NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

  • Yes

    Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

    Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

    Votes: 18 9.3%

  • Total voters
    194
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if we can submit a revision (forgot to include something) to our request for reimbursement for expenses if they have already been submitted by our financial aid coordinator?
I think you can but it'll be after you review the email breakdown for what was included in your ORC payment. They sent out an email the other day that said something to that effect
 
those of you that got the 4 year scholarship.. what would you recommend someone that wants this scholarship do? im in my gap year and im a dental assistant right now. should i volunteer?
 
those of you that got the 4 year scholarship.. what would you recommend someone that wants this scholarship do? im in my gap year and im a dental assistant right now. should i volunteer?
Yes! Please volunteer, and try to do it in some underserved areas. I go to mobile clinic sites with Remote Area Medical (RAM), and I think it was helpful to me getting the scholarship.

Also, start writing your essays now so that you can get them edited with plenty of time to submit. Good luck to you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is it too late to sign up for this for next year? meaning if i start dental school in august, will they have another scholarship program by then?
 
thanks for the reply! i thought its closed now tho?
It is annual. The application opens in March-ish every year and closes a month or so later. Everything you need to know and look into it is in the application guide on the NHSC SP website.
Ideal timeline:
June- apply to dental school
December- accepted to dental school
March- NHSC SP application opens
April/May- NHSC SP application closes (hopefully you applied)
Fall- start dental school
September- awarded NHSC scholarship
 
It is annual. The application opens in March-ish every year and closes a month or so later. Everything you need to know and look into it is in the application guide on the NHSC SP website.
Ideal timeline:
June- apply to dental school
December- accepted to dental school
March- NHSC SP application opens
April/May- NHSC SP application closes (hopefully you applied)
Fall- start dental school
September- awarded NHSC scholarship

Thank you so much for clarifying. Does this mean we would apply for federal loans and pay tuition before we find out we are possible recipients of the NHSC scholarship?
 
I'm interested in applying for the NHSC scholarship in the upcoming cycle but the school that I have been accepted to and plan to attend has LCME preliminary accreditation. Will this affect my ability to apply because it is not full accreditation?
 
It usually opens around March/April (or later) and is open for about a month.
The essays have not changed in the almost 7 years since I applied so I would say it is safe to start writing them based on the existing prompts.

What would you advise for reapplying? Should I change my essays? New letters of recommendation? I started dental school in August and haven’t had much time to volunteer. I don’t who I would ask for a new letter so I was thinking about using the same one or having them re-write it. Not sure if this is a good idea. I would appreciate any advice from anyone on this. I’m also open to any other tips on reapplying.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What would you advise for reapplying? Should I change my essays? New letters of recommendation? I started dental school in August and haven’t had much time to volunteer. I don’t who I would ask for a new letter so I was thinking about using the same one or having them re-write it. Not sure if this is a good idea. I would appreciate any advice from anyone on this. I’m also open to any other tips on reapplying.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I would say new everything, but at the very least, revise the essays, get new letters from the same people.
 
I havent really done much volunteering since i graduated in 2018. i have just been working as a dental assistant. are my chances pretty low because of this?
 
I havent really done much volunteering since i graduated in 2018. i have just been working as a dental assistant. are my chances pretty low because of this?
No, I don’t think recent experiences are super important. If you can just play things up, show your commitment in your essays, prove a history of serving underserved/underinsured populations, you should be fine.
 
Are there any stats for how many applications they get and how many awards they give out? An acceptance/ award rate? I know they have around 155 awards but how many apps??
 
Are there any stats for how many applications they get and how many awards they give out? An acceptance/ award rate? I know they have around 155 awards but how many apps??
The amount of applications are all over the place as are the amount of awards given and they change every year. The most I’ve heard is over 3000 applicants (in 2012) and as little as 1700 applicants (in 2013). Awards are usually around 150-200+ (For the years above, there were 212 in 2012 and 182 in 2013). The latest complete numbers that I can find are 2000 applications and 222 awards (in 2018). As you said, in 2019, there were approx 155 awards, but I don’t know how many applicants.
 
