joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi, I was doing NMR questions and got stuck when I came across aromatic structures.

When we count NMR, I believe that we only count 1 from each when a structure is perfectly symmetrical.
Does that mean ortho, meta, and para are all the same and thus have only 1?
I drew some pictures here, hoping to learn more about NMR for aromatic rings.

If you got time to do at least 1 of them, could you tell me how many H-NMR and C-NMR you expect from the following pictures?

Thanks.

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
talking CNMR, for the first one i would expect to see 3 signals - 1 for the methyl, 1 for the C connecting the methyl to the rest of the ring, and 1 for the 2 C's on either side, because they're equal -- because the other half of the ring is the same, those signals are "canceled out" (edit: but don't take my word for it...?)

2 for the second one (next to the first one), 5 for the 3rd one, 2 for the 4th one, 4 for the 5th one, 5 for the 6th one.

editing: for H NMR i found a site that says 1,4 dimethylbenzene (the first one) will have 2 singlets. one around 2 for the methyl H's and one around 7 for the disubstituted benzene ring. i'm afraid i won't be much help for the other questions... and here's that site... they're little true/false quizzes it looks like.

http://www.mp-docker.demon.co.uk/as_a2/topics/nmr_without_ss/index.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads