NIH IRTA or Americorps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuckleberryEven

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm planning on applying in 2024 and I applied to an Americorps position with the intention of applying to more in 2023 when the new cycle opens up (they organization I was accepted with has a weird cycle). However, I just learned yesterday that I got an interview at an NIH lab through the IRTA program. While it's not a hundred percent confirmed I heard that for this lab interviews are usually just a formality so I'm confident that I'll get it. But, now I'm just a bit confused about which one to do. They're both public health involved which is something that I am interested and will be a huge component of my applications and my career goals. I'm also pretty strong with research and non-clinical service so it's not like I need to prioritize one over the other. I"m leaning towards NIH because it's a guaranteed two year position whereas for Americorps I'd have to reapply at the end of my service in 2024 but I don't think it would be too much of a hassle. Do you guys have any opinions on which one I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Americorps tends to deal with helping out the community directly while NIH IRTA is more for your building your own research experience while also potentially making an impact on the local community but usually much less direct. As a result, Americorps tends to be more stressful on a personal level (though obviously, this is dependent on what role you are doing within Americorps). What would you rather do? If pay and/or student loans are also an issue, consider the NIH IRTA stipend vs Americorps salary + their education award. If you want a chiller time while also beefing up your application, do NIH.

It depends on your application. Do you want the research focus for your application? If so, NIH IRTA would be great if you have had minimal experience and need a full-time focus on a research-oriented direction such as MD/PhD. Of course, working in your lab should be your full-time job and focus, and any opportunity to do some volunteering on the side is done at your peril since no one at the IRTA office arranges such opportunities (as far as I know).

That said, many adcoms love Americorps for evidence of community service and non-clinical volunteering. It depends on what you are doing. Most applicants really don't shine when it comes to non-clinical community service, and an Americorps/Peace Corps experience is very helpful. But do it if it works for your purpose for helping others from underrepresented or under-resourced backgrounds in general. Don't do it because it might give you a better shot at medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your application. Do you want the research focus for your application? If so, NIH IRTA would be great if you have had minimal experience and need a full-time focus on a research-oriented direction such as MD/PhD. Of course, working in your lab should be your full-time job and focus, and any opportunity to do some volunteering on the side is done at your peril since no one at the IRTA office arranges such opportunities (as far as I know).

That said, many adcoms love Americorps for evidence of community service and non-clinical volunteering. It depends on what you are doing. Most applicants really don't shine when it comes to non-clinical community service, and an Americorps/Peace Corps experience is very helpful. But do it if it works for your purpose for helping others from underrepresented or under-resourced backgrounds in general. Don't do it because it might give you a better shot at medical school.
I'm trying to tailor my application more towards the public health and health policy and I think service and research are both super important for that. But I think I just might have a better and more enjoyable experience doing Americorps or National Health Corps so I think I'll lean more to that. Thank you so much!

I am not sure about Americorps, but I know IRTA's get really great mentoring/pre-med advising that's been invaluable to me this cycle. I also would say that while volunteering is not 'arranged', almost every lab has flexible hours and most IRTAs volunteer. The ORTE office even has resources that recommend certain local volunteering options. If you have only heard from one lab I would also advise that the IRTA application relies heavily on applicants emailing labs they are interested in, rather than waiting for labs to reach out to them. So if there are other more public health facing labs you would be more interested in, that is also an option.

I went through the IRTA program and can say it was one of the best experiences I had. If you are at all interested in a research career, IRTA is the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user