njms 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys i actually got the lender form online...its just a single sheet and i called finaid to figure out how they were different from each other and...theyre not different at all, just offered by different companies. so yeah anyways, if you go to the finaid website and click on loan information, the lender selection form can be found at the bottom of the page. hope this helps =)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the computer/pda requirements are for incoming students?

hey guys i actually got the lender form online...its just a single sheet and i called finaid to figure out how they were different from each other and...theyre not different at all, just offered by different companies. so yeah anyways, if you go to the finaid website and click on loan information, the lender selection form can be found at the bottom of the page. hope this helps =)

unless i'm ******ed (which is very possible) chase appears to have a slight advantage in that you may choose a particular repayment plan that will shave .25% off your interest for as long as you adhere to the stipulations.

That and the website makes it seem like you can borrow more on the stafford, 47k as opposed to 40.5k for the others, which I don't quite understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just curious as to what lender people are going with. Last year in my grad program I was given T.H.E. as a lender but then for undergrad, Sallie Me was queen. Any idea on whats the best for Med?

If someone could post on any differences they have found between the lenders it would be great...So far the major difference, to me at least, is the maximum you can take out (the rates all seem the same). In which case I think I am going to go with a company that will force me to live within my means..In other words, I was thinking of going with a company that has the lowest max amount..Unless, I'm missing something I think I am going to go with that logic...Right now I am at work so I haven't been able to get too deep into this yet, but I also noticed that if you decide to take a personal loan through Sallie Mae (which might be necessary if your money runs out) that you get 3 years after graduation to defer it (which might be something to think about), but with Chase it says you pay right after graduation..Again, if I am wrong about that feel free to correct me, but my PI gets so mad when I am reading about med school and not giving her data so I have minimized the window and I can barely see what I'm reading..lol

Last edited:
seems like everyone is in the same boat as me. There all offering the same things without any major glaring differences outside of total amount. Am I missing something?

If someone could post on any differences they have found between the lenders it would be great...So far the major difference, to me at least, is the maximum you can take out (the rates all seem the same). In which case I think I am going to go with a company that will force me to live within my means..In other words, I was thinking of going with a company that has the lowest max amount..Unless, I'm missing something I think I am going to go with that logic...Right now I am at work so I haven't been able to get too deep into this yet, but I also noticed that if you decide to take a personal loan through Sallie Mae (which might be necessary if your money runs out) that you get 3 years after graduation to defer it (which might be something to think about), but with Chase it says you pay right after graduation..Again, if I am wrong about that feel free to correct me, but my PI gets so mad when I am reading about med school and not giving her data so I have minimized the window and I can barely see what I'm reading..lol

i can't find where it says that bud can you link it? are you sure you're not looking at the terms of service for the regular, non-medical-student, loans?

i can't find where it says that bud can you link it? are you sure you're not looking at the terms of service for the regular, non-medical-student, loans?

Here is the link: http://www.chasestudentloans.com/private-student-loan/private-student-loans.html

For chase private student loans it says the following:
Private Student Loan Benefits:

More specifically it then says:

Repayment of principal and interest then begins within 180 days after graduation, withdrawal from school, or enrollment dropping below half-time.

Sooo basically 3 years for Sallie Mae and 6 months for Chase...Again, this is for a private student loan..I found it funny that it has "repay after graduation" listed as a benefit..lol

Last edited:
Here is the link: http://www.chasestudentloans.com/private-student-loan/private-student-loans.html

For chase private student loans it says the following:
Private Student Loan Benefits:

More specifically it then says:

Repayment of principal and interest then begins within 180 days after graduation, withdrawal from school, or enrollment dropping below half-time.

