NG Prior Service and USUHS question regarding pay and retirement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68w65d

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding the answers to thes questions. Perhaps the collective wisdom here can help.

1) If I have 5 years prior service with the NG when I start USUHS, would I be paid as an O1 with 5 years TIS credited? Or would it be an O1 with 0 years TIS? And upon graduation, would I be paid as an O3 with 9 years TIS or with 4 years TIS?

2) In order to get the 4 years at USUHS credited as TIS for retirement pay calculation, you have to have served 20 years. If I was to serve for 16 active years after graduating USUHS , which would put me at 25 total TIS (5 years NG + 4 years active USUHS + 16 years active), would I be able to retire from active duty with those 4 years credited on the back end?

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a hard time finding the answers to thes questions. Perhaps the collective wisdom here can help.

1) If I have 5 years prior service with the NG when I start USUHS, would I be paid as an O1 with 5 years TIS credited? Or would it be an O1 with 0 years TIS? And upon graduation, would I be paid as an O3 with 9 years TIS or with 4 years TIS?

2) In order to get the 4 years at USUHS credited as TIS for retirement pay calculation, you have to have served 20 years. If I was to serve for 16 active years after graduating USUHS , which would put me at 25 total TIS (5 years NG + 4 years active USUHS + 16 years active), would I be able to retire from active duty with those 4 years credited on the back end?
For number 1, is your prior service as an officer or enlisted?

For number 1, I’m not sure about guard time. But your time at USUHS does not count toward TIS. If your prior service was enlisted and/or a warrant officer, and you were active duty, you’d get O-1E pay for however much time you have in (so over 4). When you graduate, you’d have O-3E pay over 4. If your service was as an officer, you’d get save pay.

For number 2, the time at USUHS doesn’t count except at the back end. So I had 7 years when I started at USUHS. When I graduate, I’ll have been in for 11 years, but I will only have 7 years still toward my 20. That 4 years I spent at USUHS will only be included when I get to 20 (and so my retirement would be calculated for 24 years).

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Apparently E is based on points too...

2) It depends if your time in the NG was active. Since retirement is based off of a point system, it doesn't usually correlate with guard or reserve TIS. You should be getting an annual printout that tells you how many points you have accumulated. DFAS will subtract the number of points from your matriculation date to give you a new BASD, and 24 years from that will be when you can retire.

Guard time complicates everything though, so expect it to take a while to get the paperwork straightened out for pay. It'll probably be the same way when it comes time to retire, too.

Last edited:
You won’t get 01E status unless you served 4 or more years of active duty time before starting USUHS. Reserve time doesn’t count and pretty sure guard time is same way. So you won’t get BAH bump but your base pay will be O1 over 5 while at USUHS as this is based on PEBD. Upon graduation you will be 03 over 5 and continue to accrue from there.

Retirement eligibility date will get adjusted early based on number of active duty days your guard time equates to. Let’s assume about 6 months. This is assuming it is similar to reserve time calculations but I honestly haven’t looked in to NG specifically.

In order to retire plan to do 20 years from USUHS graduation date (minus the 6 months your guard years counts for) but then get credit for 24.5 total years for %base pay calculation.

Clear as mud?

Reactions: 1 user