NIH post-bacc. program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in applying for the program at the NIH geard towards students who plan on going to medical/dental school. However, my GPA is only in the 3.0 range, so would I still have a realistic chance of being accepted into the program at the NIH?? By the way,does anybody know what the average GPA is of those applicants who are accepted?? And would enrolling into this program enhance my chances of being accepted into med school after completing one yr. of this program, and make up for my 3.0-3.2 range GPA??

Members don't see this ad.

HussainGQ said:
I am very interested in applying for the program at the NIH geard towards students who plan on going to medical/dental school. However, my GPA is only in the 3.0 range, so would I still have a realistic chance of being accepted into the program at the NIH?? By the way,does anybody know what the average GPA is of those applicants who are accepted?? And would enrolling into this program enhance my chances of being accepted into med school after completing one yr. of this program, and make up for my 3.0-3.2 range GPA??

I did the NIH post bac program. it is really a research and resume builder, they dont offer classes in that sense of a post bac program. it is quite competitive to get actually. most IRTA's (thats what they are called) have over 3.5. Some staff scientists who look for IRTA screen according to GPA but not all. I dont remember if a minimum GPA is required. If you spend 1 year there you will most likely not help your chances of getting into med school. and in fact, most IRTA are required to stay at least 2 years. You really cant do much in 1 year in a research setting. Again, this is a research driven program.

Besides that, I had a great time both socially and academically, DC rocks!

My advice is start looking at the labs there at the NIH and start contacting investigators and emailing them and just let them know your situation, it doesnt cost you anything really. I had a 3.76 GPA and still didnt get any responses til i started emailing the one person i really wanted to work with. Good luck. pm if you have more questions about the NIH.

If I do manage to get in to the NIH program, and stay in it for a year or two. Would that be enough to make up for my sub-par GPA? And while I am there, I could take a couple of classes at the local college or university in the evenings or something? Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
HussainGQ said:
If I do manage to get in to the NIH program, and stay in it for a year or two. Would that be enough to make up for my sub-par GPA? And while I am there, I could take a couple of classes at the local college or university in the evenings or something? Please let me know what you think.

yeah, i knew some friends that took some classes at GWU while they were in the NIH post bac.

i hate to admit it, but undergraduate gpa cannot be overlooked no matter what at some schools. but there are others that like other things. schools like rush or drexel love people who have been out of school for a few years. the DO schools are a great option too, since they are less hung on the "numbers" game.

i highly suggest you do 2 years at the NIH, it helps when you try to get letters from the big guys. the nih program is amazing. definitely worth it. try to go for NCI or NIMH. the most important thing is you get a mentor who is concerned with training you and getting you into medical school. some people want slaves there and wont lift a finger to help you. ask around when you interview with labs if the people there over extend themselves to help you with your career goals. good luck.

What are the NIMH and NCI programs?

HussainGQ said:
What are the NIMH and NCI programs?

nimh and nci are institutes at the nih. if you go to nih.gov, you can look up various institutes specializing in certain diseases/fields, and find research that interests you. im currently in a 1yr postbacc and nih offers classes to postdocs, postbaccs, and scientists at their graduate school. you can take anything from ochem to biotech classes to basket weaving. your institute often covers costs, adn the classes are worth credits/grades. but beware: your postbacc experience will often depend on luck, as every lab has a different enviro, every institute has different policies in terms of the nih classes, and every lab chief will respond differently to your grad plans. it's not worth doing as a resume booster, as the hrs are long and you must sincerely like research. but if you do and your interested in a certain area, you should apply, email the researchers youre interested in, and even if the situation ends up being less than ideal, youll learn a lot and enjoy dc. good luck,

hey,

i'm actually in my second year as an irta right now. instead of applying to the program directly, i contacted lab chiefs on my own. it was pretty laid back actually...i went for an interview in march and got the job offer in may. most lab chiefs are happy to have irta's in their lab...especially since it's an extra pair of helping hands that comes at no cost to the lab. the intramural program funds my 'stipend' directly so the lab doesn't have to pay a dime to keep me. the irta program is a great way to learn more about medical research, get your name on some publications, and you can even take evening classes with the FAES. i'm taking biochemistry and genomics right now...the classes only cost $250 and my lab is paying for them anyways.

the only con to the IRTA program is that it doesn't pay much. only about $21,000 which is not enough for anyone to live in bethesda/dc without a second job or help from your parents.

overall, i'd recommend the program for premeds or those who are interested in grad school. pm me if you want more info.