NJ practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExperiencedDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with a relatively recent graduate. He said he had spoken with a doctor in NJ about a position. I believe the practice is not far from Philadelphia.

He told me the practice has a dozen or more doctors and a boatload of locations. He told me that most of the offices are small satellite offices with bare bones equipment and that the doctors in the practice had to travel to all different types of facilities. He said they do a lot of nursing homes, group homes, adult day care facilities, etc.

Apparently these locations cover a large geographic area and the practice owner wanted him to sign a non compete. He said they had so many places that signing a non compete would basically shut him out of most of the state.

He told me that some of the ״offices” were one room or some form of federal facility. He had asked the owner if he could sign a non compete for only the locations were he saw patients and that was denied. (You can’t keep someone from working within a geographic area for a facility you don’t own).

None of the offices he visited had x-rays or autoclaves (not sure how you have an office with no autoclave/sterilizer).

He went on and on, but never told me the name of the practice or the doctor who owned the practice.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a clue who this can be? He also told me that all provider also work on Saturday (I don’t know if it’s 1/2 or full day).

I know New Jersey is a pretty densely populated state for DPMs. Does this ring a bell or sound legit?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are 3 different NJ job postings on PM News today that all have some similarity to the above. Seems like that and APMA and what not would be good places to start since the person had to have heard about it from somewhere.

Attachments

• 1639275640279.png
    1639275640279.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 93
There are 3 different NJ job postings on PM News today that all have some similarity to the above. Seems like that and APMA and what not would be good places to start since the person had to have heard about it from somewhere.
Thanks It is not from a recent job listing. It was a word of mouth scenario and apparently was a few months ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please name and shame when you find out.

Please name and shame when you find out.
That wasn’t the intention, but I guess it’s possibly going to occur if someone knows the name of the provider and/or practice. Not sure how to know that’s the practice the young doctor was referring to, but I can try to reach out for accuracy.

If they are serious about the position, they should definitely have a lawyer go over that contract. Non-competes are tricky and it depends on the state if this is legal. It may not be held up in court due to undue hardship from locking them out of the entire state, but one would assume such a large group has lawyers that know how to work the system with the wording. One of my associates had to fight a non-compete from past employer and it was just a money drain through the lawyer negotiating and legal threats. Our state (Not NJ) is 50/50 with upholding non-competes.

If they are serious about the position, they should definitely have a lawyer go over that contract. Non-competes are tricky and it depends on the state if this is legal. It may not be held up in court due to undue hardship from locking them out of the entire state, but one would assume such a large group has lawyers that know how to work the system with the wording. One of my associates had to fight a non-compete from past employer and it was just a money drain through the lawyer negotiating and legal threats. Our state (Not NJ) is 50/50 with upholding non-competes.
Thanks. After seeing the practice and it’s one room satellites, offices with no sterilizers, running all over to multiple facilities and having to work every Saturday, he had zero interest in the position. Can you blame him?

Every 1/2 Saturday in south Jersey, sounds like Lawrence Levine, he says these new millennials don't want to put in the hard work and work Saturdays, his starting salary is notoriously low and he brags about how he started with nothing and now owns 30+ practices

He also gets offended if a Lawyer goes over the contract, his says you should just trust him and sign it without even reading it over, he's so successful he will make you successful too

Every 1/2 Saturday in south Jersey, sounds like Lawrence Levine, he says these new millennials don't want to put in the hard work and work Saturdays, his starting salary is notoriously low and he brags about how he started with nothing and now owns 30+ practices

He also gets offended if a Lawyer goes over the contract, his says you should just trust him and sign it without even reading it over, he's so successful he will make you successful too
I just looked on his site. That sounds as if it fits the bill. I will reach out and ask. My concept of a successful practice differs from this particular doctor’s idea of success.

When I see a website of 13-14 doctors and 29-30 locations, that’s not my idea of success. In my opinion, if you are running doctors to all those offices, you apparently don’t have any really busy offices.

Why would you want the overhead of all those offices and the inefficiency of having your doctors spending that much time in their cars (based on the locations all over the place).

That may be why the doctor I spoke with told me all the offices were bare bones with no x-ray, no sterilizers, minimal supplies, minimal office staff, etc.

