Newman Projection

Started by Muggs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Muggs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So given 2-pentanol, I always thought that a Newman projection of it was looking down the C2-C3 axis (with C2 being the front carbon and C3 being the back carbon). In the attached picture, B is the answer. It shows the -OH attached to the back carbon (which I understand can still be C2, you're just drawing it from the other orientation).

First question: Is a newman projection always looking down the C2-C3 axis?
Second: Just to verify, you can draw newman projections "backwards"?; for example, I would have drawn the lowest energy conformation differently, with C2 (one with -OH) being the front carbon.

http://imgur.com/VXAMd