night float

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucinda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how about a list of programs with night float? seems like it might make life outside the program livable.

Members don't see this ad.

Lucinda said:
how about a list of programs with night float? seems like it might make life outside the program livable.

Check the APGO website. Your school should have a password.

I get the sense that nearly all programs have some kind of night float system in an effort to comply with the 80 hour work week. Of the 11 programs I interviewed at, only one does not have night float. There are pros and cons to each system. The residents at the one program I saw without night float were very protective of their call system and year after year have voted not to institute night float because they feel that they get more time off without it. I would recommend looking at programs both with and without night float; it's probably not the thing that's ultimately going to make or break your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems easier to mention those w/out a nite float. Of all the places I know about/interviewed at, those one's without were: GW on gyn with nite float on OB months, Kaiser LA, Dartmouth, and Duke while they're at their community hospitals.

actually, i found that most of my programs had traditional call during intern year at least. about 33% had night float during 2-3 or 4 years. i cannot think of one that was night float all the way through. this surprised me. personally, i could have gone either way. i like the shift work of night float, and the fact that when not floating, you go home at night. but, traditional call is cool too, as you go home the next day by noon. and, with the 80 hour rule, it seems like 6 in one, half dozen the other. in most programs you will get near 80 hours a week on some months, and get 50-60 on others. i didn't notice a big difference overall in the time spent working.

There is a way to select night float at AMA web site I believe in advanced options under Ob/Gyn listings. I would highly recommend it as this was the reason I changed programs.