Sooo basically 3 years for Sallie Mae and 6 months for Chase...Again, this is for a private student loan..I found it funny that it has "repay after graduation" listed as a benefit..lol

Now I'm confused I thought we wanted these loans here:

http://www.chasestudentloans.com/medical/index.htm

stafford and grad PLUS

think those other loans are of the outside variety

I went with Chase. My deciding factors were:

1) Chase services their own loans (which is important, my sister had AES as a servicer, and they were TERRIBLE)

2) They have no default charge. Whereas AccessGroup charges 0-1% depending on the guarantor which isn't decided until after you've signed with them.

Other than that, everything was roughly the same.

On a completely different note. Who's going to the Baseball game?

Now I'm confused I thought we wanted these loans here:

http://www.chasestudentloans.com/medical/index.htm

stafford and grad PLUS

Yeah, the link you posted is the right one...but I was talking about if we for some reason used up all of the fed student loan money and we had to take out a private loan...at that point you would most likely want to stick with the company that you originally started with so you could consolidate the $..so I was looking at the options that they would give you at that point

Last edited:
CHASE wants you to start paying right after medschool with a resident salary?
I though that you could defer the payments until done with residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just spoke to the office, you can get the form by going online to the UMDNJ FinAid website and checking off an option. The office cannot legally advise us on which of the options to take- but the lady told me that JUST today they found out that Total Higher Education might not be honoring their loans...so she advised me NOT to pick that one. As I am not a dentist, can't do Sally Mae Dental, and Sally Mae General doesn't apply to MD's. So, that narrows the choices a bit. I went w/ Sally Mae.

I should note that she provided an estimate (...as of Feb no one in the office knew what tuition would be set at so they couldn't give me an estimate) of what I would be getting after UMDNJ takes out tuition (which went up 9%!!!! this year) and First Time Fees and such, and also Student Health Insurance...This left me with a bit north of 5K. Now, I calculated what housing would cost me (I am in 180 W. Market..in a sweet 3 bedroom...on the sweet 13th floor) and that came to North of 4K for the Fall. This left me with about a grand to feed myself. Wait, I thought, what about books?

Oh yeah, books cost tons of money. So. I am not eating for five months, but I will know anatomy. That 5k becomes 8k in the fall...which leaves breathing and eating room.

Also- the student health insurance is about 1,900 (I am told) and if you have your own private insurance you can waive that and put it into your pocket or the pocket of the insurers.

-Hope this helps-

CHASE wants you to start paying right after medschool with a resident salary?
I though that you could defer the payments until done with residency.

I was posting about private loans--in other words if we used up our money and were in a situation where we wanted to remain with the same lender, but take out more money. However, I can't find any info from Chase stating their grace periods or deferment periods....I think I'm going with Sallie Mae..

Thanks for the post sir vertigo..All that info comes in handy for me calculating my purchases...Plus, I wasn't aware tuition was going up that much!!

Last edited:
I was posting about private loans--in other words if we used up our money and were in a situation where we wanted to remain with the same lender, but take out more money. However, I can't find any info from Chase stating their grace periods or deferment periods....I think I'm going with Sallie Mae..

Thanks for the post sir vertigo..All that info comes in handy for me calculating my purchases...Plus, I wasn't aware tuition was going up that much!!

hey i think "grad PLUS" is the type of loan we take when we need more than what stafford offers.

edit: but yeah i can't find any info on the grace or deferment either. which is weird.

hey i think "grad PLUS" is the type of loan we take when we need more than what stafford offers.

edit: but yeah i can't find any info on the grace or deferment either. which is weird.

oh, gotcha...yeah it is very weird..the only thing they say here and there for their loans is that you don't have to pay while you're in school ..which leads me to believe they aren't too proud about how long they give for deferment..

this sites pretty good...thanks for sharing pleasebelieveit :oops:)

would anyone happen to know where the path takes you on 33rd? ...like 33rd and what ave?

