NHSC 2023 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe you all already see something that looks like this? This is certainly not what I could see last Friday.
This looks like the screen I got after I initially submitted my confirmation of interest. Wonder why yours is different.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This looks like the screen I got after I initially submitted my confirmation of interest. Wonder why yours is different.

This is also what mine looked like after submitting**. Mine is unchanged since checking this morning

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay kind of freaking out now.
My page updated.
"Your offer to accept or deny participation in the NHSC scholarship program has expired. Your application will be removed from consideration."
I accepted the offer though. Should I call?

Okay kind of freaking out now.
My page updated.
"Your offer to accept or deny participation in the NHSC scholarship program has expired. Your application will be removed from consideration."
I accepted the offer though. Should I call?
Interesting. Mine still shows the same status as I previously posted. I would call. Better safe than sorry...

Interesting. Mine still shows the same status as I previously posted. I would call. Better safe than sorry...
I called they didn't give me an answer, but said if I was denied it would have said something along the lines of "offer not provided". Was also told by the lady that there have been a lot of status glitches lately. She pushed my question up and I should hear back in the next couple of days. Hoping for the best, but feeling very down.

I called they didn't give me an answer, but said if I was denied it would have said something along the lines of "offer not provided". Was also told by the lady that there have been a lot of status glitches lately. She pushed my question up and I should hear back in the next couple of days. Hoping for the best, but feeling very down.
Sounds like a status glitch to me, anyhow. I bet you'll be okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a status glitch to me, anyhow. I bet you'll be okay.
Thanks! I hope that's the case. Will update when I hear back.

Edit - Heard back from NHSC, status is still awaiting final review. What my page is showing is an error. The accurate status shows in that yellow or green bar under "Application Status". :)

Last edited:
Interesting how we haven't heard of the other waves like in years past. I wonder if ~10% of the awards given are still for dental. I would have expected more of us to be chatting about this.

Interesting how we haven't heard of the other waves like in years past. I wonder if ~10% of the awards given are still for dental. I would have expected more of us to be chatting about this.
They did mention that this year will be more competitive. Also, I'm the only person in my class that applied so maybe there is just lower volume of applicants. But, I agree that it is odd that we are the only ones chatting on this forum about it.

They did mention that this year will be more competitive. Also, I'm the only person in my class that applied so maybe there is just lower volume of applicants. But, I agree that it is odd that we are the only ones chatting on this forum about it.
I know I'm one of five, if not more who haven't told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're gonna make us wait until the 30th aren't they?

• Sad
For those of you that have been informed of being a finalist/ receiving the scholarship, are y’all med, dental, or PA students?

Also, is this your first time applying? What GPA did you apply with? Disadvantaged background or from a rural area?

For those of you that have been informed of being a finalist/ receiving the scholarship, are y’all med, dental, or PA students?

Also, is this your first time applying? What GPA did you apply with? Disadvantaged background or from a rural area?

1st year dental student, first time applying. 3.9 GPA and disadvantaged background/rural area. Applied for 4 yrs

EDIT: I was only informed of being a finalist and confirmed my interest. They state multiple times that it is not a guarantee of the award and that we’ll know no later than Sep 30th what final decisions are.

1st year dental student, first time applying, 3.78 GPA for my undergraduate and 3.92 for my graduate GPA, disadvantaged background and rural area. Applied for 4 years. I also have been informed I'm a finalist but that's as far as we've gone.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has heard back yet. I think they are waiting to see what happens to funding for the program. The Senate Committee on Health Education Labor and Pensions is having a session on the 21st about the funding bill, so maybe we'll know something after that get passed or shot down in the Senate. That's just my guess though, just shooting in the dark at this point.

Is it a requirement to be from a disadvantaged background to receive this scholarship? What is even considered a disadvantaged background? I am a first-generation college graduate; I was awarded a scholarship in undergrad that's why I did not use federal aid, and I've interned at an FQHC dental office that was in a disadvantaged area near my undergrad school. I wouldn't consider myself as someone that came from a disadvantaged background; however, I did not believe that was important on receiving the scholarship since its listed as "third priority." Also, I know of 3 people in my current dental class that were awarded the scholarship last year. This year, not a single student in my class that has applied has heard back. Is it really possible that we will all be rejected? I thought they said they were giving out an additional 150 scholarships this year?

I received an email that I was a finalist back in August. But have not heard anything back from them. Hopefully next week we can get our countersignarures. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

I received an email that I was a finalist back in August. But have not heard anything back from them. Hopefully next week we can get our countersignarures. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.
i am in the same boat!

Is it a requirement to be from a disadvantaged background to receive this scholarship? What is even considered a disadvantaged background? I am a first-generation college graduate; I was awarded a scholarship in undergrad that's why I did not use federal aid, and I've interned at an FQHC dental office that was in a disadvantaged area near my undergrad school. I wouldn't consider myself as someone that came from a disadvantaged background; however, I did not believe that was important on receiving the scholarship since its listed as "third priority." Also, I know of 3 people in my current dental class that were awarded the scholarship last year. This year, not a single student in my class that has applied has heard back. Is it really possible that we will all be rejected? I thought they said they were giving out an additional 150 scholarships this year?
I had the second and third priority, and I am already a year into dental school. I never received a finalist notification. I really can’t understand how they are choosing this year.

I'm hoping we can get that countersignature by tomorrow! 🤞

Nothing for me yet, but it's early and my last name is pretty far down the alphabet (which, in 2020, seemed like the direction they were doing signings).

Also nothing for me yet (my name is near the top of the alphabet). My portal did update to the “No Response Offered” glitch but my status remains the same (“Accepted Award Under Final Review”)

Edit: Just refreshed a second ago after typing this and it went back to the green Success! page that it was before. Maybe these glitches indicate they’re about to update statuses and countersignatures?

Website is undergoing maintenance between 8PM-10AM 9/20-21- maybe we’ll know by tomorrow morning?

Well looks like the government is projected to shut down, so that might explain the slowness of everything this year and cycle

I know we have until the 30th, but man I'm starting to feel discouraged.

So I was told the other day that they simply do not have funds. They are prioritizing 4 years applicants due to this.

So I was told the other day that they simply do not have funds. They are prioritizing 4 years applicants due to this.
Worth noting that in the Application Guidance for this year there is a note that says, "The number of years of scholarship support requested is not taken into consideration when determining which applicants will receive a scholarship award."

I'm starting to get a little nervous 😓 because by this time last year a lot of the finalists had their signatures.

I'm starting to get a little nervous 😓 because by this time last year a lot of the finalists had their signatures.
Why be nervous when no one has gotten a signature yet? It's not like everyone else has one at this point. We're all waiting. I feel somewhat heartened by that.

Reactions: 2 users
if the government is shutting down and they have not voted on whether or not they are going to refund NHSC, how can any of us get the scholarship?

if the government is shutting down and they have not voted on whether or not they are going to refund NHSC, how can any of us get the scholarship?
I could be wrong but I believe that funding has already been allocated for 2023. The shutdown would affect funding for future years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ummm. My application portal now says "All awards will be made by August 19, 2024." 💀💀

Worth noting that in the Application Guidance for this year there is a note that says, "The number of years of scholarship support requested is not taken into consideration when determining which applicants will receive a scholarship award."
well from what the guidance says to what they actually do when giving awards there is a big gap.