NIH IRTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep.

And all the kids are wandering around, knowing this week's food might be the last they have for awhile, hearing whispers in the hall, though the adults still all have tired smiles and assurances that it's all going to be okay.

Watching their coworkers cry in the hall as they realize the staff scientist position is probably no longer available that they had been basically promised once continuing resolution had passed...and worked their whole life at the NIH towards.

Low level, at best, anxiety and some sort of profound feelings of dejection and dismissal. It's amazing how jobs and lives matter unless it's federal jobs- people who give their lives for the betterment of Americans at large, taking a huge pay cut usually.

But that's just for now, hopefully. And only for some departments/institutes. Once it gets sorted out, all will be happy and well and hopeful as usual. So don't get down about it, potential postbacs haha. Science goes through these phases. Also, the NIH has ALWAYS had bipartisan support, and actually, Republican presidents usually fund it more. I think there will be a bloodbath if the NIH budget gets truly cut, and Big Pharma is lobbying against the cut as well. I anticipate this will all get brushed under the rug, for the NIH, at least.

DON'T WORRY EVERYONE. Haha.

Idk, while the NIH has had bipartisan support, all that support has done is prevent cuts but the budget hasnt really kept up with the demands for scientific funding, the growing expense of doing science, the glut of scientific trainees, the historically low funding rates for junior investigators, etc. But all of that is outside of the purview of this thread. I too doubt the cuts will be as deep as the WH proposal says. I do think cuts are coming though. If you are also cutting taxes, you have to find those extra 54 billion dollars for defense somehow.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk, while the NIH has had bipartisan support, all that support has done is prevent cuts but the budget hasnt really kept up with the demands for scientific funding, the growing expense of doing science, the glut of scientific trainees, the historically low funding rates for junior investigators, etc. But all of that is outside of the purview of this thread. I too doubt the cuts will be as deep as the WH proposal says. I do think cuts are coming though. If you are also cutting taxes, you have to find those extra 54 billion dollars for defense somehow.
Indeed on all fronts.

Military definitely need new stuff, they have suffered with crap that doesn't work for a long time. But there is other places to make cuts...the heart of American science makes no sense. I had to leave SPF again for awhile because I couldn't stand the "why can't we just do private funding of science?!?!" and not understanding why that would mean we would fall behind in the world. But that's enough politics for this thread...

Indeed on all fronts.

Military definitely need new stuff, they have suffered with crap that doesn't work for a long time. But there is other places to make cuts...the heart of American science makes no sense. I had to leave SPF again for awhile because I couldn't stand the "why can't we just do private funding of science?!?!" and not understanding why that would mean we would fall behind in the world. But that's enough politics for this thread...

Hey guys, I wanted to ask you if I could get your input on something.

So I have been speaking with someone who works at the NIH about working in the lab as a post bac IRTA, and I told him that I would like to work in his lab for 2 years for the program. He sent me the paperwork that I must do to apply for the lab. So I guess I have unofficially accepted this job.

I recently heard back from 2 other research technician positions I applied for at a medical school. I interviewed at one the other day, and I will be interviewing at the other in a few days.

I'm pretty sure the med school lab I already interviewed at would take me if I start working soon enough. They seemed to like me. I just think they would be less lenient in terms of giving me time off for the MCAT if I needed to retake.

First of all, do you think it would matter whether I pursue the NIH IRTA position or research tech position?

Pros for IRTA position:
I am pretty interested in the research
It's the NIH
PI seems like a really great guy and seems to be very focused on the learning aspect, seems very supportive.
He has also told me that he will give me time off to study for the MCAT if I need to retake it
He has an MD, so he seems very understanding of the med school process and willing to be flexible

For the med school tech position:
I'm pretty sure it will pay significantly more than the IRTA position, like $40,000 per year as opposed to about $28,000.
The research is sort of the same type of research that the NIH PI is doing, but I am less interested in it
I'm not sure if the job would be guaranteed for my 2 gap years. The NIH PI has already told me I could work there for 2 years.

If I decide I want to work at the med school instead, would it be wrong for me to tell the NIH PI that I have changed my mind?

Also, the NIH position is through the IRTA program, while the med school position is not part of a formal program. I don't know if this should influence my decision, but I know that plenty of people have gone through the NIH program and then went onto med school/graduate school. It seems to be a great place with lots of opportunities for learning about research

Also, can I ask about what the salary would be for the med school technician positions?
And they are research tech positions, so I feel like it might be less of that unique experience the IRTA position would give.

Also, one of the labs at the med school that I am speaking to just opened, so I don't know if that should affect my decision

My dad is pressuring me to take whichever position pays more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tech positions are highly variable in quality. Some have you participating actively in research still, others (maybe most) want you running the same procedures over and over again and you have little input over the work or what should be done in a project. In terms of a valuable research experience, I personally think the IRTA postbacc has more to offer in most cases in terms of quality of research XP and professional development. However, it is up to you to make clear the terms of your employment for the tech positions. I also think being in a trainee position, it is expected that you will need time off for interviews, studying, etc.

@Go4Doc did one of those research tech positions at a medical school so he might have more to say on that end.

Tech positions are highly variable in quality. Some have you participating actively in research still, others (maybe most) want you running the same procedures over and over again and you have little input over the work or what should be done in a project. In terms of a valuable research experience, I personally think the IRTA postbacc has more to offer in most cases in terms of quality of research XP and professional development. However, it is up to you to make clear the terms of your employment for the tech positions. I also think being in a trainee position, it is expected that you will need time off for interviews, studying, etc.

@Go4Doc did one of those research tech positions at a medical school so he might have more to say on that end.

The only reason I'm really considering the medical research tech positions is because it probably pays more. I'm assuming it pays around $40,000 a year, because I see that similar positions elsewhere make about that much. However, I'm not sure what this specific position pays, and I don't know how I should ask about that

I tried asking what benefits were included to try and find out the salary without specifically asking about money, but they didn't say