No acceptance, waitlist, or rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeisenbergDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas what no acceptance/no rejection/no waitlist after an interview means at this stage of the application cycle?

Similarly, any ideas what no interview invite/no rejection means at this stage of the cycle? I've read on here that some of the schools have already concluded interviews so I don't understand why no decision has been made.

If anybody can provide some sort of insight on these circumstances, that would be very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends when you had your interview, if you interviewed within the past month or two, there's still a chance. Continue to update that school with what you are doing (working, school, research, volunteering, etc.) and why you are still interested in that school.

If you haven't been invited to a school's interview, chances are you won't get one this late in the game unless that school has a lot of seats open (NYU). You should email admissions about your continued interest in the school.

At this point, realistically, you should definitely think about reapplying. Maybe they were considering you but found more qualified applicants and your application got lost in the mix. It sadly does happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare for the worse, hope for the best.

Any ideas what no acceptance/no rejection/no waitlist after an interview means at this stage of the application cycle?

Similarly, any ideas what no interview invite/no rejection means at this stage of the cycle? I've read on here that some of the schools have already concluded interviews so I don't understand why no decision has been made.

If anybody can provide some sort of insight on these circumstances, that would be very appreciated.
Personal experience.....of the schools that I never heard from, never interviewed with, etc. but never received an official rejection, it was just death by silence. Unfortunately some schools take the approach that you are not officially rejected until their first day of classes. I've never quite understood why schools take that approach, as they should be more forthcoming with their communication to the hardworking applicants trying to get in. Just don't give up, even if it means preparing for the next cycle to open in June.

Personal experience.....of the schools that I never heard from, never interviewed with, etc. but never received an official rejection, it was just death by silence. Unfortunately some schools take the approach that you are not officially rejected until their first day of classes. I've never quite understood why schools take that approach, as they should be more forthcoming with their communication to the hardworking applicants trying to get in. Just don't give up, even if it means preparing for the next cycle to open in June.
If you spend the time, energy, and $ to interview the least they could do is send an email.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your input. Fortunately, I already accepted an offer somewhere but I was just particularly curious about one interview I had in December which I haven't heard back from and about other schools who did not invite me for interview, yet haven't rejected me. But honestly, I have to agree with JLT223, if we spend all this money and time trying to convince them that we want to go to their school the least they could do is send some sort of mass email to ease our minds.

Reactions: 1 users