• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

NIH LRP Change of Institution & Project

emotionpsychgrad

2+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2016
  1. Psychology Student
Wondered if anyone has any experience with making a change of institution and research project on an LRP.

At the moment, I am on an LRP award. I'm currently a postdoc and been offered a job at a non-profit research institute, working 100% of my time on a SAMHSA funded grant. I called to ask if this would not be a breach of contract, to which they replied that I needed to accept the job first to fill out the change of institution information.

I told them that I would not accept the position unless I know it would be OK, as I can't afford the $7500 penalty PER MONTH you are breaching the contract. They pushed back and said I needed to accept a new job before anything can be processed.....

Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? I am trying to understand what situations they would institute the massive fines, but am not getting any help. Does anyone know the situation in which the institute these policies? To date, I can only find people who just had their contracts closed out (which I would be fine with).

I would imagine people change institutions and research all the time--as this is often the nature of the business, but I really don't want to incur major fines.

Li34Ark

May 16, 2020
  1. Psychologist
Unfortunately, I don't have any hard information to provide you. However, I have gone through the terms and conditions very closely, and also read several forums online, and it seems to be that if you switch to work for a non-profit on a research project (especially one that is grant funded), they would not ask for payback. I'm guessing that's why they just suggested you accept and process it. However, I would be equally nervous as you and I would certainly not accept my response as any sort of evidence!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.