NHSC NHSC Residency Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joewildcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if dual residency options are available to NHSC scholars? I was wondering if the NHSC allows for IM/EM combined residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Some dual residency options are available. IM/EM is not one of them.

(In case you wanted to know, the acceptable options are:
- IM/peds
- IM/Family Med
- Family Med/Psych
- IM/psych)

Emergency Medicine is not considered primary care, so it is not eligible, in any form.

Is subspecialization (i.e. fellowships) before or after service repayment in any way punished?

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you're done, you're done. NHSC would like you to stay where you are at serving the community in your primary care specialty, as that is the whole goal of the program (not to address healthcare shortages not so much in 2-4 year stints of your repayment, but in the idea that a percentage of providers will stay.) They help make this ideal through the option to switch to loan repayment. But when your contract is over, you are free to move on.

Is subspecialization (i.e. fellowships) before or after service repayment in any way punished?

Sub-specialization/Fellowships BEFORE service repayment are certainly punished. They consider that defaulting on your service repayment, and will charge you the usual "3x what we paid for you plus accumulated interest."

Fellowship AFTER service repayment is fine.

Sub-specialization/Fellowships BEFORE service repayment are certainly punished. They consider that defaulting on your service repayment, and will charge you the usual "3x what we paid for you plus accumulated interest."

Fellowship AFTER service repayment is fine.
Yes, sorry, I missed the "before".

Speaking of default, I just saw that the NHSC has a default calculator on the portal. For kicks I checked to see what my sum would be. I am two months into a two year loan repayment contract. I think the figure was like $215k if I got cold feet now! Luckily I've done two years for the scholarship program and like my site. But it sure is a leap of faith.

Reactions: 1 user