njms 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my parents loved everything including 180

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you guys...can we name 180 West Market???? I really cant get over constantly having to write the whole thing out. :D I mean I live in a builiding called University Square....which can be easily dumbed down to u-sq. So...anyone of you have some cool suggestions???

everyone calls it 180..so thats short enough..hope that helps

Hey you guys...can we name 180 West Market???? I really cant get over constantly having to write the whole thing out. :D I mean I live in a builiding called University Square....which can be easily dumbed down to u-sq. So...anyone of you have some cool suggestions???

Most people already at NJMS just call it "the dorm". Cool enough? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I'm a current 1st year, and now that our horrible exam week is over I have 5 minutes to rub together and can address your question. I was in the exact situation that you were in last year (no insurance before school started). I didn't get my 3rd hep-b shot nor the titers done until after school started. They will send you annoying "you are non-compliant" letters, but as long as you are going to student health, its all good. Just ignore them (but don't ignore taking care of getting it done).

They don't pay for it, and its not covered under student insurance (the reasoning they gave me was that although it is required for attendance, its not a "medical necessity"). However, it was *much* cheaper than having it done at my doctor's office. Come to think of it, I can't remember if they ever sent me a bill for it in the end, but if they did it couldn't have been that outrageous because I don't remember it!

So don't stress. Just communicate with student health, and they'll hook you up!

Thanks for the info. Did you finally have it done at NJMS?

for those of you whose parents werent too fond of 180, any consideration of living in society hill? http://forsalebyowner.com/20856601 thats what they generally look like and there are going to be a bunch of vacancies real soon. let me know because i just emailed a bunch of people who posted listings (including a 3rd year med student who RAVED about it).

I am not sure I want to live in 180 next year (if any guys are looking to live in society hill let me know, i think id prefer to live there in either 2 or 3 bdrm). But, I am under the impression that I should still fill out the housing form in case society hill doesnt work out. Does anyone have info on this? Is filling out the form binding in any way?

I am not sure I want to live in 180 next year (if any guys are looking to live in society hill let me know, i think id prefer to live there in either 2 or 3 bdrm). But, I am under the impression that I should still fill out the housing form in case society hill doesnt work out. Does anyone have info on this? Is filling out the form binding in any way?

Justtemp, I second that question. I am in the same boat... I don't want to spend so much money to live in the dorms, plus the last time I lived in dorms was 4 years ago! At the same time, I like the convenience of a furnished place and I don't want to live off campus if that means missing out on social activities/networking opportunities (do most people will live on campus?) decisions, decisions!

Justtemp, I second that question. I am in the same boat... I don't want to spend so much money to live in the dorms, plus the last time I lived in dorms was 4 years ago! At the same time, I like the convenience of a furnished place and I don't want to live off campus if that means missing out on social activities/networking opportunities (do most people will live on campus?) decisions, decisions!

justtemp: I dont think it is binding if you apply to live @ 180. I do believe there is a $150 non-refundable Housing app fee that you need to send along with the application forms. I mean I am sure they can't make you stay. They may also charge you some more if you decide to pull out AFTER you have been assigned a room.

pezjez: I totally understand what you mean about 180 being mucho expensivo! However, what swayed me when I wanted to decide between S. Hill and the dorms was the whole safety issue. I mean I am sure it is not that bad but I just know that it is a whole lot safer. As for networking or the whole social activities aspect, well S. Hill is pretty close to the dorms so you should be able to make friends and visit whenever you want.

:)

Hey guys,
Like i said, I was definitely interested in living in society hill. I just emailed 4 people about vacancies, so let me know if your interested. my email is [email protected]

mark

My parents thought 180 looked nice, but I informed them of my reservations about it. Overall, they were very impressed with NJMS as a whole (which makes me really happy).

Blah I am so ready for this semester to be over and done with. I want summer to come! Hope everyone else is doing well!

i agree wheres the warm weather? =( what are you guys all doing this summer? i was thinking about waitressing... after med school starts when will i ever get that change again? =P

btw...are you guys still interested in meeting up? i dont mind planning it since i dont do much with my life except go to class, i think ive even given up on studying lol. ok let me know if youre all still interested....

Hey guys,
Like i said, I was definitely interested in living in society hill. I just emailed 4 people about vacancies, so let me know if your interested. my email is [email protected]

mark

Thanks for the information Mark!

I noticed your post earlier as well. However I think I'm going to wait for the "housing day" in early June before I make any commitments. Since I'm on the fence about on or off campus, I think I could easily be persuaded either way.

i agree wheres the warm weather? =( what are you guys all doing this summer? i was thinking about waitressing... after med school starts when will i ever get that change again? =P

btw...are you guys still interested in meeting up? i dont mind planning it since i dont do much with my life except go to class, i think ive even given up on studying lol. ok let me know if youre all still interested....