PATH drops you off on 6th Ave and the Avenue of the Americas

After reading the information about the different lenders, I'm under the impression that all of them require you to pay back loans 6 months - 1 year after graduation (while still in residency). I was under the impression that loans could be deferred during residency. Was this an incorrect assumption or was I misreading the information on the lenders' websites? :confused:

I called the FINAID office the other day. They say that all lenders allow you to apply for hardship deferral and other programs to avoid payments during residency training. Still, I did not find any official documents on the web related to the issue.

anyone else get a strange letter from the financial aid office with a smaller financial aid award than the first one offered?

ugh guess I gotta call someone.

I called the FINAID office the other day. They say that all lenders allow you to apply for hardship deferral and other programs to avoid payments during residency training. Still, I did not find any official documents on the web related to the issue.

Yeah, I got the same response from the financial aid office but I couldn't find a single line of text that said so on the websites. I'm going to call the borrowers tomorrow and then figure it out.

A related question: if you already have loans from a private lender (non-stafford loans), should you go back to the same lender for more private loans? I remember reading that one should as to be able to consolidate his or her loans.

can anyone from last year that lived in 180 w market comment on how much modification (i guess more decoration) is allowed to the rooms. i know that they say you cant use nails/screws/etc or paint, but is that enforced?

Yeah, I got the same response from the financial aid office but I couldn't find a single line of text that said so on the websites. I'm going to call the borrowers tomorrow and then figure it out.

A related question: if you already have loans from a private lender (non-stafford loans), should you go back to the same lender for more private loans? I remember reading that one should as to be able to consolidate his or her loans.

I am in the same boat with the private lender thing. It really depends on what type of loan you received and the terms/conditions of it. That will greatly determine whether you can consolidate later or not (if you choose a different lender). Generally speaking, you want to try and stay with the same lender. Unfortunately, I have no say so in the matter because my previous lender is being bailed out by the Feds...so Sallie Mae it is! :rolleyes:

i'm going with sallie mae...they seem a bit more stable

so who's going to the baseball game or the SHARE painting thing???

i'm going with sallie mae...they seem a bit more stable

so who's going to the baseball game or the SHARE painting thing???

Yeah, I went with sallie mae too...I'm def going to the baseball game and the SHARE painting event..I don't think I'm going to the dinner after the white coat ceremony though because a lot of my are coming and I feel bad making them all pay $40 for the dinner...

Hey everybody,

I hope you guys have been enjoying the LAST summer vacation of your LIFE! (assuming you'll do research during the summer vacations for the next two years)

I've been enjoying every minute of it, and I convinced myself that I would stay away from SDN. But seeing as how there is a little more than a week remaining till the move-in date, I figured I'd see what everyone was up to.

First things first, I signed up for Sallie Mae. The amount of loans I'll get is about 5-6 grand less than I requested. That isn't a big deal, because I convinced my parents to bail me out if needed. But I don't think that I would have needed all 50k anyway.

I was assigned a single bedroom on the sixth floor. At first, they gave me a studio, but then called me and asked if I still wanted a one-bedroom. Anyone else fortunate enough to get their own room?

I recently bought a new laptop that I'll use as my primary computer (desktop replacement). I got a really good deal, and that deal is still available. If you order a customized HP laptop worth $1400, there is a $500 off coupon, so you'd get a great laptop for a great price. Obviously, you don't need a $1400 laptop if you just type up word documents and surf the internet. But if anyone else is a computer nerd like me, send me a msg if you want the coupon code. (Hurry, the deal won't last long.)

Which events are you guys going to attend? I'm thinking about the painting thing, and mostly everything else except the baseball/softball stuff.

And finally, have you guys made a list of all the items you're going to bring? I'm too lazy to make my own list; I figure if I need anything, I'll buy it as I go along.

Edit: One more thing - do you guys know anything about how the tuiton payment will work? It says to pay by August 1 on the term bill, but that's the day we have to sign the Master Promisory Note. We'll get the money on Aug 1?

