NextStep Reproduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5words

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what to make of this question?

Which of the following choices represents a valid combination of a menstrual cycle hormone and its effect in a
man?

A. LH stimulates Leydig cells to produce estrogen
B. FSH stimulates Sertoli cells to produce sperm
C. Estrogen stimulates the development of male secondary sex characteristics (e.g., body hair and voice deepening)
D. Prolactin leads to lactation in men

I initially chose D through POE, then after reading the question, it became obvious that the question pertained to "Menstrual Cycle Hormone".. However, i am not understanding why B is the answer? because Sertoli cells , aka Sustenacular cells dont produce Sperm , they only aid the process. I guess my question is , is the answer choice "badly" formulated? so should i ignore their answer choice and move on or am i missing something.

Here what i know about Sertoli cells, they Produce : inhilin, androgen binding proteins AND assist in spermatogenesis by protectign and nurturing the developing sperm which is directly derived or produced by Spermatogonia.

@Next Step Tutor @NextStepTutor_2 @NextStepTutor_3 @aldol16

Two credible source added, and none of them mention FSH role in sperm production:

https://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb135e/fsh-lh.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follicle-stimulating_hormone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Ovarian Follicular cells are like Juliet's Nurse in "Romeo and Juliet," their only job is to get the Ovum (Juliet) ready for marriage. They do so by bathing her in a Lake of Estrogen. In the female, FSH & LH both target the follicular cells. LH causes the sex-specific hormone to be secreted.

In the male, LH causes the Leydig cells to release their sex-specific hormone. Sertoli cells are the analog of the follicular cells. Because they still have to get the sperms "ready for the ball," they have to ensure that they grow up bathed in a lake of testosterone. The Androgen-binding protein they secrete is secreted into the lumen of the seminiferous tubule, where the spermatogonia divide, meiose, and mature into spermatozoa. The ABP provides a local source of the lipophilic molecule testosterone that would otherwise avoid the watery lumen, keeping its concentration high (a chemical capacitor or backup tank, if you will).

Hope this helps!

MedVIP

http://youtube.com/medvipvideos

The Ovarian Follicular cells are like Juliet's Nurse in "Romeo and Juliet," their only job is to get the Ovum (Juliet) ready for marriage. They do so by bathing her in a Lake of Estrogen. In the female, FSH & LH both target the follicular cells. LH causes the sex-specific hormone to be secreted.

In the male, LH causes the Leydig cells to release their sex-specific hormone. Sertoli cells are the analog of the follicular cells. Because they still have to get the sperms "ready for the ball," they have to ensure that they grow up bathed in a lake of testosterone. The Androgen-binding protein they secrete is secreted into the lumen of the seminiferous tubule, where the spermatogonia divide, meiose, and mature into spermatozoa. The ABP provides a local source of the lipophilic molecule testosterone that would otherwise avoid the watery lumen, keeping its concentration high (a chemical capacitor or backup tank, if you will).

Hope this helps!

MedVIP

http://youtube.com/medvipvideos
Like you said , FSH stimulate Sertoli cells to produce ABP and inhibin, not sperm!

You always choose the best possible answer. A would be wrong for sure, whereas by the way you describe B is only 30% wrong, because stimulation of Sertoli cells does lead to the production of sperm. In effect the language in kinda ambiguous too. it doesnt' really say if sertoli cells actually produce sperm cells, it can be read as "FSH does XXX to produce sperm." which would be true. So you have a choice that is kinda true/ or can be read as true vs choice A that's wrong. So there you go

Reactions: 1 user
You always choose the best possible answer. A would be wrong for sure, whereas by the way you describe B is only 30% wrong, because stimulation of Sertoli cells does lead to the production of sperm. In effect the language in kinda ambiguous too. it doesnt' really say if sertoli cells actually produce sperm cells, it can be read as "FSH does XXX to produce sperm." which would be true. So you have a choice that is kinda true/ or can be read as true vs choice A that's wrong. So there you go

That's a good approach to answering poorly worded questions like this one, where you can get hung up by knowing "too much" about a subject. A better version of choice B would have been "FSH stimulates Sertoli cells and spermatogenesis," or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user