Awesome thanks, that's really helpful. And do you happen to know if there's a certain percentage or number allocated to the different fields (medicine, dentistry, PA, etc) or is it just whichever application they like the best? Also post training, would you say there are a good amount of eligibile jobs in most states/ cities? Or does it severely limit where you can live and work after training?
 
Awesome thanks, that's really helpful. And do you happen to know if there's a certain percentage or number allocated to the different fields (medicine, dentistry, PA, etc) or is it just whichever application they like the best? Also post training, would you say there are a good amount of eligibile jobs in most states/ cities? Or does it severely limit where you can live and work after training?
Those are the numbers that I have been looking for and can’t find. I don’t think they release them. All I know is that during my orientation webinar, they took a poll and out of the 200 or so awards that year, about 25 were dental. I don’t think they choose based on discipline though. If you find something, let me know.
I feel like there were plenty of job opportunities, but I also wasn’t super picky. I was very willing to relocate. I know that has been a turnoff with a lot of potential applicants though, they feel like they would be restricted. PAs apparently have been having a tough time, but most others don’t seem to have an issue finding something.
 
Cool, thanks!! If you were to do it again, would you still go the NHSC route or do you think a loan forgiveness program post-training is a good option too? Thanks again for all your comments--extremely helpful!
 
Cool, thanks!! If you were to do it again, would you still go the NHSC route or do you think a loan forgiveness program post-training is a good option too? Thanks again for all your comments--extremely helpful!
I would do the exact same thing that I did. But I also plan to stay in public health/community health center dentistry beyond my NHSC commitment so this was basically just them paying for me to accomplish my goals without much additional commitment. It was the perfect situation for me. It may not be for everyone.
 
ok thanks for your response! I was just curious how that would work. What if your contract is up and you've worked for 4 years and then after that you decided to specialize? I would like to do general practice but i haven't started school yet and was wondering what would happen if I ended up liking a certain specialty.
Once the contract is up you’re free to do as you please
 
you find out if you get the scholarship once u started school already? what if you only wanna go to dental school if hpsp or this scholarship pays for it. should i just risk it? the amount of ~500k scares me
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, does anyone know whether the NHSC scholarship application requires the letters of recommendation to also have the last four digits of my SSN on the letter itself?
 
Hi! I just applied for this year's scholarship but wanted to ask question for those of you who have received it already.. has anyone taken out like 5-10 grand of loans each year just in case the stipend isn't enough each month to care of living? Is this wise?
 
Hi! I just applied for this year's scholarship but wanted to ask question for those of you who have received it already.. has anyone taken out like 5-10 grand of loans each year just in case the stipend isn't enough each month to care of living? Is this wise?
Question, did you apply before or after the May 15th deadline? I have stuff delayed due to COVID and was wondering if they'd offer an extension to submit the app.
 
Hi! I just applied for this year's scholarship but wanted to ask question for those of you who have received it already.. has anyone taken out like 5-10 grand of loans each year just in case the stipend isn't enough each month to care of living? Is this wise?

I may not be the best person to answer this, but in MY specific case.. I lived at home, and had home and food support from my family, so I did not need to take out additional loans. But I know a couple of people who did take out loans because the stipend was not enough. Especially if you are not living at home.. I don't think the stipend is even enough for rent lol.
 
hi all, i know this thread is old but i wanted to ask those who were accepted into the program - if you accept 2 years, are you able to add on additional years later on? I saw that one of the main factors of getting the scholarship is if you are ALREADY a scholar. does that mean if i commit to 2 years i can then add on an additional year before my contract is "over" by d2 year? thanks in advance.
 
hi all, i know this thread is old but i wanted to ask those who were accepted into the program - if you accept 2 years, are you able to add on additional years later on? I saw that one of the main factors of getting the scholarship is if you are ALREADY a scholar. does that mean if i commit to 2 years i can then add on an additional year before my contract is "over" by d2 year? thanks in advance.
I don't think so. But you have to ask the advisor. it depends on your contract.