This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinomite00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to multiple schools, and have narrowed down my choices to these three. I am having a very hard time deciding between them and would love to get some input from anyone who has some insight into these institutions.

I am not 100% sure what I would like to specialize in, but I know for a fact I want to specialize (i.e. not primary care) and would like to keep the option open to match into a competitive residency.

NJMS:

Pros -
- Close to home
- Established friend/support group at the school
- COA is the cheapest due to being in-state (~80k less over 4 years)
- Close to NYC
- Great clinical experience

Cons -
- Newark isn't the best area to live
- I would be stuck in the same general area I have always been in (little to no change)
- Prestige/reputation is the lowest out of the three
- Known more for clinicals rather than research (just from personal experience/word of mouth)

Dartmouth:

Pros -
- Layperson prestige, as well as a solid reputation in the medical community
- DHMC is a beautiful hospital with attendings who love to teach (word of mouth)
- Opportunities to do away rotations at UCSF
- Small class size = individualized attention
- Match list is very solid
- Many research opportunities
- Many opportunities to do rotations abroad

Cons -
- Cold weather
- Far from home
- Not many things to do that don't involve the outdoors (hiking, running, skiing, etc.)
- Average age of class is rather high (whereas I am quite young)
- COA is 80k/year with no merit scholarships given
- Very small town and rather secluded

UVA:

Pros -
- Charlottesville is a great college town
- Warmer weather
- Reputation/Prestige is the best out of the three
- Seems to care a lot about student happiness and wellness
- 1.5 yr condensed pre-clinical curriculum (more time for rotations and will be able to complete all the required ones, as well as some electives, before applying for residency)
- Potential for merit scholarship
- Many research opportunities and a huge hospital system
- Refugee population could mean rare diseases (and a chance to help them in general)
- Close to DC, where I have many friends

Cons -
- Far from home
- COA is 80k/yr
- Required to do rotations outside of Charlottesville
- Morning classes (not a morning person)
- Tougher pre-clinical years due to being condensed

Thank you in advance for you advice!

Members don't see this ad.

From what you described, I think you should go to NJMS or UVA. I was accepted at UVA and I love everything about the school minus the fact that rotations can get tricky (far away).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it! I've just never had to go away from near home yet so I am a little apprehensive and nervous about making the big change

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you received aid packages yet? UVA does give out a fair amount in need based aid if your parents don't make a ton of money, which may help with the COA thing.

Also, I don't necessarily think the preclinical curriculum is 'tougher' due to being condensed--I think it's just less repetitious.

Have you received aid packages yet? UVA does give out a fair amount in need based aid if your parents don't make a ton of money, which may help with the COA thing.

Also, I don't necessarily think the preclinical curriculum is 'tougher' due to being condensed--I think it's just less repetitious.

That makes sense, and plus it means I get to do more rotations before applying for residency which is a huge plus in my eyes!

As for financial aid, I have heard back from both NJMS and UVA and did not receive anything besides loans unfortunately :/

Depends a little on your interests as well - NJMS is really solid for clinical as you said (are you considering primary care?). UVA's environment is far better in terms of weather/college town feel and possible research opportunities. Overall, I would probably go for UVA unless it is significantly more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna throw in my two cents and say NJMS– do not underestimate this importance of having a support system during medical school. Plus, COA there is significantly less for you.

Gonna throw in my two cents and say NJMS– do not underestimate this importance of having a support system during medical school. Plus, COA there is significantly less for you.

Yeah honestly my heart wants me to go to NJMS because it will just be smuch more comfortable, familiar, and economically sound, but I honestly don't know if I will be closing some doors by doing so. UVA/Dartmouth are objectively much better schools with better names and as someone who is interested in getting the best possible residency and possibly going into academics I don't know what the best option is and I am still very conflicted :(

Yeah honestly my heart wants me to go to NJMS because it will just be smuch more comfortable, familiar, and economically sound, but I honestly don't know if I will be closing some doors by doing so. UVA/Dartmouth are objectively much better schools with better names and as someone who is interested in getting the best possible residency and possibly going into academics I don't know what the best option is and I am still very conflicted :(

Hey, I am in a very very similar situation. For me its NJMS vs BU :/

Where you go to school is important, but not as important as your pre-clinical grades and step 1 scores. PDs would much rather see you come from NJMS with awesome numbers and research than an ivy with average/mediocre stats

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it! I've just never had to go away from near home yet so I am a little apprehensive and nervous about making the big change

Totally understand... I think you gotta decide if you value the challenge/personal growth associated with moving away or the support system of staying close to home. None of us can answer that for you.

In terms of academics, I would definitely pick UVA. It's an excellent school.

I wouldn't just pick the cheapest one, you'll make enough money to pay it back.