Next step after BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoeguy24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just graduated from undergrad not long ago, but was on the fence about pharmacy until I recently started working at a retail pharmacy that I'm reconsidering going for it. I'm currently a pharmacy clerk, but I intend to take the pharm tech test and do that within a few months.
My undergraduate GPA is exactly 3.4 and my major (biochem) GPA is 3.257. Advice on where to go from here if I'm considering pharmacy? Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well finishing up any pre-reqs and taking the PCAT would be the next steps so you can actually apply to schools. But why would do you want to become a tech?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just graduated from undergrad not long ago, but was on the fence about pharmacy until I recently started working at a retail pharmacy that I'm reconsidering going for it. I'm currently a pharmacy clerk, but I intend to take the pharm tech test and do that within a few months.
My undergraduate GPA is exactly 3.4 and my major (biochem) GPA is 3.257. Advice on where to go from here if I'm considering pharmacy? Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Do well on the PCAT and get some pharmacy experience and I think you have a good chance to get accepted.

Considering your major is Biochemistry, I would think you've completed all pre-pharmacy requirements. Along with pharmacy experience, make sure get volunteer experiences. I actually think you're going to be competitive enough to apply this year (as long as you get that volunteer and pharmacy experience). It depends on the deadline of the schools you want to apply to. When is it? When I was applying to Purdue, they told me I should do my best to get a volunteer experience. I got about 10 hours in prior to applying and I was fine. :D Anyway, some schools may take you in even without pharmacy experience. It's just hard to explain how you got into it in the first place when you haven't experienced it yet. Consider shadowing as well. :)

If you do plan to apply this year, see if the PCAT scores (if you're required to take it) will make it in time for the deadline. Most CA schools (not sure if all) don't need PCATs.

I see. Yeah, I'm currently working at a community retail pharmacy as a clerk and looking to get some technician experience soon. At the moment, I'm just learning what I can from the experience and it's been very helpful to learn what its like to think on your feet, interacting with the regular customers that come every month, as well as running your own business.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I'm in California, so I should probably look into their requirements as well. Is it better to have PCAT scores ready even if it isn't required? For a Californian school, if I were to get a year or more of experience in a pharmacy + my grades/prereqs met, what other experience should I consider other than the community setting I'm in?

And are out of state (out of CA) schools less competitive? Or does it vary depending on the program I'm applying to?

Yeah, I figure being a tech would help a lot with still keeping my mind fresh with science as well as understanding how bio/chem stuff works (and actually knowing what we're giving out to patients so I can be an additional safety net when we give out prescriptions).

Great - I appreciate the feedback. Any tips for interviews since you're already a Pharm student?

Great - I appreciate the feedback. Any tips for interviews since you're already a Pharm student?

Yeah, sounds good to me. Even without the pharmacy experience, you'll probably be fine.

I see. Yeah, I'm currently working at a community retail pharmacy as a clerk and looking to get some technician experience soon. At the moment, I'm just learning what I can from the experience and it's been very helpful to learn what its like to think on your feet, interacting with the regular customers that come every month, as well as running your own business.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I'm in California, so I should probably look into their requirements as well. Is it better to have PCAT scores ready even if it isn't required? For a Californian school, if I were to get a year or more of experience in a pharmacy + my grades/prereqs met, what other experience should I consider other than the community setting I'm in?

And are out of state (out of CA) schools less competitive? Or does it vary depending on the program I'm applying to?

Yeah, sounds good to me. Even without the pharmacy experience, you'll probably be fine.

Considering your major is Biochemistry, I would think you've completed all pre-pharmacy requirements. Along with pharmacy experience, make sure get volunteer experiences. I actually think you're going to be competitive enough to apply this year (as long as you get that volunteer and pharmacy experience). It depends on the deadline of the schools you want to apply to. When is it? When I was applying to Purdue, they told me I should do my best to get a volunteer experience. I got about 10 hours in prior to applying and I was fine. :D Anyway, some schools may take you in even without pharmacy experience. It's just hard to explain how you got into it in the first place when you haven't experienced it yet. Consider shadowing as well. :)

If you do plan to apply this year, see if the PCAT scores (if you're required to take it) will make it in time for the deadline. Most CA schools (not sure if all) don't need PCATs.

What are you doing? You have a BS in Biochemistry and you are working as a pharmacy clerk? You should be working at something like Johnson & Johnson, GSK, Pfizer, Merck, etc. And you can work the cash register on the weekend.

