NextStep/Blueprint Test Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnai

Reaction score
I took the MCAT a month ago and scored a 508, and am looking to retake. I scored in the 45 percentile for Psyc/Soc, and I'm really looking to increase that score significantly. I just need a more structured assistance program, since I wasn't able to actually take any Psyc/Soc classes in college.

I've seen a lot of negative reviews for the NextStep (now Blueprint) Test Prep tutoring service, positive reviews for their content and prep books, and next to nothing on their actual courses. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on their course prep services? I would appreciate anything!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO the best P/S resource is the Kahn Academy videos here ----> MCAT | Test prep | Khan Academy
Watch all videos that cover the P/S topics, take notes, and do Anki. I scored a 131 on P/S by just doing that :)
I don't think you need to splurge on a prep course.
Thanks! I also have a potentially dumb question; how exactly does Anki work? I understand that there are existing decks, but you can also make your own? Do you typically use existing ones and modify them, or would you recommend starting from scratch?

Thanks! I also have a potentially dumb question; how exactly does Anki work? I understand that there are existing decks, but you can also make your own? Do you typically use existing ones and modify them, or would you recommend starting from scratch?
I used existing decks. Reddit has great decks if you search in r/MCAT. I recommend one made by user Premed95.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree that KA was very helpful for P/S. Their practice questions are pretty good. They're as good as any commercial materials.

If you're looking to take a course, I found TBR to be excellent. I had the guy who wrote the chem books as my actual teacher. A little background here, I self-studied after my sophomore year and did well in everything except CARS. After face-planting my app, I decided to take the MCAT again in March and reapply this cycle. I took a class, and it was way more helpful in all of the sections than I expected. If you can afford it, it might be exactly what you need to get in the right mindset for your exam.

I’m in the online BluePrint course now. So far I’m happy with it. I like how they cover the content well, and also MCAT specific test strategies.

The cost of the prep course is about the same as one university class. I figure the MCAT carries far more weight than any single college course, so it is worth it to spend the extra money in my opinion. (I signed up at a discount price; I believe they still have that going).

300 page document and Anki are essential for P/S. Cubene and Bouras (google them) are pretty decent, and Anki does a good job of forcing you to actually do the cards, lest you want to have to catch up to a gazillion reviews every day.