skiiboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2004
Status
Perhaps you guys can help shed some light on this issue for me. I will be starting osteopathic school this fall. My main motivation for attending osteopathic school is for the philosophy, omm ... in essence I want to be an osteopath, not an allopathic medical doctor. My goal is graduate as quickly as possible and practice similar to how a chiropractor practices. I would have attended chiropractic school (because of stronger philosophy and more physical medicine training), but because of the limited license and inadequate medical training as compared to osteopathic school, I did not. I would like to know if the 2 year AOA residency in nms/omm includes the 1 year rotating internship which is needed or is that an additional year? Also, after one year of residency can I technically see patients in a private office setting outside of the hospital? Also, it is my understanding that only about 1% of osteopaths take this route, so I'm assuming it is probably an easy spot to match with. Is this true? Thanks in advance for everyones help. :)

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
skiiboy said:
Perhaps you guys can help shed some light on this issue for me. I will be starting osteopathic school this fall. My main motivation for attending osteopathic school is for the philosophy, omm ... in essence I want to be an osteopath, not an allopathic medical doctor. My goal is graduate as quickly as possible and practice similar to how a chiropractor practices. I would have attended chiropractic school (because of stronger philosophy and more physical medicine training), but because of the limited license and inadequate medical training as compared to osteopathic school, I did not. I would like to know if the 2 year AOA residency in nms/omm includes the 1 year rotating internship which is needed or is that an additional year? Also, after one year of residency can I technically see patients in a private office setting outside of the hospital? Also, it is my understanding that only about 1% of osteopaths take this route, so I'm assuming it is probably an easy spot to match with. Is this true? Thanks in advance for everyones help. :)
No, the two-year NMS residency does not include the one-year rotating internship. I would also consider a combined osteopathic NMS-FP residency if you really want to practice comprehensive osteopathic medicine. The combined residency through UNE is outstanding.

http://www.une.edu/com/residency/residency.html

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
skiiboy said:
All physicians must complete a minimum of 3-years postgraduate medical training.

If you would like to become board certified in OMT, then you must complete a 1-year internship, and then a 2-year OMT residency.

There are 1-year OMT fellowships available only if you have completed another residency, i.e. Family Medicine.

Keep in mind that there are many AOA Family Medicine residencies that are combined FM/OMT.

OP
S

skiiboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2004
Status
Thanks for the info. Are these fp/omm residencies specifically titled as such. Or are you implying that just any AOA fp residency includes omm. Also, I know you said that every physician needs a minimum of 3 years to be licensed, but I have heard from several sources that you become licensed in your first year of residency. That is why I asked if you can practice in a private practice setting after your first year, while also completing your residency. Anyone ever heard of this? Also, if I just complete the 2 year nms/omm program without doing the year of internship, can I still practice in all of the states other than those few that require it. Also, if you are a DO who did not complete the internship year and then later move to one of those few states that require it, are you required to go back and do this year? Thanks

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
You only have to do 1 year to be licensed, but you severely limit your ability to work (ie: get hospital priveleges and insurance contracts) if you don't actually finish a residency in something.

And, yes, the FP/OMM residencies are listed as such.

wrentana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2001
Maine
Visit site
Status
OSUDoc- I don't actually know of all that many FP/NMM residencies. I think it is a stretch to say there are a lot of them. I know we have a good program here at UNECOM but I see five other programs in the country. One of my profs was saying the other day that two more programs are in the works- currently in the process of getting certified to start accepting residents in the next year or two. He didn't know where they were at though.... Anyone know where these programs might be at?

raptor5

Fooled by Randomness
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Without cell reception
OSUDoc- I don't actually know of all that many FP/NMM residencies. I think it is a stretch to say there are a lot of them. I know we have a good program here at UNECOM but I see five other programs in the country. One of my profs was saying the other day that two more programs are in the works- currently in the process of getting certified to start accepting residents in the next year or two. He didn't know where they were at though.... Anyone know where these programs might be at?
Osteopathic Residencies

There are quite a few but for the most part geographically clustered in undesirable parts of the country, for me anyway. Fort Worth doesn't seem that bad though.