I'm definitely interested in meeting up. Thanks so much for offering! I can also help you organize, scrubs, especially if people are interested in meeting up somewhere in New York, since I currently live and work here. When do people want to meet up? After finals I presume (remind me when this semester is supposed to end?) So looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely interested in meeting up. Thanks so much for offering! I can also help you organize, scrubs, especially if people are interested in meeting up somewhere in New York, since I currently live and work here. When do people want to meet up? After finals I presume (remind me when this semester is supposed to end?) So looking forward to meeting everyone!!

NYC sounds good. I am available after May 10th. I can't wait to meet you all!

how about sometime between may 10-22? i'm going home for summer and it'd be great to meet people sometime between finals and graduation

how about sometime between may 10-22? i'm going home for summer and it'd be great to meet people sometime between finals and graduation

That should work for me. However, I need to know the exact date ahead of time because during that time period there are lots of random things that tend to come up. I am sure most of us can relate.

How about Saturday, May 17? Does that work for most people? Or would a week day be better?

i waitressed last summer and it was a lot of fun but this year i'm leaning towards a combination of sitting on the beach and sitting on my couch i figure come august i'll have plenty of work to do so i might as well enjoy the break while i can

hey future njms classmates! first, i am really excited to be joining you next year in newark.

also, i was wondering if anyone knew about the general atmosphere for gay students on campus (probably a better question for current students). i have recently "come out" (i hate that term by the way) to my close friends and would somewhat like to live "out" at njms but i wanted to know what people have heard about that.

also- im a little worried about this being a slight issue housing-wise. so if there are any guys going to njms that would be cool living with a gay guy (very straight acting, big sports nut, not really into fashion, etc) the definitely message me

hey future njms classmates! first, i am really excited to be joining you next year in newark.

also, i was wondering if anyone knew about the general atmosphere for gay students on campus (probably a better question for current students). i have recently "come out" (i hate that term by the way) to my close friends and would somewhat like to live "out" at njms but i wanted to know what people have heard about that.

also- im a little worried about this being a slight issue housing-wise. so if there are any guys going to njms that would be cool living with a gay guy (very straight acting, big sports nut, not really into fashion, etc) the definitely message me

I don't think it would be a problem. There are several openly gay students in the community...in general, I think people are very accepting. As a future doctor, it is best to be tolerant of all kinds of people, and in the Physician's Core class, we are constantly learning about and practicing how to be more ethical, humanistic, culturally competent, etc. In fact, last year, we had a panel discussion in Physician's Core I that covered how various groups of people are treated in the healthcare world. One panel member was a second year, gay student who talked about his experiences.

May 17th works for me.. the day after i graduate!!!

futurenjms- I dont have an answer for you because i'm not a current student, but I can tell you this... ive shadowed students at njms many times this year and last year... the students there are all so diverse (ethnically, geographically, diverse in interests) and they all seem so accepting of each other... I feel like njms students arent the type to judge someone because they are different...

futurenjms i know of some current students at njms that are openly gay, and i don't think you should be too worried about it.

Anyone have any suggestions about where we can meet?

well does the daytime or night time work better for ppl on saturday? if nighttime we could all just meet up at a bar but if you guys think the daytime would be best maybe we could all go to a restaurant and grab lunch or something? i know personally i think id rather meet during the day only because im a small (very small) girl and if we're meeting in the city i would prefer not coming and going by myself. OR we could meet at a bar in jersey and then it probably wont be a problem because we can just drive? i duno what do you guys think?

It depends on what kind of meeting we are interested in... I know this great Chinese restaurant on the Upper West Side. It's relatively cheap and it serves free wine!! It's a fun atmosphere and it's close to a lot of other bars if people are interested in hanging out longer afterwards. The only downside is they don't take reservations, so we'd just have to wait till all of our crew is there to be seated (this is fine though, I've gone with a large group and they will serve you wine while you wait). Here is some info on the place http://menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=1821&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

This is just a suggestion. I'm totally open-minded and flexible with other people's ideas/preferences/needs.

May 17th or whatever date that gets picked in that vicinity is fine with me. Is there a consensus to meet in NYC? I am down for anything, nyc, ac, philly,
we should figure out what/where the best place to meet? If we do an early dinner/late lunch, then those who want to (such as myself) continue the festivities at a bar or lounge can do so?

