Next Step Exam Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treeclimbingmonkey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1608512586514.png

1608512670601.png

Hi I legit don't get this question, would it be possible for someone to help me understand why the answer is first order kinetics?
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

They want you to notice that rate = k [H+] because of two entries in the table: 1.32 = k[0.1] and 0.01 = k[0.001]. 1.32/0.01 = 132 and 0.1/0.001 = 100. Because 100 to the first power is kind of close to 132, it's a first order relationship. It's a leap of faith conclusion without knowing the impact of other variables to say the overall rate is first order, but it is close enough to first order with respect to H+ to conclude first order dependence on H+.

Honestly, that's a bad question for many reasons, but of the answer choices, B is the only one that can be supported (somewhat) by the table. It's the least worst answer. I wouldn't worry too much about this on the real deal. The questions on your actual MCAT will be better.

Reactions: 1 user
They want you to notice that rate = k [H+] because of two entries in the table: 1.32 = k[0.1] and 0.01 = k[0.001]. 1.32/0.01 = 132 and 0.1/0.001 = 100. Because 100 to the first power is kind of close to 132, it's a first order relationship. It's a leap of faith conclusion without knowing the impact of other variables to say the overall rate is first order, but it is close enough to first order with respect to H+ to conclude first order dependence on H+.

Honestly, that's a bad question for many reasons, but of the answer choices, B is the only one that can be supported (somewhat) by the table. It's the least worst answer. I wouldn't worry too much about this on the real deal. The questions on your actual MCAT will be better.
Thank you so much!!