Last edited:
One more thing - do you guys know anything about how the tuiton payment will work? It says to pay by August 1 on the term bill, but that's the day we have to sign the Master Promisory Note. We'll get the money on Aug 1?

the financial aid office will automatically credit your tuition account with your financial aid money....anything left over will be given to you as refund.

did anyone get a term bill in the mail? when is tuition due and rent if you're living in 180? also what is the master promisory note? i think i'm missing some information because of confusion with my mailing address. does this thing have to be signed the 1st because i'm not moving in until a few days later.

did anyone get a term bill in the mail? when is tuition due and rent if you're living in 180? also what is the master promisory note? i think i'm missing some information because of confusion with my mailing address. does this thing have to be signed the 1st because i'm not moving in until a few days later.

i got a term bill in the mail a few weeks ago. the cost of tuition, fees, insurance, etc. minus half your loans (if they don't cover the bill) is due august 11th and they need to receive the first month's rent for 180 by august 1st.

you don't need to worry about the master promissory note until orientation.

hope that helps.

What happens after we send in our lender form? I haven't heard anything back from the financial aid office. Is the next step filling the master promissory form?

the financial aid office will automatically credit your tuition account with your financial aid money....anything left over will be given to you as refund.

Thanks. Do you know when they will automatically credit the account? Will they do it before August 1? I don't want to be stuck with any late fees.

Does anyone know if we are receiving our "leftover money" before August 1? I read in a post that 180 needs the first month's rent by then..This is pretty much the same question as Mundane's...I did look online today at the status of my loan via Sallie Mae's website and it says that the money will be disbursed 7/29/08... I would think this means that the money should be available by Aug 1...not sure though..

Last edited:
I did look online today at the status of my loan via Sallie Mae's website and it says that the money will be disbursed 7/29/08

How do check your status? Like monu, I submitted the lender selection form, and never heard anything after.

one of the websites said we have until the 10th of the month to pay rent. i called 180 yesterday and they said if anyone else is moving in after move in day to let them know in advance.

one of the websites said we have until the 10th of the month to pay rent.

Underpressure, could you provide a link where you saw that? I was under the impression that it was due the 1st. Thanks

How do check your status? Like monu, I submitted the lender selection form, and never heard anything after.

if you chose sallie mae as your lender, the website to check your loan status is http://www.salliemae.com/get_student_loan/apply_student_loan/checking_status/

i signed my promissory note online after i called and talked to one of the ladies in the financial aid office, i think you can get to where you do that from the status check page. you have to create a user id to check the loan status. i also received a letter from sallie mae dated from the day before i signed the MPN asking me to please go online and do it, so i'm not sure why they didnt send everone else letters too. this whole process was super confusing, i hate student loan debt already :confused:

just to give you an update. a week after I sent in my lender form, i received a master promissory form from the lender i had selected. I just sent that in today, so hopefully, i'm on track.

Cool, thanks for your help guys. I called the financial aid office about it and sorted everything out.

Two more days till the move-in date, and I haven't even made a list of what I'm bringing with me. :p

I figure I'll just wing it and buy stuff as I go along. Who's with me? :cool:

hahaha im currently in the process of packing and let me tell you...its soo not fun =/
luckily my mom is packing all my non-clothing stuff for me...i might be going to med school but im still my mommy's little girl =P

Too bad I just started packing my entire apartment today! I am the biggest procrastinator (outside of academics) and it is biting me in the butt right now! This is going to be a loooonnnngggg day. Good luck with moving everyone and see ya soon!

How does everyone (who moved in) like their apartment?

Mine is right next to the outdoor terrace, so I gotta keep my blinds shut for most of the day...:( Other than that, everything is great.

Anyone manage to get their phone and internet working? My phone has no dial tone, and the internet won't work. Do we have to activate it the same way as the PSEG electricity?

I'm home for the weekend because all the channels on TV suck, and because I don't have an ID (office was closed by the time I got there), so I can't even ride in the elevator or park in the deck. Bah. :thumbdown: