nexus 7 or iPad mini?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My son took over my iPad 2. He is such a brat, if he ever sees us with it, he climbs and cries until we let him have it. Freak'n sad part is that he learn how to say "iPad" before baba and mama last year. :mad: Got an HP touch pad for $99 a while back but mother-in-law took it over to skype with her husband and 80 episode soap opera all that...dont ask (help! I'm a prisoner in my own home! Don't marry an Asian girl!)

Anywho, we enjoyed using the ipad2 but the nexus 7 is $130 cheaper. Got the galaxy 2 as my cellphone and like it fine, but cellphone app support is one thing and tablet support is another. The other thing is I am still trying to be clinically involved, since I can't get the budget to hire a clinical pharmacist. As such, a tablet is useful while I'm on the floor. So who's got both and any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
iPad mini fits perfectly in my lab coat, you can afford the price premium manager dude, go for the better UI.

Using the iPad 2 was cumbersome IMO when compared to this...it's more comfortable to use.

iPad mini fits perfectly in my lab coat, you can afford the price premium manager dude, go for the better UI.

Using the iPad 2 was cumbersome IMO when compared to this...it's more comfortable to use.

It's not about the money as the feeling of having wasted money. I make that much working 2 hrs PRN but its more like a question of paying $130 for a car maintenance. Its not the thought of whether you can afford it that matters as if you got your money's worth. If the difference was only $20, there's would be no question, but $130... **** that's more than I paid for the HP touchpad. I read the reviews on micromedex, apparently it runs slow on android. I use lexicomp from the college, but having a double check reference is nice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If it's about the UI, nexus 7 all the way.

I bought my Nexus 7 specifically for my internal medicine rotation (dont have a smartphone, hospital had wifi). Fits perfectly in whitecoat pocket, was easy to access uptodate, epocrates, word documents with pt notes, pdfs of guidelines, etc. Great battery life too, I would charge it about twice per week, and it was never low. If you got one of the 3G models, I'm not sure how that would impact the power consumption.

Definitely happy with my purchase.

i used iOS for 4 years then jumped to android...big mistake, i even rooted and flashed custom roms and did all the fancy developer shiet. Then I realized I just didn't have time for that and needed things to just work without me doing anything...so, back to iOS i went.

Well, swung by the mall today and tried out both, but ended up bringing home the 32 gig nexus 7. Playing with it right now, likes it so far, but will need more time for a final verdict.

Well, swung by the mall today and tried out both, but ended up bringing home the 32 gig nexus 7. Playing with it right now, likes it so far, but will need more time for a final verdict.

I would like to know how it goes. I have Ipad2 but need something smaller for coat/rotations.

Was debating between the two same devices.

I would like to know how it goes. I have Ipad2 but need something smaller for coat/rotations.

Was debating between the two same devices.

After a day's use, I can confirm that the free Micromedex runs slow on the Nexus 7. Lexi Comp runs smooth and is waaaay better, but that's not free so hopefully you got access from your school. Web based tools like globalrph works like it should. My can also get my work outlook e-mail on it now that I got the exchange setting.

What is a little annoying is that, unlike the larger iPad2, some websites defaults to the "mobile version" and you have to manually change it to normal. Being a 7 incher, the texts are smaller, not that much smaller but noticable vs the ipad2, takes some getting use to.

Obviously some trade off has to be made for size. But overall it's a good compromise. It's very light, and easily fit into a lab coat pocket, and even my pants pocket.

i used iOS for 4 years then jumped to android...big mistake, i even rooted and flashed custom roms and did all the fancy developer shiet. Then I realized I just didn't have time for that and needed things to just work without me doing anything...so, back to iOS i went.

Same exact situation here. I actually really liked the android OS but realized I'm not really all about customization and that I prefer a more streamlined OS... iOS.

If anyone is looking into getting the iPad mini i suggest you wait as there is a lot of buzz that apple will be releasing a new version with retina display and the A6X chip in a few months.

Same exact situation here. I actually really liked the android OS but realized I'm not really all about customization and that I prefer a more streamlined OS... iOS.

If anyone is looking into getting the iPad mini i suggest you wait as there is a lot of buzz that apple will be releasing a new version with retina display and the A6X chip in a few months.

I find the non retina display is just fine given the dimensions of the iPad mini...plus I'd be concerned about battery life powering all those pixels.

I find the non retina display is just fine given the dimensions of the iPad mini...plus I'd be concerned about battery life powering all those pixels.

eh, I have to disagree. I found the current version of the mini unusable after using the retina display on the iphone for a couple years. going to patiently wait it out for the next rendition. apparently there is only a 1 hour difference (7 vs 8 hr) between the ipad 2 and 3, so not a deal breaker for me.

eh, I have to disagree. I found the current version of the mini unusable after using the retina display on the iphone for a couple years. going to patiently wait it out for the next rendition. apparently there is only a 1 hour difference (7 vs 8 hr) between the ipad 2 and 3, so not a deal breaker for me.

Give me a break.

I have an iPad mini. To call the screen "unusable" is laughable.

I personally chose the iPad over the Nexus because when I was buying it I couldn't find any stores carring the Nexus to play with it and check it out before purchase; of course there was an Apple Store nearby so I checked out the mini and I liked it a lot. I recommend it.

Really? I came from the retina on the 4 also...maybe I'm just going blind.

How's the weight difference for you between the ipad and nexus 7? i found it slightly significant given the sizes of the two.

First reviews coming back on surface pro-- 5 stars!

I love mine. It learned my cursive handwriting :) I love the math to texttoo.

Loads hella fast, super fast everything, and I can run a bunch of **** all at once. I ran my first stats analysis on it. Bwahaha. It rox my sox.

:D