Too late to apply to NIH post-bacc IRTA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Is it too late to apply to NIH IRTA to start in 4 months (October) for a year

  • Too late

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Apply!

    Votes: 4 57.1%

  • Total voters
    7

ColZee9

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear SDN,

I just graduated in Neuroscience in the top 1% of my class overall (GPA: 3.96). I plan to take 2 gap years and thus plan to apply next cycle. I'll make this brief whilst still giving important context:

I put all of my eggs into one basket for this gap year and made it to semi-finalist for a Fulbright research grant but ultimately did not get the award. I now am trying to line up other plans for this first year. Thus, here I am with the question:

Is it too late to apply to NIH post-bacc IRTA right now in June to start in October? (4 months out)

I know that most people apply around January and begin in June/July despite admissions being "rolling". Would there still be (m)any open spots left at this point?

I am currently working as an ED scribe and volunteering in a great lab which I think will merit publications. I have 1 first author review publication from another lab I used to work in. I'll be taking my MCAT in September and thus will be studying and working until then. I plan to discuss the prospect of receiving pay and working full time in my current lab after my MCAT but I am unsure if this will be a possibility.

Should I apply to NIH?
 
Last edited: