NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

  • Yes

    Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

    Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

    Votes: 18 9.3%

  • Total voters
    194

coldicecream

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scholarship is closed for the cycle!
Due: Thursday May 16, 2019 by 7:30pm
Awards Available: approx 155
This scholarship is really competitive so good luck to everyone!

NHSC 2018-2019 Forum

Essay Questions:
*Essay 1: How will you contribute to the mission of the National Health Service Corps in providing care to underserved communities?
*Essay 2: What experiences have you had or activities have you participated in that have prepared you to work with underserved populations?
*Essay 3: Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in primary health care.

What does the scholarship offer?
Tuition and fees for your school paid for as well as a monthly living stipend.

How do you pay back?
For each year that you use the scholarship, you "pay" back by working at a NHSC-approved site in a high-need urban, rural, or frontier community across the nation. A minimum of 2 years of giving back is required and a maximum of 4 years of financial support will be given.

Here is a link to the application and program guide: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf

The application is officially CLOSED!
Thanks @Pearl E. White for the breakdown of whats to come!

For reference, here is a list of the dates (as recorded by SDN users) for updates on the scholarship last year.
Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 17
2nd round - Aug 3
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 8
2nd round - Aug 13
3rd round - Aug 16
Counter-signature Notification: After downloading a copy of the contract, it was signed by Jamie King
Sept 14

Keep in mind these dates will likely be a week or 2 earlier than ours because their deadline to submit was a week earlier. Wishing everyone the best of luck! :highfive:
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
quick question. So unfortunately i didn't receive it last year so I am re-applying. How much do you recommenced I change my essay questions if not much really changed except im in dental school rn.
 
Do you guys know if it is rolling admissions (like dental school admissions) or do they just review them all and pick the best? I'm trying to decide if it is important to submit right when it opens or if it's fine to get it in anytime before the deadline.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have an idea how important specific reference letters are compared with essay / overall application?
 
Is there a number or email available to ask questions specifically about this scholarship application? The contact numbers are for BHW and other things.
 
Does the disadvantaged background verification need to be sent to the financial aid office of our dental school or undergrad?
 
Would it be okay to use LORs that I used for my medical school applications? I already have them in interfolio.
 
Would someone be willing to tell me how many words/characters the essays can be? I have the questions answered already, but if it is too long, I want to work on deleting some. I still have to confirm one of my LORs so I can't advance to the essay page unfortunately. Thanks in advance!
 
Would someone be willing to tell me how many words/characters the essays can be? I have the questions answered already, but if it is too long, I want to work on deleting some. I still have to confirm one of my LORs so I can't advance to the essay page unfortunately. Thanks in advance!
Either 2,500 characters/essay or 500 words/essay. It has been unclear in the past. Safest thing is try to meet both requirements.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else's school all year round (fall, spring, summer terms)? I had trouble putting the start and end dates of all four years since it has to fit within the NHSC SP fiscal year of July 1st and June 30th. I just entered from fall to spring. Do you think that'll suffice?
 
If you are admitted somewhere but end up getting in off a waitlist somewhere else, do you think it matters? I will likely ask them soon anyway, but curious if anyone knows.
 
Is anyone else's school all year round (fall, spring, summer terms)? I had trouble putting the start and end dates of all four years since it has to fit within the NHSC SP fiscal year of July 1st and June 30th. I just entered from fall to spring. Do you think that'll suffice?
That is what happened with me so I just put the end of the year at June 30 and the beginning at July 1.
 
If you are admitted somewhere but end up getting in off a waitlist somewhere else, do you think it matters? I will likely ask them soon anyway, but curious if anyone knows.
It does. There have been multiple cases where people have been disqualified due to that. Make sure to call them and ask specifically how to handle that. I know at least one person who was able to make that work.
 
For the start and end dates that we are requesting funding, do we put the years we will be in dental school?
So I'm asking for 2 years and classes start Sept. Would I put Sept 2019-August 2020 and Sept 2020-Aug 2021?
 
has anyone found out if you send the Disadvantaged form to your undergrad or dental school before I call tomorrow?
 
Is it recommended to try and write close to the 500 word count limit or is it okay to write closer to 300? Does length matter?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad