News: correlation implies causality!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haha, check this out.

http://www.devpsy.org/humor/correlation_causality_poll.html

The scientific community is deeply divided on this matter. "It sure makes my job a lot easier." confided neuroscientist Thad Polk. "Those who criticize my work always point out that, although highly correlated, cerebral blood flow is not 'thought'. Now that we know correlation IS causal, I can solve that pesky mind-body problem and conclude that thinking is merely the dynamic movement of blood within cerebral tissue. This is going to make getting tenure a piece of cake!"

Anti-correlationist Travis Seymour is more cynical. "What about all the previous correlational results? Do they get grandfathered in? Like, the old stock market/hemline Pearson's rho is about 0.85. Does this mean dress lengths actually dictated the stock market, even though they did it at a time when correlation did not imply causation? And what about negative and marginally significant correlations? These questions must be answered before the scientific community will accept the results of the poll wholeheartedly. More research is definitely needed." :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

knew it all long. :thumbup:

sweet, now I never have to say post hoc ergo propter hoc ever again. :D