NHSC Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to the nursing forum... someone called and was told that current finalists should here official word "any day now"

They also reconfirmed that if you see the second signature from the "OFAM Approver, HRSA" then you have received the scholarship and everything is being processed right now.

Lets hope its by the end of the month!

(post updates :thumbup:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if Loupes are included in the "Reasonable Costs" for dental students? And if yes, is there a cap on how much they will pay? We just had some reps come and they are pretty expensive...

I would say no. I have quite a few friends in a military scholarship and they all have a lot of problems getting them covered. The only way to get them covered is for them to be "Required" for a class - kind of like class books. A lot of schools do not want to label them "Required" because they don't want all students to feel obligated to buy them. Also, there is some sort of rule (at least here at Minnesota), that if a book is required and you don't actually buy it, it is considered breaking some sort of rule (sorry I'm not sure on the specifics). I just remember the lengthy response from the administrators to make a lot of sense as to why they don't want them to be "Required".

Honestly, they really don't cost that much for how much they will change your life. They're worth every penny if you get a good fitting pair. With that said, I'm sure you can save up from the monthly stipends they're already going to give you to get a really nice pair. And remember, do NOT buy them on your own - make sure you school does a Loupes Fair - then you will all get great group discounts - I got my featherlight for 50%+ off of normal price!

I would say no. I have quite a few friends in a military scholarship and they all have a lot of problems getting them covered. The only way to get them covered is for them to be "Required" for a class - kind of like class books. A lot of schools do not want to label them "Required" because they don't want all students to feel obligated to buy them. Also, there is some sort of rule (at least here at Minnesota), that if a book is required and you don't actually buy it, it is considered breaking some sort of rule (sorry I'm not sure on the specifics). I just remember the lengthy response from the administrators to make a lot of sense as to why they don't want them to be "Required".

Honestly, they really don't cost that much for how much they will change your life. They're worth every penny if you get a good fitting pair. With that said, I'm sure you can save up from the monthly stipends they're already going to give you to get a really nice pair. And remember, do NOT buy them on your own - make sure you school does a Loupes Fair - then you will all get great group discounts - I got my featherlight for 50%+ off of normal price!
Really? That is surprising to me. I don't know how the Military works, but from what I can find on the information that is in the NHSC scholarship program guide, I don't see why they wouldn't. The reps that came today told us that the loupes are not taxed because they are considered a "medical device/clinical supplies." If the NHSC considers them to be "clinical supplies" then that is one of the things listed right in the Other Reasonable Costs section.
And at my school, I actually think they are required. Nobody has come out and told us "you MUST get them," but on our Tuition and Fees list, they are listed under Required Fees right along with a laptop and health insurance (which we HAVE been told are required- no ifs, ands, or buts about it).
Also, based on what the site says about them paying for health insurance if it is required, that makes me think that as long as something is required and fits into one of the categories, then they would cover it (at least in part).
Any thoughts from others? Does anybody know someone who is on the NHSC scholarship already who would know for sure?

Last edited:
Really? That is surprising to me. I don't know how the Military works, but from what I can find on the information that is in the NHSC scholarship program guide, I don't see why they wouldn't. The reps that came today told us that the loupes are not taxed because they are considered a "medical device/clinical supplies." If the NHSC considers them to be "clinical supplies" then that is one of the things listed right in the Other Reasonable Costs section.
And at my school, I actually think they are required. Nobody has come out and told us "you MUST get them," but on our Tuition and Fees list, they are listed under Required Fees right along with a laptop and health insurance (which we HAVE been told are required- no ifs, ands, or buts about it).
Also, based on what the site says about them paying for health insurance if it is required, that makes me think that as long as something is required and fits into one of the categories, then they would cover it (at least in part).
Any thoughts from others? Does anybody know someone who is on the NHSC scholarship already who would know for sure?

At UCLA you have to sign a form that states that you WILL buy loupes during your first year (and specifically that you must BUY them and not just use your siblings's or parent's old ones). So, at least for UCLA, they are already calculated into the "cost of education" and therefore the NHSC will pay for it entirely.

Check with your school.

At UCLA you have to sign a form that states that you WILL buy loupes during your first year (and specifically that you must BUY them and not just use your siblings's or parent's old ones). So, at least for UCLA, they are already calculated into the "cost of education" and therefore the NHSC will pay for it entirely.

Check with your school.
Well that is good to hear. My school definitely has them built into the "cost of education" as well and most likely (99.98%) listed them on anything that they would have given to the NHSC. But if that is in fact the case, would you think there is a limit on how much you can spend on them. I don't want to splurge or anything, but it was highly recommended that I get a light as well so it would be good to know if that would be covered or if I had to wait on that until I could save up for it.

... but maybe I should wait until things are final with the scholarship first before I count on someone else paying for my supplies. It's just that we have to place our order by Sept 27th. Do you think we will have heard a final word by then?

Well that is good to hear. My school definitely has them built into the "cost of education" as well and most likely (99.98%) listed them on anything that they would have given to the NHSC. But if that is in fact the case, would you think there is a limit on how much you can spend on them. I don't want to splurge or anything, but it was highly recommended that I get a light as well so it would be good to know if that would be covered or if I had to wait on that until I could save up for it.

... but maybe I should wait until things are final with the scholarship first before I count on someone else paying for my supplies. It's just that we have to place our order by Sept 27th. Do you think we will have heard a final word by then?

