No Acceptances :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OGMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for the 2010 cycle with these stats:

• 3.67 c/sGPA (had a 3.3ish average 1st year but have maintained 3.7-3.85 every quarter since)
  • 35Q (lowest score of 11, so fairly balanced)
  • CA Undergrad (UC)/CA resident
  • Almost 2 years research (two different projects) with grant
  • Executive Leadership positions in multiple on campus orgs
  • 300+ hours clinical volunteering
  • 150+ hours shadowing
  • Work near full-time for last 5 years straight
  • LOR’s I know 2 were strong, 1 I didn’t get to read but I can't think of any reason it would be bad.
  • PS was decent, but probably not amazing.
Primary was verified 8/10/2010 and secondaries were in within 1-3 weeks for each school. I applied to about 20 schools, probably 10 top 25 and 10 lower.

Results: two interviews and waitlists, one at a UC and one at top tier private school.

So I'm preparing to reapply regardless of my status at these two schools, though I am hoping to get in and have sent LOI to both frequently.

For this years app, I have reworked and added the following:

• GPA is up to 3.69ish
  • Personal statement is MUCH better
  • Additional LOR
  • 50 hrs of Tutoring/mentorship
  • 50 hrs non-medical volunteering
  • Publication in school run journal
  • 2 poster presentations
  • All other activities have continued for the most part.
Is this enough change/consistency for reapplication? I will be graduating this June, and I don't really want to wait a year to reapply. I will be submitting June 2nd for sure this year.

Any ideas as to changes I should make or insight into why I struggled this year?

Thanks for reading the long post :)

Members don't see this ad.

Only thing I can recommend is try to get that application out by mid July at the latest ,preferably at the very start of the cycle.

See if you can get an comprehensive open file review of your application and ask pointed questions to see if they are willing to disclose how strong they felt your LOR were. Sometimes your own feelings about how they were aren't a good representation of what is actually written.

Hopefully one of those LOR is from a physician who is willing to attest to the amount of time you spent shadowing (seems substantial) as well as what you have learned/been exposed to and your bedside manner/dedication to medicine.

But yeah, I really would emphasize applying earlier and more broadly.

Good luck

Apply more broadly. I get the feeling that you only applied to the very top schools and at the UCs, you stats are unfortunately a dime a dozen.

Only thing I can recommend is try to get that application out by mid July at the latest ,preferably at the very start of the cycle.

See if you can get an comprehensive open file review of your application and ask pointed questions to see if they are willing to disclose how strong they felt your LOR were. Sometimes your own feelings about how they were aren't a good representation of what is actually written.

Hopefully one of those LOR is from a physician who is willing to attest to the amount of time you spent shadowing (seems substantial) as well as what you have learned/been exposed to and your bedside manner/dedication to medicine.

Good luck

Apply more broadly. I get the feeling that you only applied to the very top schools and at the UCs, you stats are unfortunately a dime a dozen.

I would be willing to bet that this is your main problem. You applied to schools that put you in the middle group of people. Unfortunately all California schools have high averages. My advice would be similar to jslo, look around for schools you still like but have more average averages if you will. Still apply to your reach schools and the good ones you like but include three or four safer schools as well. Good luck! You have the grades, trend, and MCAT to get you looked at at alot of schools. Make good decisions about how many and where you apply next time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck

I chose schools using the school selector spreadsheet. About 3-4 hopeful, 8-10 go for it, and 5-7 high chance. I applied to what I thought would be "safeties" like NYMC, penn state, drexel, rosalind, wake forest and about 2 more similar schools and was rejected from all of them. I spoke to the dean from Wake Forest who said they liked my application but felt "that suffer from a tyranny of numbers" and that if invited, they felt I would garner acceptance and attend a more prestigious school. Penn State's dean also shared this sentiment. I feel like this is unfair to assume this, because I would gladly take acceptances or even interviews to either. But oh well.

The impression I got was that my application was not "rounded" enough for the better schools (though my MCAT was on par) and that it was too high for the safety schools. So neither gave me the opportunity.

I'm hoping that my added research + ec's combined with an earlier application and a better understanding of the process will help this year.

if they mentioned "well rounded" then that would bring it back to my point of the LOR from a physician. Shadowing itself is the first step but the point is to be able to experience many of the different facets that a physician goes through in his profession and in the office. If you have done this great, just pointing things out.

Also for the research, the presentations will be a nice point as it shows that something has come of your extensive time in them. For instance, I can put down i have done clinical research for X hours but without my two publications and my PI's LOR, it's close to a meaningless stat to them. Something really needs to come out of the time you put into something.

Another thing to mention is it's a good sign that you have non clinical volunteering. They want "well rounded" applicants like you said and the fact that you can demonstrate that you invest time in volunteering in the community or other things show that all the things you have done are not just for show but that you have a genuine interest.

Last point I'll make is when attending an interview, it's a good thing to keep in mind to be balanced. When you bring certain things up, you should always try and present yourself from all angles. "You returned home from college to begin work and spend time with family as well as take advantage of shadowing and research opportunities."

I think the changes you have made are good, it's just a point to making them recognize your new efforts and putting it in a way that they get that "well rounded" impression. Also work on your secondaries a bit more to tailor it to the school and why that school rather than a generic I like medicine statement but I'm sure you already know that (referring to the Wake Forest director's statement on choosing other schools). Good luck

Most advice here is good so I wont repeat the details.

APPLY EARLY (as you planned) and APPLY BROADLY (look in Midwest if you haven't already)

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

I think your plan is O.K.
You probably suffered from having a somewhat higher MCAT along with average-ish grades. Perhaps the less prestigious schools and the ones outside of California felt you'd be unlikely to attend/accept, and you weren't quite competitive for the upper tier schools.

With your stats you might think about cutting out a few of the upper-tier schools. Remember, there are no "safety" med schools; those don't really exist. EVERY school has students beating down the doors trying to get in.
I suggest trying private schools in the Midwest and South. Apply to all the UC's again. If you don't want to give up any of your 8-10 "high tier" schools, then just apply to more schools (like 30-35) as you have to accept that being in CA probably drops your chance of getting into any state med school.

Remember when you go to interviews, you better act like you want in THEIR school.

Apply very early in the cycle.

Apply

The best thing to do is ask the schools themselves. Many will tell you how you didn't measure up.

I'm sorry it's been tough for you, my stats are very similar to yours and I've had it fairly easier. It would seem it's more than just grades; iron out an excellent PS with a strong narrative of why you're pursuing medicine, using your EC's as stepping stones in the journey of realization of your medical desires.

I feel I had a very strong letter, a letter should be more than generic compliments (note: emphatic compliments can still be generic) but that's really not under your control, save for your choice.

Make sure it's someone who can say "OGMD is fantastic b/c they can do x,y,z, and caused all of these great innovative things to happen." Your accomplishments should be more than grades.

Best for next cycle.

If you're interested in attending Tulane SOM and/or you want another item to put on your CV, you might want to check out the Anatomy Certification Program (ACP).

http://www.som.tulane.edu/scb/acpinfo.htm

That being said, I'm a little shocked your stats haven't landed you a place just yet. Good luck!

Application is good, you just need to apply to different schools.

After having all that and your still asking if it is enough. I don't know what you can get lol