NHSC APPLICATION 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I havent had one yet

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks. No signs of inquiries here either.

MD applicant. Submitted 05/15, just hours before application was due.

I haven't seen this question yet, what if you haven't established credit yet? I won't have a credit report right? Tried and failed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Same here DMD applicant. Submitted app about a week before the 15th of May but then went back and made a few changes and resubmitted on the 15th.

I haven't seen this question yet, what if you haven't established credit yet? I won't have a credit report right? Tried and failed.

I had a similar question slightly earlier (I think its comment #125 or so) as I too had the same issue...

@Futuredentist18 had some good insight:
You don't need to have any credit history you just don't want any delinquent federal debt. If you read that PDF regarding the scholarship you'll see the info there. Also, you can use Credit Karma to view your credit info, or you can go to a free credit report website and pull your credit there. :)

I tried using Credit Karma and it couldn't give me a report as it said I had a "Thin File." So I ended up using annualcreditreport.com and was able to see past inquiries from the TransUnion agency (I couldn't pull up an Experian or Equifax report.) Nonetheless, I did see an inquiry on the report provided from TransUnion. (Note: they only offer one free one per year, so if you check it once and there aren't any inquiries you can't check it again.. at least not for free)

In essence you don't have a credit score/report if you don't have established credit but you may still be able to see if you had any inquiries done. From reading some stuff from Google, it seems like the report generated for anyone who does a credit check will just provide them with the inquiries that have been done on your account.
Sorry for the extensive reply guys :( hope everyone had a great 4th! Hopefully they will run some more checks this upcoming week.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried both Credit Karma and all 3 agencies at annualcreditreport.com and nothing came up with my information. My permanent address has been the same for at least 8 years, I haven't changed my name, gotten married, whatever, nothing that should have changed any of my identity information... D: Should I be worried then?

I tried both Credit Karma and all 3 agencies at annualcreditreport.com and nothing came up with my information. My permanent address has been the same for at least 8 years, I haven't changed my name, gotten married, whatever, nothing that should have changed any of my identity information... D: Should I be worried then?

I don't think you should be worried. It could mean that you haven't had any inquiries.
I really think they're going to run more this week. I would be shocked if they didn't.

Ditto. I submitted like 1 hour before the deadline I believe. I hope they run the reports this week. I've been checking credit karma like crazy.

I thought I'd share this for those who may have similar situations. If you have absolutely no credit history and don't come up in the databases of any of the agencies, it shouldn't hurt your application. They are mainly looking for negative history. This was what I was told when I called the NHSC helpline. You just get to remain in the dark about whether or not they tried to check :D

Ditto. I submitted like 1 hour before the deadline I believe. I hope they run the reports this week. I've been checking credit karma like crazy.

Same here! I don't know why, but I have obsessed over my NHSC application far more than those for grad school.

Reactions: 2 users
I got my credit checked(Credit Karma) on 6/23 as well by the Dept. of Health.:xf:

Have any med students had their credit checked? I filed about a week after the application opened and I think I meet their priorities pretty well. No credit check on CreditKarma... Congrats to all the Dental students, but I'm interested if it's divided by type of application... Thanks for your feedback.

I think credit karma only updates a week after your last update, so if you're checking credit karma every day you're wasting your time hahaha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any med students had their credit checked? I filed about a week after the application opened and I think I meet their priorities pretty well. No credit check on CreditKarma... Congrats to all the Dental students, but I'm interested if it's divided by type of application... Thanks for your feedback.

I'm a MD/DO applicant and still no word. Another MD/DO applicant, however, did report getting their credit checked on 06/23.

I'm an MD re-applicant. No credit check last year. This year I had my credit checked on 6/23, as did the other MD/DO applicant referred to above :) Good luck, everyone!

I think credit karma only updates a week after your last update, so if you're checking credit karma every day you're wasting your time hahaha

oh haha. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Hmmm I wonder if this means that if we didn't have our credit checked on 6/23 then it's over :(

I looked at last year's thread and finalist emails went out on July 23rd. However, last year the initial round of credit checks were done later than they were this year. Hopefully that is a sign we will find out some news real soon!

I looked at last year's thread and finalist emails went out on July 23rd. However, last year the initial round of credit checks were done later than they were this year. Hopefully that is a sign we will find out some news real soon!

