NJ residency after NOVA?

Started by roger2004
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

roger2004

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know where I could get reliable information on what type of residencies and where graduates of NOVA do their residencies? The school's info is 80% stay in state and 20% go elsewhere but I was hoping for something more specific. My understanding is even if you do extremely well during your four years, it is difficult to match with an out of state (out of Fla, that is) match because of the many residency agreements and consortiums between the various med schools and hospitals. Any enlightment on how all this works is appreciated. (I was also interested in the same info for PCOM if anyone has any details - thanks!)

------------------

rog
 
Hi Roger - -

I too have recently been accepted to NOVA and am interested in learning more about doing rotations in the New Jersey area. Have you had any luck in finding more information on this or residency matches outside of Florida?

Thanks for any help!
 
mmg,
I know from a NOVA-MS2 and my interview, that there are only 12 spots available for the 3rd year rotations in New Jersey. They are done through UMDNJ-SOM and their affiliate hospitals. In past years as well as this year, they've had about 25-30 students who apply for these rotations. The assignment of these rotations is done strictly by lottery - so it's just luck. Numerically speaking, you have a better chance of NOT getting these Jersey rotations, so be ready to spend that year in Florida. I am not quite sure how the 4th year rotation works. I think they are almost all elective and you have more choice in which state the rotation will be done. However, I'm not sure about this, other than I know there is a required Florida rural medicine rotation which must be done in the last year. I called NOVA's GME department to get some questions answered about the match placement results for last year, but didn't get a call back yet. Anyone else have anything to offer?

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 01-21-2000).]
 
Hi, I'm an M1 at Nova and I think in the fourth year you get 5 months of elective (of which 3 months must be spent in primary care fields) and one month surgical selective. I believe you can take these anywhere that will take you.