Hmmm, how many people are we talking about here? Let's try to get a head count, because if there are more than about 15-20, we may have a hard time getting a table at most places in NYC, in which case we may just have to meet at a bar or something. Should we create some kind of an invite and share info on facebook as well?

BTW, is everyone ok with a NYC meet up, or are there any bids on a different location?

Hey guys i see there is some discussion about meeting up, sounds great! I'm just bumming on a grant at the moment so I'm very flexible schedule wise, whatever and whenever should be fine with me. I'll let you guys decide, I'm much more familiar with philly but I'm willing to do anything really, hope to meet you guys soon!

mmmm i love chinese... and free wine :)

im in for whatever you guys choose

May 17th or whatever date that gets picked in that vicinity is fine with me. Is there a consensus to meet in NYC? I am down for anything, nyc, ac, philly,
we should figure out what/where the best place to meet? If we do an early dinner/late lunch, then those who want to (such as myself) continue the festivities at a bar or lounge can do so?

i second that ... continuing the festivites...

and yes, facebook would prob work better for invite and headcount purposes

Hey I'm in too for the 17th. Good timing, it's the weekend before I head down to Newark for the summer.

YAAAAY!!! Seems like most people are ok with the 17th. I am also ok with meeting up in NYC. I think someone else made this suggestion but its worth repeating. I think the best bet is to meet up sometime in the late afternoon for a late lunch/early dinner type of thing. I would say maybe at around 4pm or 5pm. That way, anyone who is concerned about traveling back home on their own (for the all the Jersey people esp.) can pretty much start heading back by 7pm or 8pm. The rest of us can then decide to carry the party some place else (i.e. a bar). I think this arrangement also benefits the people who have to work till 5pm or have other engagements because they have the choice of either meeting us for "dinnunch" or meeting us at a bar.

Also, I have yet to look into this but I think it would be wise if we find a restaurant within walking distance from whatever lounge/bar/club we plan on going to. Also, it may help to consider how easy it is to find if one gets of at 34th street (taking the NJ Transit) or at 33rd st or World Trade Center (using the PATH). This might save a lot of trouble for people like me who are pretty much directionally challenged. :0)

I am muy excited now.

is there any chance we can move the date? I said I was flexible and I really am but you guys somehow picked the only date that I can't go, lol. I'm going to a beerfestival with my family in D.C. on that exact date so I wouldn't be able to make it :(. A different day would be better but if so many are ok with the 17th then you can just go ahead and I'll have to save meeting you guys for another day or orientation.

Wow, I go away for a few days and page 7 is almost completed..Count me in for food and wine!!

Other dates work for me... basically im free all summer haha

the 17th sucks for me to because my birthday is that monday so i'll probably be out with a bunch of friends and won't have a chance to mingle as much. i can do pretty much most other days/weekends.

btw, anyone else going to do the F.I.R.S.T. program at NJMS in june?

the 17th sucks for me to because my birthday is that monday so i'll probably be out with a bunch of friends and won't have a chance to mingle as much. i can do pretty much most other days/weekends.

btw, anyone else going to do the F.I.R.S.T. program at NJMS in june?

I am. We're staying at U-Square apartments. (Thats where I stay now so its ooooh so convenient...:)

Wow I've been away for about a month and the pages seem to be flying by now. Haha way to much to read, I'll save that for medical school. Any information about meeting up and such yet?

hmm ok so may 17th seems like a bad day since some of you cant make it, how about the day before...friday may 16th? i know some ppl said between the 10th-17th but i know the rutgers ppl have finals until the 14th although i personally dont mind doing it the week before on saturday may 10th... what do you guys think? btw i never responded but chinese/wine and then a bar after sounds like an awesome idea

i prefer the 16th or 17th before then is finals so its not really a good week

anybody else get their housing info in the mail?

rm 918 in 180.
look for a party there come orientation week :p

hmm ok so may 17th seems like a bad day since some of you cant make it, how about the day before...friday may 16th? i know some ppl said between the 10th-17th but i know the rutgers ppl have finals until the 14th although i personally dont mind doing it the week before on saturday may 10th... what do you guys think? btw i never responded but chinese/wine and then a bar after sounds like an awesome idea

gotta love being done on the 8th...hah sorry for rubbin it in, but yea im down for wutevr

my last final is may 1st :)

graduation is may 16th. So anytime other than that works for me...

and i'm all for the chinese wine place, im obsessed with chinese food!!!

we probably wont find a date thats good for everyone so someone should just pick one and whenever it is i'm all for post food binge drinking

yeah I got my housing info, harlemnite did you get a roommate?

I got one roommate at 180 and its actually someone in this thread i think (seeing as they're in the facebook group), haha.