Newly Pre-PT Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angeldd22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior at UCLA who recently switched into Bio last year since I wanted to pursue the PT career. My GPA isn't exactly the highest (3.0) right now, but I'm aiming to raise it up since I still have a few more pre-reqs and major requirements to do, which I'll take the next year to do. While I'm interested in a few programs right now, I was doing some reading throughout these forums and I have a few questions.
What are inpatient and outpatient observations hours? What types of internships/jobs/volunteer would y'all recommend to satisfy these hours? Of course I want to diversify the types of observation I do, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about in doing this. As I was looking at the application, it said I need to shadow PTs but does it have to be exclusively PTs or can I observe OTs as well? Lastly, do y'all have any tips for me? I'd greatly appreciate any wisdom y'all can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior at UCLA who recently switched into Bio last year since I wanted to pursue the PT career. My GPA isn't exactly the highest (3.0) right now, but I'm aiming to raise it up since I still have a few more pre-reqs and major requirements to do, which I'll take the next year to do. While I'm interested in a few programs right now, I was doing some reading throughout these forums and I have a few questions.
What are inpatient and outpatient observations hours? What types of internships/jobs/volunteer would y'all recommend to satisfy these hours? Of course I want to diversify the types of observation I do, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about in doing this. As I was looking at the application, it said I need to shadow PTs but does it have to be exclusively PTs or can I observe OTs as well? Lastly, do y'all have any tips for me? I'd greatly appreciate any wisdom y'all can give me.
Inpatient hours are hours done in a setting where patients stay overnight, i.e. a hospital. Outpatient hours are practically everything else, hours done usually in a stand-alone clinic where patients do not stay overnight. For hours, you must observe PTs. You can of course observe OTs if you want, but those hours will not count towards your PT hours. As to getting hours, start as early as you can, and ask around at local places. Hospitals are hard to get into, so you may have to wait for a spot, but outpatient clinics are generally pretty easy to find. Aim to have hours in at least 3 settings (inpatient, outpatient, geriatric, pediatric, skilled nursing facility, neuro, etc.). I would try to have at least 100 hours to be safe, with roughly 30 in each setting. Tips I would give you: make a good impression during shadowing so that the PT can later write you a strong and personalized recommendation letter. I'd also suggest that you study for at least a month for the GRE, and when the time comes for essays, start them early so that you have the necessary time to make them great! Make sure to do well in the rest of your major and pre-req classes (preferably A's to boost your GPA), and if you aren't involved in anything outside of your academics, GET INVOLVED! Extracurriculars not only look good on your app, but they also give you things to discuss within your essays and your interviews. I feel like I covered most of the bases, and I'm sure others will add on to what I've said. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! Good luck with this last year :)

Thank you! I have quite a few extracurriculars that I've been a part of since I was a freshman/sophomore, and have had a supervisor job where I regularly train student workers on many different tasks in our department.

But to follow up, exactly how do I start with the observation process? How did you contact the different facilities? What did a typical observation session consist of? And what types of questions did you often find yourself asking during your observations?

Members don't see this ad :)

The best way to get observation hours set up is to call/email/visit clinics/hospitals, let them know you are a student and that you need observation hours, and then set things up that way. Every place runs things differently, so just be flexible in their needs, as they are doing you a favor as well. Some places will not allow you to observe (I had a few rejections due to already having student observers, or they were just too busy to take on students, etc.), but you shouldn't have too much trouble! Make sure you document all of your hours (dates/times/name of PT you observed, as well as contact information) so that when it's time to complete your PTCAS application, you have all of this information available to input. And yes, you do need to observe a PT for PT specific observation hours. Hope this helps! :)

Thank you! I have quite a few extracurriculars that I've been a part of since I was a freshman/sophomore, and have had a supervisor job where I regularly train student workers on many different tasks in our department.

But to follow up, exactly how do I start with the observation process? How did you contact the different facilities? What did a typical observation session consist of? And what types of questions did you often find yourself asking during your observations?
I had a few peers that were also on the PT track, so I shadowed at a lot of the places they did, but honestly you just have to call/email/visit to see (as mentioned above). Every place is different, and have different processes when it comes to shadowing. A typical observation session differed for me depending on the facility. In some, I strictly observed. But in others, I had other duties as an observer, like doing laundry and/or wiping down mats and cleaning up. Just make sure to stay out of the way as much as possible, and try not to ask questions until the end unless the therapist says otherwise. I usually tried not to ask questions in front of the patient, to avoid any uncomfortableness. Remember that you are only observing, and you don't want to impede their session. Typical questions were usually regarding the patient's injury/condition/why the therapist is doing what they are doing, or I asked the therapist about other PT-related things (the application process, their schooling, boards, etc.).

Hello,
This summer I will be completing my observation hours. I completed my first hours at an outpatient private practice this week and figured some approaches out. I have figured out for the most part what questions to ask and when to ask them and who to focus on when observing. However, I had a very awkward situation when speaking with the head PT, or owner, who happened to be on the board of interviews for the DPT program that I plan on applying at. Speaking with him was extremely insightful and I was able to get the jist of the questions that will be asked and what he is looking for in answers. Conversation flowed very well for the beginning portion of me meeting him, however, after his patient left and I ran out of questions, I did not know what exactly to do. I offered help, to clean, anything. But still nothing. So my awkward self began asking questions that I found on the internet that were supposedly good to ask, such as does malpractice affect PTs as much as MDs and DOs, what drew him to the PT field, and what his thoughts were on specializing. All of these questions got a negative, almost defensive response from him. After kind of feeling like I was an annoyance, I ran out of things I felt that I could ask. So I stood there investigating equipment. When he said he had to go to the office, I waited about 25 minutes before another PT came and told me I could go home because the one I had been observing had left. WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE. I guess my question is how do you know you are done observing and when is it appropriate to dismiss yourself and how do you go about doing so? I feel that if I had acted the social cues that my time there was done, it would have saved me from the negative impression I may have left on someone who will eventually have a say in my acceptance to the program.

Hello,
This summer I will be completing my observation hours. I completed my first hours at an outpatient private practice this week and figured some approaches out. I have figured out for the most part what questions to ask and when to ask them and who to focus on when observing. However, I had a very awkward situation when speaking with the head PT, or owner, who happened to be on the board of interviews for the DPT program that I plan on applying at. Speaking with him was extremely insightful and I was able to get the jist of the questions that will be asked and what he is looking for in answers. Conversation flowed very well for the beginning portion of me meeting him, however, after his patient left and I ran out of questions, I did not know what exactly to do. I offered help, to clean, anything. But still nothing. So my awkward self began asking questions that I found on the internet that were supposedly good to ask, such as does malpractice affect PTs as much as MDs and DOs, what drew him to the PT field, and what his thoughts were on specializing. All of these questions got a negative, almost defensive response from him. After kind of feeling like I was an annoyance, I ran out of things I felt that I could ask. So I stood there investigating equipment. When he said he had to go to the office, I waited about 25 minutes before another PT came and told me I could go home because the one I had been observing had left. WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE. I guess my question is how do you know you are done observing and when is it appropriate to dismiss yourself and how do you go about doing so? I feel that if I had acted the social cues that my time there was done, it would have saved me from the negative impression I may have left on someone who will eventually have a say in my acceptance to the program.

Honestly, every person is different, and you will find that there are A LOT of different personalities - and not everyone you will get along with. Maybe things just started off on the wrong foot. Maybe not. I know I didn't get along with everyone either. I feel that your social cues should be on point, because if you even are able to reevaluate the situation, then you know you're aware. My best opinion would be to just continue to be yourself. Relaxx... haha People will love you for you just being you.