I hope every day that we will hear by then, haha! :xf:

Scheduled site maintenance again. Last time, more finalist emails went out the day before the site went down. I guess we'll see if that trend holds true.

Aaaaand there we have it. I believe the trend is true. I received my finalist email the day before site maintenance and I just had my contract electronically signed by "OFAM Approver, HRSA" today (again the day before site maintenance). That means, if I may be so bold to say, we now know when to expect updates! If you are not a finalist yet, I would be on the lookout for an email this evening.

Last edited:
Aaaaand there we have it. I believe the trend is true. I received my finalist email the day before site maintenance and I just had my contract electronically signed by "OFAM Approver, HRSA" today (again the day before site maintenance). That means, if I may be so bold to say, we now know when to expect updates! If you are not a finalist yet, I would be on the look out for an email this evening.

YAY! You're signed.... Maybe we'll hear final word in the next few days!

YAY! You're signed.... Maybe we'll hear final word in the next few days!
Hopefully! I do wish that they would accept some more people just because I know there are some who really do deserve it and haven't been made a finalist yet... but at the same time, the wait is killing me and I just want things to be official already haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully! I do wish that they would accept some more people just because I know there are some who really do deserve it and haven't been made a finalist yet... but at the same time, the wait is killing me and I just want things to be official already haha

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Did anyone receive a finalist email today, or within the past few weeks?

I JUST GOT THE OFFICIAL CONGRATS EMAIL!!!
"Congratulations and welcome to the 2013 National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) class of 2013!"
WOOO HOO!

Got mine too.
Congrats to all that received the email today!

In a crazy turn of events, I did not get one... :scared:

I am trying to stay calm because I read people last year getting emails hours after everyone else......................

And I have that signature, so.

Here is to some anxious email checking all day. haha!

What time did both of you get yours (EST)?
Is your status changed in the portal?

In a crazy turn of events, I did not get one... :scared:

I am trying to stay calm because I read people last year getting emails hours after everyone else......................

And I have that signature, so.

Here is to some anxious email checking all day. haha!

What time did both of you get yours (EST)?
Is your status changed in the portal?
Yeah, everything changed and it is now a participant portal. I got my email at 11:22 am (mountain time).

Ok... Speak of the NHSC DEVIL!

I did not receive the email, but, my portal updated to participant and it has my congrats letter on there.

So, I guess it's official?

:love:

Ok... Speak of the NHSC DEVIL!

I did not receive the email, but, my portal updated to participant and it has my congrats letter on there.

So, I guess it's official?

:love:
Yep, thats it! All the email said anyway was "You have received a new message from the Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service (BCRS). Please use the link below to log in and view the message."
Congrats!

Hey, you guys are getting paid to go to dental school...

Awesome.

Yep, thats it! All the email said anyway was "You have received a new message from the Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service (BCRS). Please use the link below to log in and view the message."
Congrats!

YEAH! I just got the official email.... at 6:45 EST?! CRAZY!

Anywaysssss... Now I can officially stop worrying.

Now we have to wait for the webinar email... HAHA!

:lock: :zip: :lock: :zip: :lock: :zip: :lock:

:thumbup: Congrats!
YEAH! I just got the official email.... at 6:45 EST?! CRAZY!

Anywaysssss... Now I can officially stop worrying.

Now we have to wait for the webinar email... HAHA!

:lock: :zip: :lock: :zip: :lock: :zip: :lock:

We are all c/o 2017 (or earlier)!

Your application cycle will open in March 2014.

(I thought it was confusing too)

So you guys get offered a scholarship before seeing what schools you get accepted to and without seeing what the other schools might offer you?

Congratulation guys!!!!!! I can't wait for my turn to apply!!!!

So you guys get offered a scholarship before seeing what schools you get accepted to and without seeing what the other schools might offer you?

No. You cannot apply to the NHSC scholarship without having been accepted to a school. So, for example, if you were applying this cycle, you would (ideally) hear from schools at the beginning of December. Then, in March 2014, you will start your application. This means that you will probably have pulled out loans at the school you are attending before you even hear about the results of the scholarship.

When you fill out your app, you need to have chosen what dental school you will be attending. The scholarship will only be offered once they have checked with your indicated school that you are indeed attending there next year.

No. You cannot apply to the NHSC scholarship without having been accepted to a school. So, for example, if you were applying this cycle, you would (ideally) hear from schools at the beginning of December. Then, in March 2014, you will start your application. This means that you will probably have pulled out loans at the school you are attending before you even hear about the results of the scholarship.

When you fill out your app, you need to have chosen what dental school you will be attending. The scholarship will only be offered once they have checked with your indicated school that you are indeed attending there next year.

Ah, many thanks. I plan on applying 2014. I would apply for this in 2015 then , correct?

For those who applied, would you mind sharing who wrote your letters of rec? I'm in ferneezy's pot, just applying to schools this cycle, but this is looking like an attractive option. I'd assume that acquiring LORs for this might be particularly tricky because you'd want the writer to not only know you well, but also be familiar enough with the NHSC to attest to your commitment to their mission/values/goals/etc.
I had one of my professors from my first year (I'm a D2 now) who worked with us in our pre-clinical dentistry class and who I worked closely with for my ASDA position. Our school also offers a mission trip to Honduras, so I had the attending dentist on that trip write me one as well. I would say to pick people who know your character the best. You can always send them your resume and they can build from there!