next step test 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pediateix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
@NextStepTutor_1

this passagewas so hard

i still don't get this question

NS FL 2 Question #5; please explain. I got wrecked on this section cause my genetics knowledge is week like 7 days. • r/Mcat

can you explain further. how is the single monism still balanced and viable? (the second one_

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Pediateix,

Yes, this is definitely a hard passage! As always with hard passages, focus on what you can learn from them moving forward in terms of your process, both w/ regard to interpreting the passage itself and with approaching the associated questions.

The Reddit thread you linked to actually has some pretty solid explanations of what's going on, so I won't repeat all of them, but will try to focus more specifically on your question. Basically, the fact that #2 (the translocation) is viable is implied in the passage, because we're told that individuals with a translocated (q14;q21) chromosome are ROB carriers. It may be helpful to keep in mind that Figure 1 illustrates gametes, not embryos.

Hope this helps & best of luck!

can someone explainn if we have to know the classifications of the viruses like the seven classes
and can someone explain the significance of HIV and reverse transcriptase

and can someone explain the significance of HIV and reverse transcriptase

Reverse transcriptase is important because it basically goes against the central dogma of biology. It reverses it. Instead of DNA --> RNA --> protein, it's RNA --> DNA. The HIV virus has RNA that it injects into the host cell along with reverse transcriptase and integrase, two key enzymes as we shall see in a bit, which 1) reverse transcribes the RNA to DNA and 2) integrates the DNA into the host cell genome. So the host cell will now start producing a lot of RNA virus particles along with the rest of the viral machinery needed for propagation.

The virus is so hard to target because once it gets into the host cell's DNA, there aren't a lot of ways to get it back out without also destroying the host cell's genome. So people usually target the enzymes required for propagation, i.e. reverse transcriptase and integrase. Of the two, integrase inhibitors are, I believe, the modern standard for therapy, although a cocktail is used since the virus can develop resistance.

@Next Step Tutor
for test 5
section 1- could you further explain question 3, don't think i would have solved it like that
and for question 5 too of that section, ws that mean to be a trick. how come so many people missed it, idid too but it seems so easy