NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who've had a status switch!! Anyone hear from NIAAA?

And perhaps a running list would be nice/helpful for future reference?

Financial Review notice 2020 cycle:
-4/26: NHLBI Peds (new) (from twitter)
-5/11: NIMH CR (new)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear from NCI?

Edit: NCI (new - clinical) switched to selected this morning (5/12). No email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NCI (first renewal, pediatrics) - saw on portal this morning that status was switched to selected. No email yet.

Reactions: 2 users
hey all, congrats to those with updates! do these changes from "submitted--> selected" typically happen in batches for each IC? Just wondering if there's still a chance, also a NIMH CR first time applicant here - thanks!

hey all, congrats to those with updates! do these changes from "submitted--> selected" typically happen in batches for each IC? Just wondering if there's still a chance, also a NIMH CR first time applicant here - thanks!
Yeah, normally done by each IC at different times and per program (new vs renewal). Keep in mind selected is only selected for financial review, where you submit your loan docs. You could still be denied even if selected for review, although the chances are small at that point.

NIAAA -new clinical, changed to selected this morning! No email yet.

-4/26: NHLBI Peds (new)
-5/12: NCI CR (new); NCI Peds (renewal)
-5/13: NIAAA CR (new)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, normally done by each IC at different times and per program (new vs renewal). Keep in mind selected is only selected for financial review, where you submit your loan docs. You could still be denied even if selected for review, although the chances are small at that point.

I was curious about this as well. I have a new clinical research application to NIMH in this cycle and mine is still sitting at submitted.

Hello! My status has been changed to selected and I got the email about it late last night. New submission, clinical research, NIMH.

-5/12: NCI CR (new); NCI Peds (renewal); NIMH CR (new)
-5/13: NIAAA CR (new)

Just checked and my renewal application for NIAAA changed to selected today.

-5/13: NIAAA CR (new); NIAAA CR (renewal)

NCI renewal application (clinical research) selected for financial review -- got an email last night!

Good luck all.

-5/13: NIAAA CR (new); NIAAA CR (renewal); NCI CR (renewal)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all for collating responses! I’m NCI PEDS renewal as well, and after 2 unsuccessful renewals, finally got the email that my LRP was selected for financial review. Phew! And to those who have not been selected, if it doesn’t happen this year, apply again. And talk with your PO!

Portal changed to selected this morning (5/17) for a new pediatrics NIDDK app. Phew! Good luck everyone keep trying, this was my 3rd attempt.

Just switched to selected for a NIDA clinical renewal application! Woot!

-5/14: NCI Peds (renewal)
-5/17: NIDA CR (renewal); NIDDK Peds (new)

NIA-renewal just turned to selected.

5/17 NIA

New running count:

-5/17: NIDA CR (renewal); NIDDK Peds (new); NIA CR (renewal)

Checked this morning and no change, checked this evening at 10:40 CT and portal changed to selected for NIA Disparities New. No email yet, though.

-5/17: NIDA CR (renewal); NIDDK Peds (new); NIA CR (renewal); NIA Health Disparities (new)

Hello! Can anyone tell me if there's much flexibility with the 15-day timeline they request for submitting loan docs? I reached out to my student loan servicers the day I got my email to request the docs I couldn't find on the website, but they've given me longer estimates (10-15 business days) to get the docs I need, and one will only send through US mail (which of course has more delays right now than usual). I emailed the LRP folks and they said to upload what I have now and add the other documents when I receive them, but they wouldn't comment on how late is too late, etc. I'm having some anxiety about this so any info is helpful! Thanks!

Clinical NIMH 1st renewal here, having switched from health disparities after an unsuccessful renewal last year. Request for loan verifications two days ago and status changed to "selected."

I can't remember- does that just mean selected for review? Or does that mean actually selected for renewal? I can't remember how it went last time! Is it likely it's approved? That would be life-changing.

My Peds renewal at NIAID was updated to selected yesterday, but no email yet. Another person in our group who submitted a new CR app to NICHD has not been updated yet.

-5/17: NIDA CR (renewal); NIDDK Peds (new); NIA CR (renewal); NIA Health Disparities (new)
5/17: NIAID Peds (renewal)

Don't fret too much about the timeline. If you've moved onto financial review, then it means your proposal scored well enough to proceed, which is the biggest hurdle. It would surprise me if they would disqualify you for being a few days later. At any rate, don't stress about something you can't control.

Clinical NIMH 1st renewal here, having switched from health disparities after an unsuccessful renewal last year. Request for loan verifications two days ago and status changed to "selected."

I can't remember- does that just mean selected for review? Or does that mean actually selected for renewal? I can't remember how it went last time! Is it likely it's approved? That would be life-changing.
This is just selected for financial review. There’s a high chance it’ll now get funded but every year some people selected for this step don’t end up getting funded. Be excited but don’t go making life changes until final word comes through in early August.

For renewal applications, it looks like we just email our loan verification information to the LRP folks just like when we verify our quarterly payments. Does anyone know if they send back confirmation of receipt? Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be a way to track the status like when they were new awards via LRP website, right?

I received a confirmation that they had received it and that the updated info would be uploaded into my award profile loan information within 7-10 days.