How many rounds of credit checks were there? When I called them, they said everyone gets their credit check, seems more and more like a lie as the days pass lol

I'm honestly not sure about how many rounds, but checking someone's credit isn't cheap which makes me think that they don't check every applicant. Who knows though, it's all up in the air which is real frustrating.

Reactions: 2 users

I also have been looking at the previous threads... It seems like last year there was a major check on July 3rd followed by two other checks on the 11th and 15th (at least those were the ones that were mentioned). Notices went out 20 days after the first round of credit checks... If that trend remains true for this year, perhaps we could find out within the same time frame, which could mean we could find out as early as next week?! :O

Also July 3rd last year was a Wednesday and the 23rd was a Tuesday. Not sure if that really means anything lol. :p

All this waiting is making overthink life haha!

:: taps foot::

I'm so anxious!! :):):|:| :( :(

I called again yesterday and unlike the lady I spoke to a week or two ago, the guy I talked to yesterday said, "We don't know if they run everyone's credit or not". I have a feeling they don't, especially if they haven't in the past. Still no credit check for me :thumbdown:

I called again yesterday and unlike the lady I spoke to a week or two ago, the guy I talked to yesterday said, "We don't know if they run everyone's credit or not". I have a feeling they don't, especially if they haven't in the past. Still no credit check for me :thumbdown:
I feel the same and still no check for me!

Anyone submit 5/15 and get their credit checked?

I'm pretty sure thats when I submitted... but it may have been the day before that. I remember I edited and resubmitted when I got an email saying I hadn't submitted yet (which was a glitch) and i got mine checked on 6/23.

I did as well. I submitted twice (due to a typo in my essay) on 5/15 and got my credit checked on 6/23 as well.

Last edited:
Aren't you the only one that got checked thus far?

Nope there are a few who have gotten credit check (view page three of the thread for more notices). Now it's jut waiting to see what happens next because we don't know anything until formal notices have gone out. Hopefully mid-july (aka next week) we will hear something! :)

I submitted on the 15th and had my credit checked june 23 as well

Credit karma

CreditKarma only tells you if there's an inquiry but not WHO did it. Trust me, I've looked everywhere.

As for annualcreditreport.com, I only get 3 free ones...so if everyone keeps checking their inquiries every 3, by the 3rd day, you'd have to start paying since only the first 3 are free.

I called again and they said again that everyone should get their credit checked when they get to your application. Also if you call in and ask the status of your application and if it is still under review hey either havent got to your application yet, or are just now reviewing it. The status would be no offer given if otherwise. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
I called again and they said again that everyone should get their credit checked when they get to your application. Also if you call in and ask the status of your application and if it is still under review hey either havent got to your application yet, or are just now reviewing it. The status would be no offer given if otherwise. Hope this helps!

So how come some of us who applied on the 15th got credit checked but others didn't?

I thought all statuses still say Under Review. Has anyone's app status changed?

I have no idea. Im just repeating what they told me

I had my credit checked and it still says under review. Also, I don't think any of the applications are looked at until after the deadline. I'm pretty sure I found that information somewhere on the website or guide. (But don't quote me on that!) That's probably why we had the option to edit it up until the due date. So it shouldn't matter what day you submitted. It is probably alphabetical or something.

I REALLY hope you're right. My credit hasn't been checked and my application is still Under Review.

(MD/DO Applicant; Submitted 05/15)

By the way…I wonder if Application ID might have anything to do with it?

I had my credit checked and it still says under review. Also, I don't think any of the applications are looked at until after the deadline. I'm pretty sure I found that information somewhere on the website or guide. (But don't quote me on that!) That's probably why we had the option to edit it up until the due date. So it shouldn't matter what day you submitted. It is probably alphabetical or something.

To those who got credit checked, what is the first letter of your last name?

MD applicant. Submitted 5/15. My status is under review. No credit check, and my last name starts with V.

I hope they start notifying finalists next week, but if you haven't had your credit checked it's unlikely you're a finalist right?

To those who got credit checked, what is the first letter of your last name?

Submitted a week before deadline. last name starts with L! I checked today and status is still under review and credit was checked 6/23

I'm still optimistic that there will be another batch of checks'

Submitted a week before deadline. last name starts with L! I checked today and status is still under review and credit was checked 6/23

I'm still optimistic that there will be another batch of checks'

And what website or agency did you use to check up on that credit inquiry?