NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw the news that PHEAA (FedLoan Seevicing) is no longer going to service federal loans. Is there anyone out there who has had servicers change right before, or during, the award period? If so, in your experience, is there anything those of us with loans handled by FedLoan Servicing should do or archive before the switch? This is worrying so close to the award announcements!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!! When did you hear? Any NHLBI renewals hear back yet?
Still waiting for any updates on my NHLBI renewal. Application status on portal just says "submitted" still. Have assumed at this point that I did not get funded this time ...

I saw the news that PHEAA (FedLoan Seevicing) is no longer going to service federal loans. Is there anyone out there who has had servicers change right before, or during, the award period? If so, in your experience, is there anything those of us with loans handled by FedLoan Servicing should do or archive before the switch? This is worrying so close to the award announcements!
save documentation of every single payment
Still waiting for any updates on my NHLBI renewal. Application status on portal just says "submitted" still. Have assumed at this point that I did not get funded this time ...
same wums07. I don't know anyone else with a NHLBI renewal. Would be good to know if someone has heard positive news

Members don't see this ad :)
save every single statement and every single bank account statement. Your bank can send you all of them in a batch if you just call going back farther than what is available to you online

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow, how exciting!!! Maybe its too early to start keeping a running list, but I'm hoping they keep on rolling in across the next several weeks so here it is anyway;

Reward Decision notice 2020 cycle:
-07/01: NCATS CR (renewal)
Randomly logged in and my status switched to funded!!!! No email yet. NIAAA CR (new). Also saw one on twitter for NIGMS CR today.

-07/18: NIGMS CR
-07/19: NIAAA CR (new)

Reactions: 5 users
Randomly logged in and my status switched to funded!!!! No email yet. NIAAA CR (new). Also saw one on twitter for NIGMS CR today.

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news!

Reactions: 1 users
My status also changed to funded for NIAAA CR-new! No email yet but woohoo!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Quick update- I got my email this morning so it looks like there is a ~48-hour delay from when the application portal is updated. I went ahead and logged in to my awardee portal after seeing my funding status change just to confirm. If anyone else wants to do that, it's your email address and your application # for the app as the password. Good luck everyone, I hope you all hear good news very soon!

NIDA clinical renewal switched to funded this morning, woot! First renewal and got two years!

Reactions: 5 users
Peds- NHLBI (new) changed to funded in the portal 7/27/21.

I refinanced/consolidated a few of my loans 5 years ago, which made the financial review pretty difficult. I didn't get everything approved until last week. Future applicants may want to start requesting documents at the time of application instead of waiting for selection. I ended up filing a CFPB complaint to get some of the documents from one of the servicers that kept giving me the run around. It seemed to help get the ball moving. Just adding this in case it's helpful to someone in the future.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. Quite a long (and emotionally taxing) process!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, you guys!!! How exciting! Here is a running list of all decisions thus far:

-07/27: NHLBI Peds (new)
-07/28: NIDA CR (renewal)

Peds- NHLBI (new) changed to funded in the portal 7/27/21.

I refinanced/consolidated a few of my loans 5 years ago, which made the financial review pretty difficult. I didn't get everything approved until last week. Future applicants may want to start requesting documents at the time of application instead of waiting for selection. I ended up filing a CFPB complaint to get some of the documents from one of the servicers that kept giving me the run around. It seemed to help get the ball moving.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. Quite a long (and emotionally taxing) process!
I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with that struggle in terms of your financial docs but it was so worthwhile! Congratulations on your funding!!!

Twitter is exploding with NHLBI funded apps today--looks they went out in one big batch. Also saw tweets for NINDS and NIAMS funding. Good luck to those waiting to hear!!

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like NHGRI decisions went out today (I can only speak to Peds Extramural though)

Did the application login portal just completely change for anyone else?

Yes but I can't see anything after logging in. (i.e. no application history or tracking, or anything really)
Yikes, this is happening to me too! It worked fine this morning, but now switched to ASSIST and i can't see my application status anymore. This is really throwing a wrench in my compulsive status checking.

Yes but I can't see anything after logging in. (i.e. no application history or tracking, or anything really)
Same for me, I can't find any history of my application. Somewhere in the past years of this thread a similar thing happened but I can't pull it up easily. I think the website ultimately went back to normal but I'll keep digging to see if I can find exactly what happened

Same for me, I can't find any history of my application. Somewhere in the past years of this thread a similar thing happened but I can't pull it up easily. I think the website ultimately went back to normal but I'll keep digging to see if I can find exactly what happened
Try this, it took me to that second screen and allowed me to log in:

oas.lrp.nih.gov/oasuser

Try this, it took me to that second screen and allowed me to log in:

oas.lrp.nih.gov/oasuser
They switched it back! LRP apparently mistakenly switched over too early. The regular portal should work again. Colleague at NIEHS just heard. Nothing for my app which is through NCI (peds, renewal).

NIA (health disparities, new) just changed to funded! It still said "selected" this morning so changes are happening! Look alive, people! ;-)

NIH-NIA renewal switched to funded - fingers crossed until I get the official email!

My NICHD application status just switched to FUNDED! Hooray! First time applicant, clinical research, extramural. Just waiting to get that official email now. Seems like the decisions are coming in hot today! Here is the current tally of announced results;

-07/29: NINDS and NIAMS (twitter)
-07/30: NHGRI Peds, NIEHS, NIA (new and renewal), NICHD CR (new)

• Love
My NICHD HD (mentored) new application switched to funded! I applied as a postdoc, but just accepted a TT position at a different institution. Does anybody know if i can change institutions ? does the change in institutions have implications for the lrp award?

My NICHD HD (mentored) new application switched to funded! I applied as a postdoc, but just accepted a TT position at a different institution. Does anybody know if i can change institutions ? does the change in institutions have implications for the lrp award?
You’ll be totally fine not a big deal as long as you’re still meeting the research time commitment!

Congrats on the TT position!! From what I've seen, changing institutions with the LRP should be pretty straightforward, but the only tricky part is if your research plan or topic greatly shifts. This might happen if your new position is in a different department with different resources (study sample, data collection) etc. I'm sure they'd be understanding though!

I just checked the portal and my NICHD Clinical Research Renewal (Extramural) Application status changed to funded!!! First renewal application. Good luck to all!

WOOOOOOOOO!
Just checked the site and my NICHD and my status (health disparities - new applicant) changed to funded!!!
I am crying.

-07/30: NHGRI Peds, NIEHS, NIA (new and renewal), NICHD CR (new), NICHD HD (new)

Got an email overnight that my first renewal Peds LRP through NICHD funded for two years!

-07/30: NHGRI Peds, NIEHS, NIA (new and renewal), NICHD CR (new), NICHD HD (new)
-08/1: NICHD Peds (renewal)

NIMH (new, clinical) application status just changed from selected to funded today!

• Love
NIMH clinical renewal- just switched to funded in the portal!! Oh, thank goodness!

this was my second renewal application. Last year I applied for my first renewal for NIMHD for health disparities, and didn’t get it. I switched to NIMH clinical track for the renewal and just got it!

Just checked this morning and mine switched to funded!
(NIMH, clinical research, first time submitting)

Got my email this morning!!! NIMH new clinical. Thank goodness!

NIDDK Peds (new) switched to Funded in the portal today OMG :soexcited: no e-mail yet

Status changed to funded this morning!! NCI, new, CR