I received a confirmation that they had received it and that the updated info would be uploaded into my award profile loan information within 7-10 days.
Thanks! I'm assuming it took a few days to get that confirmation? I only sent mine two days ago so not worried about it, assuming I'll hear next week.

My Peds renewal at NIAID was updated to selected yesterday, but no email yet. Another person in our group who submitted a new CR app to NICHD has not been updated yet.

5/17: NIAID Peds (renewal)

Don't fret too much about the timeline. If you've moved onto financial review, then it means your proposal scored well enough to proceed, which is the biggest hurdle. It would surprise me if they would disqualify you for being a few days later. At any rate, don't stress about something you can't control.
Has your colleague heard from NICHD? Nothing but crickets on this thread.

Any updates for NICHD renewals? Getting nervous now!
We have 2 new applications, and 1 renewal to NICHD in our research group, and no one has heard. One other member of our group who had a renewal to NIMH heard last week, so we are hoping it's an NICHD specific "delay".

We have 2 new applications, and 1 renewal to NICHD in our research group, and no one has heard. One other member of our group who had a renewal to NIMH heard last week, so we are hoping it's an NICHD specific "delay".
Thanks for responding! First time renewal application here. I was feeling bummed but now feeling a little hopeful in hearing that no one else has heard either (at least on here).

FWIW, I did look up the meeting minutes for the scientific review branches and a few of them met 1-3 weeks later than they did last year.

Thanks for responding! First time renewal application here. I was feeling bummed but now feeling a little hopeful in hearing that no one else has heard either (at least on here).

FWIW, I did look up the meeting minutes for the scientific review branches and a few of them met 1-3 weeks later than they did last year.
how can you check meeting minutes?

What about NIMHD? Has anyone’s status changed to selected here? First time renewal application for me. Haven’t seen anything about NIMHD yet here.

Pediatric LRP first renewal through NICHD (initial award was through NIBIB), status switched to "selected" when I logged on this morning. No financial email yet.

Edit:

-5/17: NIAID Peds (renewal)
-5/25: NICHD Peds (renewal)

Last edited:
What about NIMHD? Has anyone’s status changed to selected here? First time renewal application for me. Haven’t seen anything about NIMHD yet here.
I applied for an NIMHD health disparities renewal. My status has not changed from submitted, and I have not received an email.

Pediatric LRP first renewal through NICHD (initial award was through NIBIB), status switched to "selected" when I logged on this morning. No financial email yet.
Thanks for the update! Mine still says “submitted.” Hoping they send them out in batches. 😬

When do you hear if not funded?

Anyone hear from NHLBI renewal? couldn't find anything on Twitter.

When do you hear if not funded?

Anyone hear from NHLBI renewal? couldn't find anything on Twitter.

The official funding announcements go out in early/mid-August. About a week after that, the notices go out if you're not funded.

First-time NICHD clinical applicant, status changed to "selected" yesterday morning!! Got an email last night. My colleague with a NICHD renewal was notified last week so I was getting worried!

-5/17: NIAID Peds (renewal)
-5/25: NICHD Peds (renewal) NICHD CR (new)

I dont know who needs to see this, but getting my loan documents was MUCH more difficult than I anticipated, even thought I left a lot of time. I request info from my loan vendors the day we got the email (5/12) and my material still never came through. For people who still have time, or next year applicants who might be read this next year. Start VERY early getting those documents and stay on top of your loan vendors.

I dont know who needs to see this, but getting my loan documents was MUCH more difficult than I anticipated, even thought I left a lot of time. I request info from my loan vendors the day we got the email (5/12) and my material still never came through. For people who still have time, or next year applicants who might be read this next year. Start VERY early getting those documents and stay on top of your loan vendors.
I definitely second this. I figured it would be easy since all of my student loans are from one loan servicer (FedLoan Servicing), but they've been a nightmare to work with. Spent hours on the phone and they kept giving me the runaround. Hoping my documents come in on time 🤞

I definitely second this. I figured it would be easy since all of my student loans are from one loan servicer (FedLoan Servicing), but they've been a nightmare to work with. Spent hours on the phone and they kept giving me the runaround. Hoping my documents come in on time 🤞
I had the same issue with FedLoan Servicing. I actually found my promissory note on FSA instead of through FedLoan Servicing (got the same one from them through snail mail after multiple calls and 2+ weeks). I also got them to issue me a "summary of accounts" since there have been no statements with the forbearance unless you're paying anyway, then submitted screen shots from the website to supplement. All were approved. In case this helps anyone else!

I had the same issue with FedLoan Servicing. I actually found my promissory note on FSA instead of through FedLoan Servicing (got the same one from them through snail mail after multiple calls and 2+ weeks). I also got them to issue me a "summary of accounts" since there have been no statements with the forbearance unless you're paying anyway, then submitted screen shots from the website to supplement. All were approved. In case this helps anyone else!
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get your account summary from FedLoan? They told me 2-5 business days but I'm worried it'll take much longer

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get your account summary from FedLoan? They told me 2-5 business days but I'm worried it'll take much longer
I didn't have too hard a time with FedLoan Servicing - I requested my documents on 5/13 over the phone and they were sent first through the site-specific email feature (those were accepted) but haven't received my hard copies yet. Navient, who I was worried would be nightmarish, actually sent a hard copy via snail mail in less than 7 business days.