No activities in past yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated last yr and Ive been working full time, and I have no healthcare activities to add to my amcas....will that loook bad???

Members don't see this ad.

Similar case for me, however, I did continue volunteering at a hospital, and work with the army as medic part time. But full time, I have been working elsewhere not medicine related, but very tangentially health care related. Does that go against me. I have something to show for my time though, 'cause I made close to 90K in the past year :). However, I have pretty much ended all the stuff that I was doing on campus ever since I finished my undergrad.

Is that a bad thing?

Piyush

I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world, unless you're a re-applicant. In your personal statement or in an interview you can always spin your work outside the medical field as catalyst for solidifying your resolve to pursue medicine (or whatever).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world, unless you're a re-applicant. In your personal statement or in an interview you can always spin your work outside the medical field as catalyst for solidifying your resolve to pursue medicine (or whatever).

I am a re-applicant, but didnt get in bc of mcat score...and my job is not health care related at all.

I am a re-applicant, but didnt get in bc of mcat score...and my job is not health care related at all.

Well, from what I understand of the re-applicant stigma (since I have that myself) is that you need to improve your application on multiple fronts the second time around. It could be a bad thing there's no new medical related activities if that was something you were deficient in last cycle. But if you've raised your MCAT and/or GPA, then I bet it would be less of a deal.

Like already mentioned - reapplicants are a little different.

But for the average applicant there is nothing wrong with working for a little while. I took a year off and worked in something completely unrelated to healthcare and as someone else said it was nice to talk about in interviews because I could say that while it was a very interesting thing to learn to do I hated being in an office and it furthered my resolve to go on and become a physician.

Like already mentioned - reapplicants are a little different.

But for the average applicant there is nothing wrong with working for a little while. I took a year off and worked in something completely unrelated to healthcare and as someone else said it was nice to talk about in interviews because I could say that while it was a very interesting thing to learn to do I hated being in an office and it furthered my resolve to go on and become a physician.

is it ok to say that in an interview? I hated working at so and so job. I mean I really dont like my job, but is it bad to bashing it.

I don't think it will kill you. But it definitely doesn't look good or help you. Start volunteering somewhere RIGHT NOW and add it to your AMCAS. Be sure to mention in the description that you will be continuing in that volunteering throughout the summer/year.

I don't think it will kill you. But it definitely doesn't look good or help you. Start volunteering somewhere RIGHT NOW and add it to your AMCAS. Be sure to mention in the description that you will be continuing in that volunteering throughout the summer/year.

I second this. I have been told by a dean that going from having extracurriculars like volunteering/shadowing/whatever to having nothing outside of your "job" (whether it be school or work) is not a good sign. Don't give them any ammunition to question your commitment to medicine!

is it ok to say that in an interview? I hated working at so and so job. I mean I really dont like my job, but is it bad to bashing it.

You don't have to bash it, per se. You're applying to med school, so you obviously are trying to start a different career from your current one. It would make sense for you to say something like "I enjoy my job fine, but I can't imagine doing it year after year. I want something more challenging..." etc. etc.

don't bad mouth anything! be positive about your job, say what you learned, why you liked it, how it will help you achieve your goals and why you love medicine! gah! "Is it bad to bashing it"? mangled english aside, that's messed up on a few levels.

ok cool. thanks for the advice guys.

don't bad mouth anything! be positive about your job, say what you learned, why you liked it, how it will help you achieve your goals and why you love medicine! gah! "Is it bad to bashing it"? mangled english aside, that's messed up on a few levels.

haha I swear I'm literate and also innocent:D