NIH IRTA- Loan Repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DougFlutie

Early Retirement
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any experience with the IRTA program at NIH, I was curious as to whether or not the classes you take there count towards the stipulation that you do not have to pay back student loans while still attending "school". It would be alot easier to attend the program if it wasn't necessary to being loan repayment 6 months in.

I'd also like to note that interest rates for loans jump on July 1st; If some of you were thinking about consolidating- now might be a good time.

Members don't see this ad.

DougFlutie said:
If anyone has any experience with the IRTA program at NIH, I was curious as to whether or not the classes you take there count towards the stipulation that you do not have to pay back student loans while still attending "school". It would be alot easier to attend the program if it wasn't necessary to being loan repayment 6 months in.

I'd also like to note that interest rates for loans jump on July 1st; If some of you were thinking about consolidating- now might be a good time.

I believe you have an option of deferring payment whether you are taking classes or now. You can find the info on IRTA webpage.

I am currently an IRTA at the NIH and you can have your loans deffered even if you don't take classes there. It is very easy you just fill out a form when you start and there are whole departments set up to make sure you can accomplish things like this. Bottom line is loan deferment is not an issue.