Too late to apply to NIH post-bacc IRTA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it too late to apply to NIH IRTA to start in 4 months (October) for a year

• Too late

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Apply!

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

ColZee9

Reaction score
Dear SDN,

I just graduated in Neuroscience in the top 1% of my class overall (GPA: 3.96). I plan to take 2 gap years and thus plan to apply next cycle. I'll make this brief whilst still giving important context:

I put all of my eggs into one basket for this gap year and made it to semi-finalist for a Fulbright research grant but ultimately did not get the award. I now am trying to line up other plans for this first year. Thus, here I am with the question:

Is it too late to apply to NIH post-bacc IRTA right now in June to start in October? (4 months out)

I know that most people apply around January and begin in June/July despite admissions being "rolling". Would there still be (m)any open spots left at this point?

I am currently working as an ED scribe and volunteering in a great lab which I think will merit publications. I have 1 first author review publication from another lab I used to work in. I'll be taking my MCAT in September and thus will be studying and working until then. I plan to discuss the prospect of receiving pay and working full time in my current lab after my MCAT but I am unsure if this will be a possibility.

Should I apply to NIH?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: