NHSC APPLICATION 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apply next year but how does the economically disadvantage situation work out? My family is fine now but income was very low when I was growing up, we were on food stamps too. Does only college economic situation matter or ?
You don't necessarily have to be economically disadvantaged. The document also assesses background disadvantages. If you're high school had lower SAT/ACT scores than the state average, higher percentages of students qualifying for free and reduced lunch, etc. I just took the chance and contacted my financial aid office to see if I qualified for anything and turns out my high school fit the bill. I know you can't see the files since you're not applying, so here's the disadvantaged doc so you can figure it out for next year.

Attachments

• nhsc-sp-verification-of-disadvantaged-background.pdf
    291.4 KB · Views: 75
Members don't see this ad :)
2nd time applying. I prayed super hard before I submitted and now it's time to wait it out. *holds hands and sways in the breeze*

Reactions: 2 users
I'm too lazy to search this. Is there an interview process to this bs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at the previous year's thread, there was a link that lets you check the status of your application. Does said link exist now? I can't find it... Also, did you guys ever get an email saying that you submitted your application? I only got a reminder to submit a few days before the due date...

Looking at the previous year's thread, there was a link that lets you check the status of your application. Does said link exist now? I can't find it... Also, did you guys ever get an email saying that you submitted your application? I only got a reminder to submit a few days before the due date...

Same here :)

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, if you scroll all the way down you will see a gray menu... you will that under scholarships it has a link that says scholarship process.. if you click on it youll be directed to another page. Scroll down to the subsection where it says Prepare your Application, and there should be a highlighted link that says "Create an Account".. If you click on it, it directs you to the login page. Phew.

I never got an email either :( just the reminder to submit as well.

Yes, if you scroll all the way down you will see a gray menu... you will that under scholarships it has a link that says scholarship process.. if you click on it youll be directed to another page. Scroll down to the subsection where it says Prepare your Application, and there should be a highlighted link that says "Create an Account".. If you click on it, it directs you to the login page. Phew.

I never got an email either :( just the reminder to submit as well.
Alright awesome, I'll check it out now. Good luck hopeful NHSC dentists!

Alright awesome, I'll check it out now. Good luck hopeful NHSC dentists!

Good luck to you too! I am sooo anxious! As much as I want this summer to go slow I also just want July/August to come so we know!

Good luck to you too! I am sooo anxious! As much as I want this summer to go slow I also just want July/August to come so we know!
Yes, I couldn't agree more!
Bump-- for a new month!

For those of you to receive the scholarship in the past, how much is GPA a factor? And do you think it's like military scholarships where it is easier to be awarded a 3 year scholarship compared to 2 year...for those people who are already in med/dental school?

So when do they let us know? Thanks

The latest they will notify us is September 30th. I called last week and the lady said they notify people in batches but she didn't give a date when they'll begin notifying us!

Do they send out an email letting us know that all of our documents were complete? I have this irrational fear that some of my documents won't be considered complete because of something stupid and minor lol

Do they send out an email letting us know that all of our documents were complete? I have this irrational fear that some of my documents won't be considered complete because of something stupid and minor lol
Yeah, before you submit (and after you submit) you should see a page that says "all areas complete" or something similar. Why would your documents be considered incomplete?

Yeah, before you submit (and after you submit) you should see a page that says "all areas complete" or something similar. Why would your documents be considered incomplete?

Well by all of my documents it says "Received" but idk because in the application guide they kept stressing how if you're missing something or if a form is not filled completely out, they won't even tell you. They'll just not look at it.

Also, do they let us know by email or what, if we get the scholarship

Also, do they let us know by email or what, if we get the scholarship
You'll be notified if you're a finalist, but that's a while from now. In past years, the NHSC runs your credit sometime in July. We still got looooooots of waiting to do.

You'll be notified if you're a finalist, but that's a while from now. In past years, the NHSC runs your credit sometime in July. We still got looooooots of waiting to do.

Via email or what?

And why do they run your credit? Do you need great credit or something?

And why do they run your credit? Do you need great credit or something?
Yes via email. My understanding is that they want to make sure you haven't defaulted on a student loan, or have creditors after you.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they run a credit score if you are one of the finalists or is that just part of every applicants process??

Does anyone know if they run a credit score if you are one of the finalists or is that just part of every applicants process??
I think they run a credit score to determine if you are a finalist... Or at least that is what makes sense to me. Why run a credit check on someone who's not fit for the program?

From past threads it seems like only finalists get their credit checked.

I think they run a credit score to determine if you are a finalist... Or at least that is what makes sense to me. Why run a credit check on someone who's not fit for the program?

From past threads it seems like only finalists get their credit checked.

Oh okk. I got my credit ran by Department of Health and Human Services on June 3rd, so I was wondering if maybe anyone else got their credit ran or if it meant anything. Thank you for your feedback!

I have a credit monitoring thing that tells me when someone runs my credit. You can check for inquiries on creditkarma.com or pull your free annual credit report from the three credit company's

Hahaha you should be a spokesperson for these sites

In the past a credit check meant a good thing. This is quite early, but that's certainly not a complaint!

I don't think my credit has been checked, but I'm an MD applicant. I wonder if that matters.

I don't think my credit has been checked, but I'm an MD applicant. I wonder if that matters.

I'm sure they check everyone's credit who would potentially receive the scholarship regardless of program. As a few people said before, they want to make sure you haven't defaulted on any federal loans.

Last edited:
I'm sure they check everyone's credit who would potentially receive the scholarship regardless of program. As a few people said before, they want to make sure you haven't defaulted on any loans.

Yea I know they'll check every finalist's credit, but I meant maybe MD's get their credit checked later and dentists are first.

I am not an MD nor a Dentist, I am a therapist. So I don't think it has anything to do with your discipline. I read on a previous thread that everyone who gets an offer is done before August 17, 2014 cause that is the right before the end of DHHS fiscal year.