NIH IRTA Postbacs 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woofer23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread for incoming postbacs in the NIH IRTA program this Spring/Summer. If you are looking for housing or need a roommate, please let me know !

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to start a thread for incoming postbacs in the NIH IRTA program this Spring/Summer. If you are looking for housing or need a roommate, please let me know !
Hello! I am new to the forum and I will be working as a NIH IRTA postbac this upcoming cycle. I am not from the region and would like to know if you or anyone has suggestions on finding housing and roommates. Thank you!

Is the NIH postbacc program going forward despite the pandemic? I heard that it was getting shut down for now.

Is the NIH postbacc program going forward despite the pandemic? I heard that it was getting shut down for now.

I work at the NIH. If you’ve already been hired, you will be on boarded and working virtually.

Hello! I am new to the forum and I will be working as a NIH IRTA postbac this upcoming cycle. I am not from the region and would like to know if you or anyone has suggestions on finding housing and roommates. Thank you!

Follow club PCR link that has already been posted. That’s the Facebook group for NIH postbacs.

I got my NIH offer in February but I haven't done the onboarding for the badge and orientation yet. About a month ago, my PI mentioned that the summer program was canceled but the IRTA program is still proceeding. My start date was pushed back a bit due to the pandemic. @MyOdyssey @Bond-HydrogenBond has there been any updates regarding cancelation to the IRTA program for those who haven't started yet? I'm in this limbo state where I've received my offer but am only midway through orientation. Wondering if I should ask my PI as well...

Are people still moving to Bethesda/Baltimore or staying where they are b/c we're going virtual?

Some labs have started opening up for non-remote work, so it really just depends on your PI. I'll be moving to Bethesda by September to work physically in lab 3 days a week and remotely for 2 days.

Some labs have started opening up for non-remote work, so it really just depends on your PI. I'll be moving to Bethesda by September to work physically in lab 3 days a week and remotely for 2 days.

Oh okay, my lab's still figuring it out so I guess I'll still move

Oh okay, my lab's still figuring it out so I guess I'll still move
Have you talked to your PI about your options? I don't know if I would make plans to move until you're sure you'll have to come into lab physically. I think the timeline also depends on if your work will be more wet lab or computational.

is anyone working physically in their labs yet or know when they will be in the future?

IRTAs have already started working physically the lab. I would recommend to reach out to your PI to see if you need to come into lab for your work. This depends on the type of research you do (e.g. wet lab v. computational / bioinformatics).