reproductive age woman is a relatively strong contraindication for starting ACEI. This might have been due to the bias of the individual giving the lecture, since now we have actual data suggesting that ACEI really is a problem early in pregnancy.

A different biochem small group presenter also told us not to let our grandparents take the new COX-II inhibitors because of prothrmbotic risks. This was about two years before all the data came out.