The Night Before???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcpremed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as my interview schedule is getting more and more crowded, I am finding that I am having to schedule interviews back to back, and while I know this is not optimal, I am not at the point of knowing which interviews to cancel, so with that being said, it looks like I may have to forego "night before" festivities.

I am sure that this is detrimental, but does anyone know here programs where it might have less of an impact or programs where it is will basically take you off of their rank list?

Any thoughts, ideas...info you have from others would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(PS: From my handle, you can probably tell that it's been a while since I've logged in...I would say roughly 5 years--I deferred for a year...)

Members don't see this ad.

So as my interview schedule is getting more and more crowded, I am finding that I am having to schedule interviews back to back, and while I know this is not optimal, I am not at the point of knowing which interviews to cancel, so with that being said, it looks like I may have to forego "night before" festivities.

I am sure that this is detrimental, but does anyone know here programs where it might have less of an impact or programs where it is will basically take you off of their rank list?

Any thoughts, ideas...info you have from others would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(PS: From my handle, you can probably tell that it's been a while since I've logged in...I would say roughly 5 years--I deferred for a year...)

i don't really know about every program but my PD just told us to go to all the pre-interview activities because if you don't, its looks like you are just not interested enough in the program to attend (and hence lower in the rankings)...but it may depend like you said. personally i would concentrate on less interviews and do my best to attend everything and impress than more programs and be spread out thin...if that makes sense at all

You can't go to everything, right? I mean, what if your travel plans prevent you from attending certain events? Shouldn't the interview be most important in this process??

Members don't see this ad :)
I second Genome25 - I've been advised to go to ALL of the night before activities - residents have a say in the rankings and they want to get to know you and be assured that you're a nice, normal, easy to be with person (since you'll be spending so much time with them). In my experience (I'm a little older, probably none the wiser) the interview BEGINS the moment you step on the plane and doesn't end until you get off the plane 2 days later. I think it would be safe to say that the night before is just as important as the 1/2 hour in the PD's office the next day.

I wouldn't base your hope of getting into a program on whether or not you can attend a function the night before. A program that ranks you will do so on your application and how well you interview. Don't base your schedule on those types of activities. Your interview comes first. If you are having scheduling conflicts, just e-mail the coordinator and let them know you are unable to attend because of your interview schedule. We do not have a function the night before at our program. We give our applicants a full day and plenty of time to speak to residents and faculty. This way, no one feels slighted or feels bad that they were not able to make a function the night before.

I think the jest of this is that if you go to the night before social - be on your best behavior. You are being evaluated the whole time. They do give you an opportunity to meet more of the residents in a more relaxed setting. If you can't make it, it's not a huge deal. The interview is the most important part for you to be evaluated by. But if you do something really obnoxious at the night before... it will be noticed.