NJMS Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iferg17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the class schedule for first year students at NJMS? Is it pretty set or does it chagne every time a block changes? And most importantly how do preceptorships work? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

iferg17 said:
What is the class schedule for first year students at NJMS? Is it pretty set or does it chagne every time a block changes? And most importantly how do preceptorships work? Thanks.

http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/registrar/index.cfm

click under "block schedule" and you get an idea of the class schedule

Preceptorships work in the following way:
- There are 3 days designated for preceptorship (M,R 9-12pm and T 2-5)

- At the beginning of the year, you will rank the 200+ doctors based on who you want to work with. Then you will randomly get assigned a lottery number and then if its your turn, you can match up with your first choice or lower depending on if its available. You won't be told about your position though. If you can find a doctor that is not on the list willing to take you on, then you don't need to worry about ranking

- Every week that you are scheduled, you will go to the preceptor and follow him/her around for that time (some will let you practice while some will just have you follow). You will wear your white coat and name tag to the preceptorship for this

Thanks for the info. My only other question relates to commuting. I am probably only going to drive when I have my preceptorship. Is there a station for the Newark City Subway within safe walking distance. (I am a pretty big guy so I am not that afraid of getting assaulted.)

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry gotta bump

iferg17 said:
Thanks for the info. My only other question relates to commuting. I am probably only going to drive when I have my preceptorship. Is there a station for the Newark City Subway within safe walking distance. (I am a pretty big guy so I am not that afraid of getting assaulted.)

A subway station close to the school you mean? There's one close to the NJIT campus so you'll still have to walk a little. I'm planning to take the subway too quite a bit and I hope it's not too dangerous during off hours.