NJ medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this post showed up earlier or not...but here's what I had said...

Are the NJ med schools very preferential toward NJ residents (which I am)? I have a 3.3 cum and 3.1 sci GPA's and 32 MCAT's. I come from Johns Hopkins (will that help explain the 2 C+'s I got in Organic Chem and lab, which I am retaking for an A?) I shadowed a family physician who is a UMDNJ grad, and volunteered extensively at a pediatric facility for terminally ill children. I also have other volunteer experiences, namely with refugees, and a bit of research experience...so I guess my question is...where do I have a shot, if anywhere? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know what their official policy is, but from my experience, the NJ schools definitely show a preference for NJ residents. and judging by your credentials, i think you have an great shot. good luck! rwj and njms are both awesome schools.

Hey, I might be in the same position as you. I'm a current freshman @ Hopkins (from NJ) and odds are I'm going to be a victim of the competition/deflation. A 3.3 from Hopkins is respectable. The 32 MCAT score is above average at both UMDNJs and that'll cover up for the GPA. You are a legacy too, right? And you seem like you have decent ECs to back you up. You'll have no problem getting in.

Before I get caught up in this mess, do you think I should transfer to Rutgers? It's not like I don't want to work for my grades... I JUST WANT TO GET PAID FOR MY WORK...grade-wise... you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't transfer to rutgers, if your only reason for doing so is that you'll get a higher gpa there. if you're happy otherwise at hopkins, stay. adcomms aren't dumb -- they all know hopkins, and they all know its reputation. they recognize which schools tend to have inflated grades, and which schools tend to produce premeds with lower gpas. don't stress about it!!!

Did you ever see MDApplicants.com... there's a Hopkins student with a 37 MCAT celebrating his acceptance (and only one) to Jefferson. His GPA was over 3.2...which is about average. Doesn't that say something? Not just for Johns Hopkins, but for all "top" schools in general. It's dumb to go to one of these private schools, pay more, earn a lower GPA, and reason your move by saying, " Well I had more opportunities here..". Nonsense. A 3.7 from Rutgers will ALWAYS be accepted over a 3.2-3.55 from Hopkins.

i wouldn't base your decision to transfer on the fact that one hopkins student with good numbers only had one acceptance. maybe he didn't do that much, outside of school? maybe he didn't interview well?
do you have any info on how well hopkins students do, in terms of acceptances, as compared to rutgers students? that might be important info to find.

but, in any case, you seem to have made up your mind, so good luck, have fun at rutgers, and i hope you do well down the line. but if i were you, i'd stay where you are.

I think you should be fine at the NJ schools. I have numbers kinda similar to yours and have/will be interviewing at the NJ schools. They got back to me pretty fast. The RWJ interview went really well. The first question the interviewer did ask me was about my grades (my frosh year sucked), but he said he was just asking about it to see if it was just a blip, cuz the rest of my grades are strong. I also went to a strong undergrad a la Hopkins, and that definitely definitely helps, they will take that into account. Plus they consider a 32 MCAT to be a very strong score, at least at RWJ. Feel free to PM me about this, I've been in your position, and I've been pleasantly surprised with school's responses.

I would just assume that you'll ace Rutgers. Rutgers New Brunswick, I have a couple of friends there, is strong. Camden and Newark, I don't know. I'm guessing probably not so strong.

And of the public schools, Rutgers has a good reputation. Well, at least Rutgers College does. I don't think a 3.2 Hopkins means a 3.7 at Rutgers. Maybe a 3.2 Hopkins vs. Podunk University. I went to strong undergraduate program and the lowest grade, Ivy school, was a B- in general chem. And I had friends at state schools, very bright guys, and they had some hard ass teachers.

I think adcoms look at your whole application, numbers count, MCAT, etc..

yeah, it'd suck if you transferred to rutgers and still had a 3.2, huh?

Originally posted by camisho
I don't know if this post showed up earlier or not...but here's what I had said...

Are the NJ med schools very preferential toward NJ residents (which I am)? I have a 3.3 cum and 3.1 sci GPA's and 32 MCAT's. I come from Johns Hopkins (will that help explain the 2 C+'s I got in Organic Chem and lab, which I am retaking for an A?) I shadowed a family physician who is a UMDNJ grad, and volunteered extensively at a pediatric facility for terminally ill children. I also have other volunteer experiences, namely with refugees, and a bit of research experience...so I guess my question is...where do I have a shot, if anywhere? Thanks guys!

From all I have read and heard from folks at both schools, they give a strong preference to NJ residents. I believe the first year class at NJMS is about 85% in-staters. However, they do like exceptionally-qualified out-of-staters, and as an incentive, they offer in-state tuition for all out-of-state matriculants. I agree with Lux, that your credentials should be OK at both schools, as your mcat will overcome the lower GPA.