NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't have too hard a time with FedLoan Servicing - I requested my documents on 5/13 over the phone and they were sent first through the site-specific email feature (those were accepted) but haven't received my hard copies yet. Navient, who I was worried would be nightmarish, actually sent a hard copy via snail mail in less than 7 business days.
FYI, Navient will also fax your documents, you just have ask. Got mine within the hour when I did it. And if you don't have a fax number, it's cheap to use hello fax, it's what I did to receive them from Navient and to send to NIH.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get your account summary from FedLoan? They told me 2-5 business days but I'm worried it'll take much longer
The account summary was in my secure messaging with them within just a couple of days. It was closer to two weeks before I received any mail from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on an NHLBI renewal (clinical research) over here ... has anybody heard from them? My status still says "submitted". Thanks for any updates!

Helpful to hear everyone's status/updates! I am a Health Disparities - NIMHD first time applicant. Still no news over here either 🙃. For those who were funded through NIMHD last year, does anyone remember around what time they notified (e.g., was it late May, early June, even later than that?). Just wondering if this timeline is normal for them...?

Helpful to hear everyone's status/updates! I am a Health Disparities - NIMHD first time applicant. Still no news over here either 🙃. For those who were funded through NIMHD last year, does anyone remember around what time they notified (e.g., was it late May, early June, even later than that?). Just wondering if this timeline is normal for them...?
Colleague of mine was NIMHD HD new application two years ago and got notified mid-May. This year though, her renewal is also still waiting for any word. I’m guessing these last few institutes are just behind due to COVID or something.

perhaps all of us who have yet to hear did not get funded.

did you hear anything? anyone know any NHLBI renewals who heard positive news?
Don't know anybody with NHLBI renewal pending, so can't say one way or another. It does seem like the NHLBI initial awards were already sent out so would think they would have sent the renewals at the same time. It's possible we were not funded ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the website down for people? I keep getting an error message since yesterday.

Is the website down for people? I keep getting an error message since yesterday.
It's been working for me! Sometimes I have to update my password otherwise I can't log in-- not sure if that's the issue?

It's been working for me! Sometimes I have to update my password otherwise I can't log in-- not sure if that's the issue?
It worked after I posted this for some reason!

NIHMD new application still shows as "Submitted." No new news from NIMHD peeps? :)

It worked after I posted this for some reason!

NIHMD new application still shows as "Submitted." No new news from NIMHD peeps? :)
NIMHD renewal status changed to selected this morning. So NIMHD was really late this year. Hope you receive a positive status change soon!

NIMHD renewal status changed to selected this morning. So NIMHD was really late this year. Hope you receive a positive status change soon!
Thanks for the update and congrats! Do you know if renewals are usually addressed first before new applications? I'm an NIMHD new applicant (still says submitted) and starting to lose hope -- wondering if I should start planning for next cycle...

Thanks for the update and congrats! Do you know if renewals are usually addressed first before new applications? I'm an NIMHD new applicant (still says submitted) and starting to lose hope -- wondering if I should start planning for next cycle...
I think they usually update in batches, renewal and new separately. I wouldn’t give up hope since they were so late this year. It’s really hard to predict. I was initially awarded on my third try, so it doesn’t hurt to start planning for the next cycle. If you don’t get it this year call the IC contact later this summer and they will give you detailed feedback to help with your next application. My advice is don’t give up!

Reactions: 1 users
NIMHD status changed to selected. I'm a new application.

I think they usually update in batches, renewal and new separately. I wouldn’t give up hope since they were so late this year. It’s really hard to predict. I was initially awarded on my third try, so it doesn’t hurt to start planning for the next cycle. If you don’t get it this year call the IC contact later this summer and they will give you detailed feedback to help with your next application. My advice is don’t give up!
Echoing this. Second try for me this cycle and last year, I received a detailed review and scores given by the reviewers. We have to email the PO to get them once the cycle closes. It was helpful.

Does anyone know if each program within NIMHD is evaluated separately?

Last edited:
Peds first time submission (NHLBI) selected for financial review.

I got an email this morning requesting that I provide info on my current funding sources and affirm that I understand I can't engage in for-profit research during the period of the LRP and referencing a start-date for LRP funding (in like a week), but I haven't been notified I'm getting the award and it isn't stated in the email. Did other people get this email? Does it mean anything or is it just something they send to everyone selected for financial review?

I got an email this morning requesting that I provide info on my current funding sources and affirm that I understand I can't engage in for-profit research during the period of the LRP and referencing a start-date for LRP funding (in like a week), but I haven't been notified I'm getting the award and it isn't stated in the email. Did other people get this email? Does it mean anything or is it just something they send to everyone selected for financial review?
I have not received an email like this - are you a new applicant or renewal?

I only received an email stating I was selected for financial review (NIMH new applicant), but haven't heard anything else since I uploaded my documents (besides them confirming they received them).

I think thats a really good sign! I haven't received any notice since they accepted my financial docs 8 days ago. You might be the first on here to get approved! Did your status on the LRP website change?