He told me that a few of the offices he saw didn’t even look like a doctors office. The front desk was literally like a desk from Staples.

If you have 2 offices and 6,8, 10 doctors, then I’m impressed. That means your offices are always busy and not sitting dormant part of the week.

And I know I’m going to get some smack talk for this, but when I see that there are 13-14 doctors and only 5 are ABFAS certified and none are certified in RRA, it tells me about the practice and why the starting salary is allegedly so low.

I have no idea if the practice the doctor I know is referencing is the same as Junior Associate Laborer mentioned, but it sounds like it checks off all the boxes. But I will try to find out.

The name Junior AssocIate Laborer itself is funny but at the same time pretty sad.

I just spoke with the doctor who originally discussed the practice with me. You are correct and this is the practice he was referencing.

Larry Levine lectures a “practice management” course at TUSPM and is the biggest blowhard I’ve ever heard lecture. Bless the soul of anyone that has to work under that man.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Larry Levine lectures a “practice management” course at TUSPM and is the biggest blowhard I’ve ever heard lecture. Bless the soul of anyone that has to work under that man.

Not new. There are other docs similar to his style that came and lectured at my school. It's a shame they are invited year after year to come and speak and brainwash these poor souls. As many posters have said here before, you rather set up shop next to him than to slave away for him.

Reactions: 1 users
My experience when listening to most practice management lectures is that the lecturer is usually a legend in his/her mind and recommends archaic methods.

If it is true that most if not all his offices do not have an autoclave/sterilizer, I wouldn’t listen to another word that came out of his mouth.

I can possibly fathom having two offices in close proximity and running sterile instruments back and forth. That alone is a stretch, but if he has no or 1-2 sterilizers for all this locations, that’s simply disgusting.

Not sure how any assocIate could work in that environment IF it’s true.

My experience when listening to most practice management lectures is that the lecturer is usually a legend in his/her mind and recommends archaic methods.

If it is true that most if not all his offices do not have an autoclave/sterilizer, I wouldn’t listen to another word that came out of his mouth.

I can possibly fathom having two offices in close proximity and running sterile instruments back and forth. That alone is a stretch, but if he has no or 1-2 sterilizers for all this locations, that’s simply disgusting.

Not sure how any assocIate could work in that environment IF it’s true.
What is crazy is none of the associates needed fresh out? I assume looking at correct website.

What is crazy is none of the associates needed fresh out? I assume looking at correct website.
Maybe some landed there by default as a last ditch attempt for employment. And there is the old “Stockholm syndrome” theory !

Seriously, some people just find their groove and comfort zone. Not everyone is created to be a leader, there will always be the need for worker bees. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s simply a fact of life. These associates may be happy with their daily routines, collect a check and not have the responsibility of running a practice. What ever floats your boat.

Interesting that they have so many locations and providers and I don’t recognize any of the names. I guess that can be a bad thing or a good thing.

Does he only lecture at the Temple school or does he do other schools/lectures?

Last edited:
Lol, guy gives a $1 coin to ever student first day of class.

Maybe some landed there by default as a last ditch attempt for employment. And there is the old “Stockholm syndrome” theory !

Seriously, some people just find their groove and comfort zone. Not everyone is created to be a leader, there will always be the need for worker bees. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s simply a fact of life. These associates may be happy with their daily routines, collect a check and not have the responsibility of running a practice. What ever floats your boat.

Interesting that they have so many locations and providers and I don’t recognize any of the names. I guess that can be a bad thing or a good thing.

Does he only lecture at the Temple school or does he do other schools/lectures?
He teaches this course over 3 different days and it’s pass/fail so that means they know it’s a joke but they threaten to fail if students don’t show up.

I’ve been told the guy is a donor to Temple so they feel obligated to force students butts into chairs to appease the guy’s ego.

And yes, he gives everyone a Sacajawea dollar coin on one of the class days. I forgot what it was supposed to mean, but it was stupid. Maybe it’s symbolic for how he pays his associates.

Maybe it’s symbolic for how he pays his associates.
I was thinking he uses it as a charitable contribution instead of paying his associates a fair wage and paying taxes on that

• Wow