NHSC 2023 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anuoluwapo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't see a thread for the nhsc application cycle so i thought to create one so we can ask questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i had a couple of questions:
- is it okay to e-fill the forms or is it best to print and hand fill?
- also, they ask for your last SSN on the good standing document, did you guys fill that yourself or did your school official fill that out?

Does everyone else only have 1 essay question in their documents page? Is the word limit still 500 words?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, it is one essay question and 500-word limit

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone mind telling me what the essay prompt officially is? I haven't requested my letters of recommendation yet so I can't advance to the page where I type the essay. TYIA!

Does anyone mind telling me what the essay prompt officially is? I haven't requested my letters of recommendation yet so I can't advance to the page where I type the essay. TYIA!
The mission of the National Health Service Corps is to build healthy communities by supporting qualified health care providers dedicated to working in areas of the United States with limited access to care. With this mission, we know that patients often need health care providers to better understand them as a whole person. This is particularly important among underserved populations receiving care. • Please describe an experience in which you have contributed to the well-being of an underserved community and the impact/result of your contribution.

Are you all submitting any "additional" documents? If so, what are they? I was thinking of attaching a resume of sorts.

how do we upload both transcripts from previous program and current program? the website would only take one, did you put it under supporting documents?

Are you all submitting any "additional" documents? If so, what are they? I was thinking of attaching a resume of sorts.
I just put my financial aid package from undergrad, idk about putting a resume. I guess it's a good idea but they took it off for a reason? I dunno.

For total cost attendance did you get a screenshot from school website or official document from Financial aid ?

Did they ever send out a recording of that breakdown they did? I never saw it, but if not, do you all remember if they said that we could upload last years tuition and fee schedule if this years isn't posted yet?

For the National Health Service Corps Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing Form, it says it has to be signed by a school official. Who is supposed to sign this form?

For the National Health Service Corps Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing Form, it says it has to be signed by a school official. Who is supposed to sign this form?
your dental school, someone in academic affairs

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys think it'll be beneficial to double space the essay question?

do they send application reminder emails to everyone even those who submitted already? email reqyesting to submit application.

Hello, I currently applied to the NHSC Scholarship program with one school but received admission to another school and might want to switch. On the 2023 NHSC Scholarship program guide it mentions that if you have been awarded the scholarship, it mentions to immediately contact the NHSC if you are attending a different school program than the one you applied with. I am wondering if anyone has been awarded the NHSC scholarship and changed school programs after being awarded. What was your experience with that? Were you able to change programs and still keep your NHSC award? If the school that you switch to was more expensive than the one you applied with, did the NHSC still cover all the tuition or did you take out additional loans to cover the difference?

Thank you!

based off last year's timeline, looks like first round of credit checks start rolling out around june 20. so if you get a hard inquiry kindly update the thread so everyone knows. you can also include how you knew you had a credit check (experian, credit karma, bank etc) thank you and best of luck

Reactions: 5 users
any update on credit checks for anyone? nothing yet on my end

I got a credit check from the department of education on June 16th. im not sure if this is NHSC however 🤔

the credit check needed for NHSC will be from HRSA, that's what they said in the previous posts.

someone also posted this timeline (years before 2021). not sure if it will be similar to ours this year or not!

1688480212287.png

last year was different though, some applicants got credit checks in june, others in july.

Last edited:
the wait is killing me lol. hopefully we hear back soon

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if things will run on a later TL this year. Aug 6th is not that far away….

i really hope not lol. I keep checking my credit like a crazy person

Me too. If it makes you feel better i haven’t gotten a check yet from then lol

I wonder if they have done credit checks already but none of us are gonna get chosen lol

Does anyone know how many NHSC scholarship are being given out each year for dental?
i believe so. i feel like if they weren't given out one year they would say so- idk though

Hopefully we hear something this week.

It seems to be the same way on the MD thread, no credit checks so far

Reactions: 5 users
Would anyone be willing to call them and ask around when they might send the credit checks out? Or would this be annoying lol

Would anyone be willing to call them and ask around when they might send the credit checks out? Or would this be annoying lol
idk if they're gonna have any information because the last time I called them, they weren't super helpful but it wouldn't hurt to call them i guess

This is posted on their website:

• Please excuse the inconvenience, but the site will be down for scheduled maintenance from 6:00 PM to approximately 8:00 PM ET on Wednesday, July 26, 2023. For more information or questions please contact the HRSA Call Center at 1-800-221-9393.

Anyone else not able to log into their account? EDIT: Never mind, I was just locked out of my account lol

i don't know how true but i saw on social media that people are tryna fundraise/petition because they are not sure if they can still fund students after september 1st. maybe that's why we are still waiting to hear back.

• Wow
i don't know how true but i saw on social media that people are tryna fundraise/petition because they are not sure if they can still fund students after september 1st. maybe that's why we are still waiting to hear back.

What does this mean that they’re not sure if they can still fund students? Like how?

What does this mean that they’re not sure if they can still fund students? Like how?
i don't know tbh but maybe there is a funding issue? like I said idk how true but I had seen a link asking for funding to support the scholarship

i don't know tbh but maybe there is a funding issue? like I said idk how true but I had seen a link asking for funding to support the scholarship
could you send the link / where you saw it?

Any updates on credit checks?

• Dislike
Someone on the MD page indicated that letters of intention emails were sent out already to the first round of finalists.

*Edit: maybe there still is a chance.

Someone on the MD page indicated that letters of intention emails were sent out already to the first round of finalists.

*Edit: maybe there still is a chance.

it looks like it was sent out for the loan repayment and still nothing on the scholarship end. thank you for sharing that, it helps knowing its a lot of us waiting to hear back. Like you said, there is still hope. we shall wait and see. hopefully we have some good news.

it looks like it was sent out for the loan repayment and still nothing on the scholarship end. thank you for sharing that, it helps knowing its a lot of us waiting to hear back. Like you said, there is still hope. we shall wait and see. hopefully we have some good news.
I'm in the same boat. I've asked around at my dental school and nobody has received any notification yet.