NIH: What/Whose Lab Did You Work In?

Started by Wolff313
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wolff313

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear All:
I have seen great threads about NIH's post bac IRTA, however, most have been from previous years. I am currently applying to the NIH and was wondering if past post backIRTA's could share the names of the laboratories or branches they worked in. As noted in other threads, I am taking the initiative to contact PI's however, I am having little success because NIH is SOOO BIG and apparently I am not contacting the labs that traditionally take post bac IRTA's. But ofcourse, I wouldn't know of these labs. So, please if you have participated in a post-bacc IRTA could you post your lab or branch. It would make narrowing the search for available positions a lot easier. Thanks!


-G.S.W.
 
Dear All:
I have seen great threads about NIH's post bac IRTA, however, most have been from previous years. I am currently applying to the NIH and was wondering if past post backIRTA's could share the names of the laboratories or branches they worked in. As noted in other threads, I am taking the initiative to contact PI's however, I am having little success because NIH is SOOO BIG and apparently I am not contacting the labs that traditionally take post bac IRTA's. But ofcourse, I wouldn't know of these labs. So, please if you have participated in a post-bacc IRTA could you post your lab or branch. It would make narrowing the search for available positions a lot easier. Thanks!


-G.S.W.

http://www1.od.nih.gov/oir/sourcebook/sci-prgms/sci-prgms-toc.htm

Click on the various institutes and search for faculty contact info. Create a generic e-mail and send it off to each of them (individual e-mails, of course), maybe varying a sentence or two to cater to their research area. I sent dozens of e-mails and got positive responses from a handful, that's the best way to go about this process. First you have to complete the application so they can look you up once you e-mail them, though. In case this is a factor for you, the NCI pays their post-bacs the most (near 30k) as opposed to the other institutes which pay around 26k.
 
I concur.

I work on a breast cancer protocol via the Clinical Center. Might be because of my M.S. that I get paid 31k+, but I definitely feel I got many interviews because I looked up EVERY lab that I might be interested in, looking in ALL the institutes. Don't get discouraged if it takes a couple months for things to precipitate. That's just how it goes. And, above all, when you talk to someone in the lab, show that you're enthusiastic and interested.

Funding is a bit low in the upcoming year, so might make it a bit more difficult than previous years.

Good luck!