No Biology/MCAT

Started by tmg1325
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tmg1325

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I switched to considering the medical profession relatively recently. I was a Chemistry major in undergraduate and I'm set to graduate in May. Right now my cumulative GPA is 3.24 and my major GPA is 2.87, although my all science GPA would be a bit higher. (Does all science GPA generally include math? I'm not sure how to calculate it.)

I'm wondering if there were any programs that I would be accepted to and that would prepare me for medical school. I have only taken one very introductory Biology course, so I didn't take the MCAT. I took the GRE and scored 1460 (680V, 780Q), and I will be taking Biochemistry next semester. I have taken all the required chemistry and physics courses.

Most of the programs I've looked at seem to be either aimed at improving MCAT scores or for people who did not major in science in undergrad. Are there any programs that would fit me? I could take Bio at a community college this summer, but I'm not totally confident that a community college course would really prepare me very well.

Thanks!
 
im also an ugrad (wohoo seniors!) and not exactly an expert in this but i can offer you my 2 cents:

- sGPA is also referred to as BCMP-bio,chem, math, physics so yes, it does include math
- im not sure what your recalculated sGPA is but you said "a bit higher" so im going to assume hovering at or below a 3 in which case you should take more sci classes
- if what you are referring to when you say "medical profession" is medical school, i have read in many many threads on SDN that comm college grades are not looked upon as favorably as uni grades by med schools. esp if you have no previous bckgd in biology and will not in any way be able to evade the biology section of the MCAT in your journey to attending med school, it would be best if you were taught well the first time around.

my recommendation would be to apply to a masters pgm/SMP/grad school all depending upon your personal belief in how well you can get As in hard science courses and urgency to attend med school