Research the schools in which you're interested. Some interviews are open-file and some are closed-file, and each of those has a unique plan of attack on your end. Open-file, they know all of your accomplishments and your faults, so questions like "why did this semester in 2010 go badly?" are fair game.

Closed-file, you direct the interview, essentially. Those two times you took Physics and withdrew? It doesn't come up unless you bring it up. You can steer the conversation and stick to the positives.

I heartily recommend the "Interview Feedback" feature on SDN to EVERYONE. No kidding. Previous questions, impressions, etc, are all there for your reading. Once you know what kind of interview you'll have (open/closed file, three-person panel/single person, group work involvement, etc), start practicing. Ask friends and family to act as a panel/interviewer and ask them to go through typical questions:

• Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
  • What in your background do you feel has uniquely prepared you for the challenges you will face in pharmacy school/ in health care/ as a pharmacist, etc?
  • What is your greatest weakness, and how have you overcome it?
  • You are working in a community setting, and a patient approaches you, angry, and shows you that she was given the wrong medication, but it's in a bottle with her name on it. What do you do?
etc.

More questions are available in Interview Feedback.

I personally try to always be involved in organizations. School, civic, church, whatever fits you best. Leadership can be heading a committee that gets something done. It boosts your CV and makes good use of your time.

Just my two cents. Good luck! :)

Awesome - I'll start doing that. That was very insightful advice - thanks!

Research the schools in which you're interested. Some interviews are open-file and some are closed-file, and each of those has a unique plan of attack on your end. Open-file, they know all of your accomplishments and your faults, so questions like "why did this semester in 2010 go badly?" are fair game.

Closed-file, you direct the interview, essentially. Those two times you took Physics and withdrew? It doesn't come up unless you bring it up. You can steer the conversation and stick to the positives.

I heartily recommend the "Interview Feedback" feature on SDN to EVERYONE. No kidding. Previous questions, impressions, etc, are all there for your reading. Once you know what kind of interview you'll have (open/closed file, three-person panel/single person, group work involvement, etc), start practicing. Ask friends and family to act as a panel/interviewer and ask them to go through typical questions:

• Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
  • What in your background do you feel has uniquely prepared you for the challenges you will face in pharmacy school/ in health care/ as a pharmacist, etc?
  • What is your greatest weakness, and how have you overcome it?
  • You are working in a community setting, and a patient approaches you, angry, and shows you that she was given the wrong medication, but it's in a bottle with her name on it. What do you do?
etc.

More questions are available in Interview Feedback.

I personally try to always be involved in organizations. School, civic, church, whatever fits you best. Leadership can be heading a committee that gets something done. It boosts your CV and makes good use of your time.

Just my two cents. Good luck! :)

1. hard to find a job buddy lol
2. its in an immigrant community and that's a population that i want to understand/interact with much more. (i get to use chinese about 95% of the time so it's good for me)
3. i have no work experience so i'm glad that i even got this job
4. its a privately owned pharmacy so i get to do a lot of hands on things - i.e. learning how to handle a business, build relationships with regular customers, seeing the ins and outs of all that comes with that
5. i get to spend time with family because work is relatively close to home. there was a pfizer where i went to college, but cost of living is way higher living away from home than living at home.
6. tons and tons of other reasons, but this is a good place for me right now. the job title doesn't do justice to how much this job has helped me post-grad lol

What are you doing? You have a BS in Biochemistry and you are working as a pharmacy clerk? You should be working at something like Johnson & Johnson, GSK, Pfizer, Merck, etc. And you can work the cash register on the weekend.

1. hard to find a job buddy lol
2. its in an immigrant community and that's a population that i want to understand/interact with much more. (i get to use chinese about 95% of the time so it's good for me)
3. i have no work experience so i'm glad that i even got this job
4. its a privately owned pharmacy so i get to do a lot of hands on things - i.e. learning how to handle a business, build relationships with regular customers, seeing the ins and outs of all that comes with that
5. i get to spend time with family because work is relatively close to home. there was a pfizer where i went to college, but cost of living is way higher living away from home than living at home.
6. tons and tons of other reasons, but this is a good place for me right now. the job title doesn't do justice to how much this job has helped me post-grad lol

Contact scientific temp agencies and they will just search for you. Kelly Scientific is a big national one. I was placed in a pharmaceutical company by them before. A lot of the people I work with have PharmD/MBA.