I think thats a really good sign! I haven't received any notice since they accepted my financial docs 8 days ago. You might be the first on here to get approved! Did your status on the LRP website change?
My status hasn't changed, and I haven't received any sort of acceptance email. I have a friend who said she got an email like this last week and hasn't heard anything since. I've heard they didn't send this type of email last year, and I know this would be a really early notification compared to past years, so I'm trying not to read too much into it!

NIMH, new applicant.

My status hasn't changed, and I haven't received any sort of acceptance email. I have a friend who said she got an email like this last week and hasn't heard anything since. I've heard they didn't send this type of email last year, and I know this would be a really early notification compared to past years, so I'm trying not to read too much into it!

NIMH, new applicant.
Keep us posted if you get anything else! It would be super exciting if they start rolling out acceptances earlier this year

Keep us posted if you get anything else! It would be super exciting if they start rolling out acceptances earlier this year

NIMH, new applicant.
Hi! Is your application clinical track?

I've not heard of this email in past years, it sounds like they just need more about your funding. I'm guessing not everyone will get this email so don't worry if you don't receive it. For reference, all LRP contracts run July 1-June 30 so many current contracts end this month while multiyear ones will run through June 30 next year. Even when notifications go out in august, you're contract still will have begun July 1.

Received the same email today, as did a colleague. I'm not sure what triggered it... but hoping it's maybe good news? My status did not change on the portal. NIAAA, new app.

Received the same email today, as did a colleague. I'm not sure what triggered it... but hoping it's maybe good news? My status did not change on the portal. NIAAA, new app.
I'm wondering if these emails are going out in roughly the same order that financial review notices went out because it looks like NIMH folks got these emails a few days ago and NIAAA today and looking back at the order financial reviews went out (see below), NIMH was early, NIAAA came after...

Financial Review notice 2020 cycle:
-4/26: NHLBI Peds (new)
-5/11: NIMH CR (new)
-5/12: NCI CR (new); NCI Peds (renewal); NIMH CR (new)
-5/13: NIAAA CR (new); NIAAA CR (renewal); NCI CR (renewal)
-5/14: NCI Peds (renewal)
-5/17: NIDA CR (renewal); NIDDK Peds (new); NIA CR (renewal); NIA Health Disparities (new)
-5/17: NIAID Peds (renewal)
-5/25: NICHD Peds (renewal) NICHD CR (new)

I'm wondering if these emails are going out in roughly the same order that financial review notices went out because it looks like NIMH folks got these emails a few days ago and NIAAA today and looking back at the order financial reviews went out (see below), NIMH was early, NIAAA came after...

Financial Review notice 2020 cycle:
-4/26: NHLBI Peds (new)
-5/11: NIMH CR (new)
-5/12: NCI CR (new); NCI Peds (renewal); NIMH CR (new)
-5/13: NIAAA CR (new); NIAAA CR (renewal); NCI CR (renewal)
-5/14: NCI Peds (renewal)
-5/17: NIDA CR (renewal); NIDDK Peds (new); NIA CR (renewal); NIA Health Disparities (new)
-5/17: NIAID Peds (renewal)
-5/25: NICHD Peds (renewal) NICHD CR (new)
Oh gosh now I'm feeling really nervous, I'm NCI (new) and didn't receive an email about funding sources even though I'd be between the NIMH and NIAAAA...what a anxiety-inducing process this is! Have any NCI folks on here received the funding source email?

Oh gosh now I'm feeling really nervous, I'm NCI (new) and didn't receive an email about funding sources even though I'd be between the NIMH and NIAAAA...what a anxiety-inducing process this is! Have any NCI folks on here received the funding source email?
Nope.

I'm NCI (new) as well and have not received the email.

I genuinely wouldn't take it as any kind of sign. A friend of mine got an email like that last week and it turned out it was because they needed to confirm that one of the grants she listed on her CV didn't violate the not-for-profit thing. I just got an email today because they changed their mind about accepting a loan doc I had provided and I had to upload a different one. I think they are just tying up loose ends right now and if you aren't getting these emails then your app is good to go!

Reactions: 2 users
I genuinely wouldn't take it as any kind of sign. A friend of mine got an email like that last week and it turned out it was because they needed to confirm that one of the grants she listed on her CV didn't violate the not-for-profit thing. I just got an email today because they changed their mind about accepting a loan doc I had provided and I had to upload a different one. I think they are just tying up loose ends right now and if you aren't getting these emails then your app is good to go!
I second this, don't stress yourself out, not everyone is going to get these emails. They only reach out if they have question regarding your application to make sure you're still fitting the criteria. If you'd like you can always call the LRP helpline to check in with them, they're very helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
On Twitter I've seen two people posting that they got emails confirming their renewal awards from NCATS (clinical)

On Twitter I've seen two people posting that they got emails confirming their renewal awards from NCATS (clinical)
Oh wow, how exciting!!! Maybe its too early to start keeping a running list, but I'm hoping they keep on rolling in across the next several weeks so here it is anyway;

Reward Decision notice 2020 cycle:
-07/01: NCATS CR (renewal)