Nicu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kajNCgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a medical student beginning to think about specialties. I have always been attracted to pediatrics, but I really like using my hands to fix things. I have spent a little time in the NICU and I have really liked it. I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about about neonatology and the types of procedures they do. In addition, any information about how competitive the fellowship/lifestyle factors/salary/etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

kajNCgirl said:
Hi,
I am a medical student beginning to think about specialties. I have always been attracted to pediatrics, but I really like using my hands to fix things. I have spent a little time in the NICU and I have really liked it. I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about about neonatology and the types of procedures they do. In addition, any information about how competitive the fellowship/lifestyle factors/salary/etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.neonatology.org/career/default.html

Is a good place to start. We've talked about it a bit here over the last couple of years so a search of this site will help. Best thing to do is to sit down with one of the neonatologists there and talk with them.

Our most common "procedures" are intubations, umbilical catheter placements and occasional chest tubes. Peripheral arterial lines in tiny babies are a challenge for us often as well.

Fellowships are not terribly competitive to obtain, although, as in every field, it depends on where you want to go - they are most competitive at the largest children's hospitals. Job prospects post-fellowship are abundant in both private and academic practice.

A search and the weblinks will help you on the lifestyle and salary issues. Remember that you must do about 60% of your fellowship time in a research environment. Neo fellows very commonly do basic science projects, often, but not always related to pulmonary biology. Other common research areas include infectious diseases (basic and clinical sciences) and of course, nutrition. :)

Regards

OBP

Hi,

OBP is definitely the expert. I recently placed into neonatology fellowship for 2006 here in Philly, and I've done a bunch of rotations in residency, so I'd be glad to help if you like.

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
jackjinju said:
Hi,

OBP is definitely the expert. I recently placed into neonatology fellowship for 2006 here in Philly, and I've done a bunch of rotations in residency, so I'd be glad to help if you like.

Andrew

I hope you'll update this group on how the fellowship goes (I realize it's a year away) - I think the research aspect - choosing a mentor, trying out labs, etc, is something that is never discussed here and most incoming fellows are pretty clueless about. Let us know how that goes for you.

Keep an eye out for SPR in Hawaii in 2008 - get your research project going as soon as you can after starting so you'll be ready to present there in 2008!

Regards

OBP

Andrew,
Can you add to OBP's feedback? I've been to the website that OBP recommended several times in the past; i was wondering if you could add anything. I really like working with my hands and so I am considering some surgical subspecialties as well, but I love kids, and I love working in the environment of the NICU/PICU. How much time do neonatologists really spend putting in IV's, tubes, etc (ie doing "hands on" work)? I have rounded with neonatologists before, but what is a typical day like for a neonatologist? Also, while salary is certainly not my chief concern, I am curious as to how much they generally earn, as I have heard anything from $85K to $250K, quite a variation. Any feedback as far as why you decided on neonatology would be great.

Thanks!

kajNCgirl said:
Andrew,
Can you add to OBP's feedback? I've been to the website that OBP recommended several times in the past; i was wondering if you could add anything. I really like working with my hands and so I am considering some surgical subspecialties as well, but I love kids, and I love working in the environment of the NICU/PICU. How much time do neonatologists really spend putting in IV's, tubes, etc (ie doing "hands on" work)? I have rounded with neonatologists before, but what is a typical day like for a neonatologist? Also, while salary is certainly not my chief concern, I am curious as to how much they generally earn, as I have heard anything from $85K to $250K, quite a variation. Any feedback as far as why you decided on neonatology would be great.

Thanks!

Hi,

First OBP, I'm gonna try to meet with some research people to (hopefully) decide what lab to work in, (clinical research, or whatever it is i'm inclined towards). I'll definitely keep you updated :) I'm such a planner ... lol

KajNC....It sorta depends if you're in private practice or academics vis a vis number of procedures you do, I would suspect. In private practice you would do more as you don't have residents and fellows beneath you...though I'm sure lots of places have NNPs that can do the same stuff. OBP named the basic procedures. For what it's worth, I was gonna do peds anesthesia until 4th year of med school, and I think you can scratch a lot of the same itches in NICU.

A typical day is hard to say, as you can be the "on service person" where you're rounding in the morning, and doing decision making/putting out fires should they erupt. If you're on-call, then you're more likelyto be putting out fires, +/- admissions, procedures, etc. Just "holding the fort" until the next day, unless the fort is really screwed up, of course lol. Salary, from what I've been told around the Northeast, varies. I think private practice starts from 150K-200K, with academics starting from 100K-140K...very rough numbers here. I think private tends to get up to around 200-250K, though I've heard stories of higher salaries if you're a dept. chair at a busy private hospital. There's always moonlighting no matter what type of NICU u do, if you wanna work more and supplement your income....what else do you wanna ask? I've also had interview experiences, and know what some of the better places are (either by interviewing there or by word of mouth)....

Andrew

You might want to check this link out for some info.
http://www.aap.org/visit/Neo.pdf#search='neonatology%20survey'

I forgot...the places I interviewed at if you wanna know about em are:

Brown
St. Christopher's
Jefferson
CHOP
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard/Boston Children's

I know some of the other biggies by reputation if you'd like to know....hope I can continue to help.

OBP and jackjinju, what do you most like about neonatology and what do you like the least?

makesomerheum said:
OBP and jackjinju, what do you most like about neonatology and what do you like the least?

Well, since at this exact moment I'm sitting in the business class lounge in a fine European city on my way to teach neonatology in a developing country....I'd say the travel is the best part, especially when you get to the Sky Team platinum elite level....

The worst part would be having to sit down with a family and tell them that the situation is virtually hopeless. But you get used to it.

Regards

OBP

Well, I have less experience of course...but I like the ICU/ventilator/procedure/physiology aspect of, and what I like least about it is creating the ex-23 weeker, trach/vented/HIE kids......

I'm sure this will change though :D

(working wierd hours is sorta plus/minus, too)

jackjinju said:
(working wierd hours is sorta plus/minus, too)

In NICU, what is the typical shift schedule? Can you have a decent family life?