DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey all!

I am in the terrible predicament in my senior year because I have waited 2 years to take Orgo Lab 2. I have an NMR/Mass Spec question that I cannot figure out. My prof barely covered mass spec so I am not sure how to go about doing it. I have to determine the structure of the compound with the following data:

7.5 ppm multiplet 3H, 3.5ppm quartet 1H, 2.0ppm singlet 3H, 1.0 ppm doublet 3H, Mass Spectrum M+= 304/308 ratio 1:1, and IR Peak at 1700cm-1

I know the compound must have 9 hydrogens and contains at least one carbonyl group, but I am not sure how to go on. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks so much in advance. :)

About the Ads

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
That is all the information given. Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Thanks for the help. :)

trying

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
sounds like a benzene ring with a carbonyl sticking off it or attached to an alkane branching from the ring

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Thanks so much trying and podany24! I am not sure what the M+ 304/308 ratio 1:1 is. I am thinking the 304 and 308 are the 2 different molecular weights perhaps dealing with isotopes of halogens or other elements. I think the 1:1 means their relative abundances which means that the molecular weight should be around 306. Can anyone confirm this? I am just thinking this all through and that makes the most sense to me.

podany24

15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Most likely the two MW refer to two different Hydration states. But without more info I cant go anywhere with this. Would need some carbon info to go any further.

ChE_Babe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
These are both databases that are very helpful. You can search using a variety of criteria and they'll shoot back compounds that match. I used them as a check when identifying compounds, because once you have it narrowed down finding matching spectra is very reassuring!

This one has pictures of NMR/IR and is my favorite:
http://www.aist.go.jp/RIODB/SDBS/sdbs/owa/sdbs_sea.cre_frame_sea

This database has only organics compounds and has more limited spectra information, but can be helpful nonetheless:
http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/cmp/cmp.html

DrWorkNeverDone

Carters Mistress
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Sacramento
groups.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
is there a halogen present? it is way too high a number to be simply a hydrocarbon with a carbonyl....the 3H on the NMR at 7.5 suggests a trisubs. benzene...but since you only have three different signals that means that all the subs must be the same...i was thinking that the subs were 3 carbons with the middle being a carbonyl but things are not adding up right...usually in my class we dont talk about beyond 156 and around there.....so does that mean that 304 and 308 would act like a bromide? remember that the 1 to 1 means that the signals are equal....but im not sure if it accounts for things more than 2 steps away from one another...hope this helps.

usmaple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2002
Status (Visible)
Well, here are a few guesses:

-the 7.5 3H is most likely a trisubstituted benzene ring
-the singlet with 3H could mean there's a -COCH3 attached to the ring (i.e. a carbonyl carbon directly attached to the ring with an alkyl group attached to the carbonyl carbon).
-the 1H quartet at 3.5 and the 3H doublet could be a -CHX-CH3 attached to the ring
-1:1 is usually Br, but that would be separated by 2 mass units. Is it possible there's actually a 306 peak as well, in a 1:2:1 (304:306:308)? That would mean 2 Br's, so both the 3rd substitution and the X in -CHX-CH3 could be Br.

So a trisub benzene ring with -Br, -COCH3, and -CHBr-CH3 attached in some orientation (I think you would determine it from the actual pattern in the 7.5 range), which would have 10 H's and a MW of 306. I'm not 100% sure on it, but you could check the calc's and draw it out to make sure everything fits in.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.